SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-11, 10:08 PM   #1
JonBradbury
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Steam Help

Hi everyone, I'm new here having bought the game during the Steam sale. I bought SH3 SH4 and SH4:U-Boat. I've been playing the first two vanilla so far no problems. Went to launch U-boat and now very confused.

So here's the deal I would launch SH4 all goes fine, I get the Ubi logo, the poem "fly envious time..." then the Silent Hunter loading splash and into the menu.

I launch SH4:U-boat and same thing happens, Ubi logo, "fly envious time..." then Silent Hunter U-Boat loading splash. After the menu comes up as normal but no where can I do anything German. I can start a new career at Pearl or Asiatic, or load my normal SH4 US career.

I go back double check SH4 launch it up and now the SH4 loading splash screen is gone replaced with the U-boat screen, but still SH4 menu and saves. I saw someone in another thread suggest renaming the SH4 folder in documents, I tried that but nothing happened.

I've not tried anything else yet, currently backing up both games see if I can't un/re-install and have it fix itself. Just curious if anyone knows what's going on here or know what to do.

*****Update. OK so I deleted the local files for both SH4:U-Boat. Tried to launch SH4 but got "this game is unavailable" warning. Uninstalled SH4 as well. Reinstalled both and verified the game file cache for both [u-boat had 720 files corrupted and reacquired... maybe that was the issue?]. Launched U-Boat and now have a U-Boat campaign option available. Also noticed it's now version 1.5 when it had been 1.3 before. So in case anyone runs into a similar problem try that.

Last edited by JonBradbury; 01-04-11 at 11:04 PM.
JonBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 11:22 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

My recommendation, and that of others as well, is to get a hard copy of the game. A lot of people have had problems with the game that they either got from Steam or downloaded elsewhere.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 03:41 AM   #3
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome Aboard JonBradbury!

good advice has been delivered to you!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 10:38 AM   #4
JonBradbury
Nub

Downloads: 0

Kinda too late to take that advice, but I see what you mean. Like I said it was the steam sale, so it's not like I was a fan and wanting to get them. They were on sale and had good reviews so I thought I'd give them a shot. I think the three games came in a pack and cost less than $10. SH4 Gold cost four times that and doesn't come with SH3.

Also it's still cheaper on steam with SH4 and U-Boat combined for less than $30; Amazon doesn't have it in their digital store yet so gold is $10 more for a physical copy there. If amazon does put it up in their digital store yeah probably would be a better option for people wanting it. But until then it's still 25% less on steam.

Any way as I mentioned before all three games are working fine now so I'm happy with it.
JonBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:58 PM   #5
Akulla
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 117

I too have a steam copy of SH4, and was wondering if its possible to use any of the mods here on this website for my copy?, if so how do I go about using the mods and what ones do you recommend?
Akulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:05 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD, both of you!

I can't say anything about Steam one way or the other, because they won't let me download anything (for some reason they thought Utah was outside the United States - maybe they're right).

To answer the last question, yes, most mods will work with a Steam copy. I've read that you should back it up first, just in case.
Old 03-04-11, 01:19 PM   #7
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Reviving a somewhat old (but perhaps useful) thread.

I bought the Steam version of SH4+UBM in the last Steam end-of-year sale. No trouble using mods so far, but I've only played the US side, using Trigger Maru Overhaul 2.0 mainly.

Regardless of where or how you got SH4, the first thing you should do after installing it is make a backup copy of the installed game. Yes, it's sort of a whopper at >5 GB, but HDD space is cheap today.

Whenever you start to have problems with random crashes and/or mods not working, you can simply restore from the unmodified backup. It might still not make the mods work or crashes stop, but it will eliminate one possible cause of problems.
Old 03-04-11, 10:13 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Reviving a somewhat old (but perhaps useful) thread.
A month is hardly old, especially in a place where people regularly revive five-year-old threads and answer a post as if it's only been five minutes.

And your advice is good - always keep a clean copy of the game somewhere safe. I have two copies of SH3, one stock and one GWX, and once my new computer comes I'll have LSH3 and WAC as well. I also have three copies of SH4 - one stock, one OM and one RFB on the American side.

There's no such thing as "too safe", and MultiSH4 is your friend.
Old 03-04-11, 11:56 PM   #9
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

I need to figure out about MultiSH4 or something similar. It's getting to be quite a chore managing savegames, remembering which saves were made with which mods enabled and such.

The in-game save manager for SH4 leaves much to be desired.

I haven't even done any U-boat careers yet, but I did download Operation Monsun.
Old 03-05-11, 11:14 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

With OM you really need MultiSH4. Otherwise you'll be stuck with either American or German voices, as SH4 doesn't let you switch.