SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-13, 01:49 AM   #1
ygirouard
Seaman

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0
Default CTD with NewUI TDW mod + TDW Generic Patcher whenever a torpedoe is about to hit

After I try to load/install the NewUI mod over the Generic Patcher mod, it says a file has already been modified:

"TDWFileUtils.dll" has already been altered by the "TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_122_0" mod.
"TDWUtils.dll" has already been altered by the "TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_122_0" mod.

And asks if I want to still enable it... Nowhere in the readmes or instructions for any of the two mods does it mention this could happen, so I don't know if it's normal or not. Is it?

Has anyone else got any CTD with torpedoes using this mod combo ? If so what did I do wrong?
ygirouard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 04:17 AM   #2
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

use TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_122_0 als stand alone ( not enable with JGSME )
how to use
TDW_GenericPatcher take a look here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=7773

Last edited by Sjizzle; 07-06-13 at 06:11 AM.
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:21 AM   #3
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygirouard View Post
...Nowhere in the readmes or instructions for any of the two mods does it mention this could happen, so I don't know if it's normal or not. Is it?
Has anyone else got any CTD with torpedoes using this mod combo ? If so what did I do wrong?
Welcome aboard

GenericPatcher is an application.. not a mod..
Use it as Sjizzle mentioned
And have a look at this 'How to' post by TDW - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
use TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_122_0 als stand alone ( not enable with JGSME )
how to use
TDW_GenericPatcher take a look here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197960 and http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=7773
You suggested to use patcher separately.. and gave a link to the 'How to" by Trevally where it's used as a mod through the JSGME..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 06:10 AM   #4
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Welcome aboard

GenericPatcher is an application.. not a mod..
Use it as Sjizzle mentioned
And have a look at this 'How to' post by TDW - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=10

You suggested to use patcher separately.. and gave a link to the 'How to" by Trevally where it's used as a mod through the JSGME..
ups damn i made stupid n00b mistake
Old 07-06-13, 06:21 AM   #5
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
ups damn i made stupid n00b mistake
We all make mistakes.. and more often than we want and think

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 11:27 AM   #6
ygirouard
Seaman

Now I'm confused. I already followed the How To by Trevally (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197960) but the instructions are outdated and don't mention how to use it WITH the other TDW NewUI mod.

The post you linked to install it as an application doesn't help either (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=10) ... it doesn't explain what I'm supposed to do with the extra files (i.e. the stuff in the MODS folder inside the zip, the extra torpedo fixes and crew damage control stuff...)

All I'm looking for really is a concise and CLEAR how to on how to install both the NewUI mod AND the Generic Patcher correctly together. I'm a system administrator and do scripting and programming in various languages, and I consider myself relatively savvy when it comes to things like this. Despite that, I was able to get the NewUI mod working by reading and digging even when the instructions were not clear, but this is just too confusing due to bad instructions and I've spent 2 hours messing with it yesterday with no good results.

I can install NewUI separately as a mod, that's fine and it works. The Generic Patcher however is more complex and I can't find a very good set of instructions for it (mainly with the dependencies that just mention the name of a file but don't explain how to use it, and the file itself doesn't contain much instructions either).

The official thread to download it from doesn't contain any instructions (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39&postcount=1) and links two threads at the bottom for how-to's. The first one has broken images and seems outdated, and the second one is the one by Trevally which also has part that don't match the latest download from TheDarkWraith (the files inside the zip are organized differently and there are more than the how-to shows).

I did read all the readme's wherever I found one and even opened config (.py or txt) to read comments where applicable. The info is really spread all over the place with these mods and some contradict themselves. Why the author doesn't simply write instructions himself at the bottom of his download thread where he can keep it updated as he changes things is beyond me.

Bottom-line, please don't direct me to outdated how-to's that don't explain everything when I already said I tried to follow them. TDW's mod and application may be great, but the one thing it's very lacking in is CLEAR instructions on how to use them !

Now can someone please answer these question directly?

1. In what what order must I install/use the NewUI mod and Generic Patcher
for them to work well together ?

2. Do I install the Generic Patcher as a mod or not ?

3. How do I load/install the dependencies of the patcher (torpedo files, crew damage control files) and in what order ? Do I just load them as mods ?

4. The torpedo fix dependency shows 4 variants to use. Two stock and two FX ones... Do I just pick ONE of them and if so what's the difference ? The readme that comes with it doesn't explain or describe what they are very well.

While you guys try to answer these questions, I'll try to to reinstall a fresh copy of the game just in case I screwed something up, and will mess with it on my own the best I can to install the Generic Patcher as a standalone, load the dependencies as mods and install NewUI over it and see if I still get CTDs. I'm not sure if it's the right way, but if it doesn't work I'll come back here.

I just really wish it was easier and more user friendly and that the author wrote his own set of clear instructions...
Old 07-06-13, 11:45 AM   #7
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Ever heard of the phrase DLL hell? It's what you are experiencing. My UIs mod contains DLLs that I wrote. The Generic Patcher contains DLLs I wrote. They both share 2 common DLLs. You can't let one overwrite the other's DLLs (they could be different versions). That is why you need to use the Generic Patcher as a stand-alone app and DO NOT unzip it to your \Silent Hunter 5 folder. Place it on your desktop, create a new folder for it, whatever just don't place it in your \Silent Hunter 5 folder.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 07-06-13 at 11:57 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 12:01 PM   #8
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Ever heard of the phrase DLL hell? It's what you are experiencing. My UIs mod contains DLLs that I wrote. The Generic Patcher contains DLLs I wrote. They both share 2 common DLLs. You can't let one overwrite the other's DLLs (they could be different versions). That is why you need to use the Generic Patcher as a stand-alone app and DO NOT unzip it to your \Silent Hunter 5 folder. Place it on your desktop, create a new folder for it, whatever just don't place it in your \Silent Hunter 5 folder.
Hi TheDarkWraith, and thanks for answering one of my questions (indirectly though). FYI I did not unzip in the install directory and followed the instructions from Trevally that you linked in your thread (you should revise them though cause they are not all up to date).

That said, since you're the author, would you care to answer my other questions as well ? That would be most helpful.
Old 07-06-13, 12:37 PM   #9
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Install my UIs mod as you've already done.
Extract Generic Patcher to desktop (or folder of your choice)
Run the Generic Patcher and enable the patches you want (you'll need to point the app to the files in your \Silent Hunter 5 folder or to the folder containing those files it needs to patch)
If a patch has a Files= entry that does not say None then you need to double click it. It will open the appropriate app on your computer for the file.
In the case of the torpedo patches you need to place one of those folders it brings up into your \Silent Hunter 5\MODS folder. This is because the patch for the torpedoes expects ALL values to be in 0.0-1.0 range (which they are not in the stock torpedoe's .sim file). Which folder you pick depends on the mods you have installed.
Old 07-06-13, 12:56 PM   #10
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
Install my UIs mod as you've already done.
Ok, easy enough.

Quote:
Extract Generic Patcher to desktop (or folder of your choice)
Run the Generic Patcher and enable the patches you want (you'll need to point the app to the files in your \Silent Hunter 5 folder or to the folder containing those files it needs to patch)
If a patch has a Files= entry that does not say None then you need to double click it. It will open the appropriate app on your computer for the file.
Can you list the files I need to backup first? I can't find an up-to date list of those.

Quote:
In the case of the torpedo patches you need to place one of those folders it brings up into your \Silent Hunter 5\MODS folder. This is because the patch for the torpedoes expects ALL values to be in 0.0-1.0 range (which they are not in the stock torpedoe's .sim file).
Do I just put it in the MODS folder or I also have to activate it with JSGME? Can you be clear please?

Quote:
Which folder you pick depends on the mods you have installed.
Can you be more detailed on this statement? Depends on what mods? If I only install your NewUI mod in addition to the Generic Patcher, which one do I need to pick? I appreciate your help, but please be clear!
Old 07-06-13, 01:04 PM   #11
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygirouard View Post
Can you list the files I need to backup first? I can't find an up-to date list of those.

When the app has loaded all the patches you will see a treenode entry for each patch file it loaded. If you expand that treenode you'll see the file the patches are for. That is the file you need to backup. You can also click File-->Backup

Do I just put it in the MODS folder or I also have to activate it with JSGME? Can you be clear please?

It's understood that if you want to use a mod that you have placed in the MODS folder you have to enable it via JSGME

Can you be more detailed on this statement? Depends on what mods? If I only install your NewUI mod in addition to the Generic Patcher, which one do I need to pick? I appreciate your help, but please be clear!

When you double click that link it opens the application for unzipping you currently have set in your window's registry. If you open the first folder you'll find a file called Readme.txt that was made by volodya71. It's pretty clear what the folders are for if you open that up. If you have my FX_Update mod installed then you need to choose of the folders for FX_Update. If you don't then you need to choose one of the two other folders. If you want magnetic detonator range set to 3m (vice stock 2m) then select the folder with 3m in it.
See above in yellow. I was prior Navy and the expression "quit nukeing it!" comes to mind currently. Those who were Nukes also will understand that expression!
Old 07-06-13, 02:05 PM   #12
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
It's understood that if you want to use a mod that you have placed in the MODS folder you have to enable it via JSGME

See? Not really... If you say put it in that folder, but don't say to activate it, I thought the patcher just needed it to be there to load something from it or something. You're assuming we know how your app works in the background... If you had said "load the mod using JSGME" then it would have be clear that you needed to copy it in that MODS folder first and then load it, but that's not what you wrote. That's what I meant by "ambiguous".

Quote:
See above in yellow. I was prior Navy and the expression "quit nukeing it!" comes to mind currently. Those who were Nukes also will understand that expression!
Thanks... It's the FX Update part I didn't know what it was... I'm new to this forum, so I'm not familiar with all the mods you've ever written. A link to that mod in the readme would have been helpful to understand that.

You assume everyone knows what you know or that what you know should be obvious to everyone. You shouldn't... keep that in mind the next time you write a readme

I'm done "nuking" it for now... but I've never seen a mod or application so badly documented before.
Old 07-06-13, 02:26 PM   #13
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

it's not bad documented at all....u can finde the solution for all problems on this forum .... from how to enable mods till how to hunt a convoy ....