SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-07, 04:12 PM   #16
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof1701
My pleasure,
Glad you like the link.
BTW: do you have a C1 in your Merchant Mod
I love the C-1 to death but I decided against it. I already had two modern composite deckhouse ships and adding three would seem excessive. I might make one as a separate mod.
Below is one of the large freighters designed to represent ships like the C-3. It is by no means an exact copy but it has several modern stylistic features, such as lots of kingposts, a slanted bow, short funnel, and shrouding on the deckhouse (designed to give a ship an aerodynamic, "modern" feel". Although it is shown in Japanese colors it will also serve all of the U.S. companies that had large modern freighters - Lykes, American Export, Alcoa, and Moore-McCormack.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 06:01 PM   #17
fright52
Seaman

Downloads: 8
Default C4

Woof - My dad shipped out of Richmond CA on board the AP-130 G.O. Squier troop transport ship which was a C4-S-A1 type hull ship. Displacement ranged from 9,900 to 17,250 tons with a maximum speed of 17 knots. I'm amazed that there are no model kits for a WWll troop transport ship to be found. I guess everyone thinks our troops were just 'beamed' overseas to win the war!

Last edited by fright52; 01-01-17 at 06:07 PM. Reason: [URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/fright52/media/SS%20John%20W%20Brown/USS_General_G.O._Squier_AP-130.jpg.html][IMG]http
fright52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 08:39 PM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Apparently not indeed! The general Squier class transpot of which 15 were built https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_G._O._Squier-class_transport AND a MODEL: SB222 GENERAL GEORGE SQUIER (APA-130) $19.00 http://www.alnavco.com/2400SBWW2.asp

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 02:41 PM   #19
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

We have C4 in SH3! It is the Community Units pack!

[UnitClass]
ClassName=C4Cargo
UnitType=102
AppearanceDate=19400101
DisappearanceDate=19470101
DisplayName=Large Cargo

[Unit 1]
Name=Large Cargo
DOC=19400101
DOD=19470101

Last edited by geosub1978; 01-02-17 at 02:49 PM.
geosub1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 03:08 PM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
We have C4 in SH3!
No, we don't. Call it anything you like, but that ship is not remotely like a C-4.

Old 01-02-17, 06:07 PM   #21
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Interesting side note: I finally found a photo online of the C4 "Omar Bundy" I was referring to back in 2007. The vessel was heavily reconstructed after WWII and looked nothing like the original C4 Cargo. As "Poet" she sailed from Delaware in October 1980 & went missing in a storm (33 men lost). Aside from "El Faro" sinking I think this is the only recent United States ship disaster with no survivors.

Old 01-03-17, 04:37 PM   #22
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Iambecomelife,

has the ship in post#16 ever been released (or a similar one)? I could not find anything like that in your MFM and I like it.

Best, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 05:04 PM   #23
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi Iambecomelife,

has the ship in post#16 ever been released (or a similar one)? I could not find anything like that in your MFM and I like it.

Best, LGN1
It is a little similar to M15A in the Merchant Fleet Mod, although M15A is smaller. Basically, a modern cargo ship with a composite deckhouse and lots of cargo handling gear.

I'm not releasing the ship in post 16 because it has several errors. Most notably, the cranes are in the wrong position....when at sea, a merchant ship almost always had the cranes secured in either fully upright or fully down position. Leaving the crane booms at an angle would cause damage to the ship and cargo. This is a common error in cargo ship modeling (you see the same problem even on SH5 ships).
Old 01-03-17, 07:06 PM   #24
radiator
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
I could not find anything like that in your MFM and I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I'm not releasing the ship in post 16 because it has several errors.
This ship was seen in the NYGM-mod, like many others, are not included in the final version of MFM
radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 08:04 PM   #25
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator View Post
This ship was seen in the NYGM-mod, like many others, are not included in the final version of MFM
Yes; I understand that they included several of my ships that I did not like, but in the end it's the super-modmaker's decision. I recommend that all mod makers who want to use my ships use the latest Merchant Fleet Mod - my ships from 2007 and earlier usually don't look as good.
Old 01-03-17, 10:33 PM   #26
radiator
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Yes; I understand that they included several of my ships that I did not like, but in the end it's the super-modmaker's decision. I recommend that all mod makers who want to use my ships use the latest Merchant Fleet Mod - my ships from 2007 and earlier usually don't look as good.
I will not speak for everyone, but personally, I like some of the ships, which are not included in the final version of MFM. For example, I use this ship both the old whale factory ship in my game. That's like the ship, which is called "Pelagos", the German supply ship in Norway:

radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 01:48 PM   #27
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
It is a little similar to M15A in the Merchant Fleet Mod, although M15A is smaller. Basically, a modern cargo ship with a composite deckhouse and lots of cargo handling gear.

I'm not releasing the ship in post 16 because it has several errors. Most notably, the cranes are in the wrong position....when at sea, a merchant ship almost always had the cranes secured in either fully upright or fully down position. Leaving the crane booms at an angle would cause damage to the ship and cargo. This is a common error in cargo ship modeling (you see the same problem even on SH5 ships).
Hi IABL, I am a perfectionist too, but I wonder what induced you discarding those otherwise beautiful models rather than correcting the features that you didn't like and/or thought wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator View Post
I will not speak for everyone, but personally, I like some of the ships, which are not included in the final version of MFM. For example, I use this ship both the old whale factory ship in my game. That's like the ship, which is called "Pelagos", the German supply ship in Norway
Seconded
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 11:39 AM   #28
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

An old iambecomelife's ship called P01B Troop transport was also very nice.
Old 01-05-17, 05:15 PM   #29
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
An old iambecomelife's ship called P01B Troop transport was also very nice.
I remember that ship; now I hate how it looks! Very ugly. I'm not a great modder, but IMO my modeling has gotten a little better since then....for that reason, I don't like looking at my old ships.

In my opinion even the release-version of the Merchant Fleet Mod ships look outdated, especially compared to the SH5 stock merchants (I think the devs for SH5 did a very good job on the few cargo ships they did include....the proportions for the SH5 Hog Islander and Liberty Ship were very well done.)

The entire MFM needs to be replaced (among other things for the Atlantic Theatre in SH3/4/5). That will be a project for after I finish my WWI mod. Back to the WWII era!
Old 01-05-17, 11:09 PM   #30
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
In my opinion even the release-version of the Merchant Fleet Mod ships look outdated, especially compared to the SH5 stock merchants (I think the devs for SH5 did a very good job on the few cargo ships they did include....the proportions for the SH5 Hog Islander and Liberty Ship were very well done.)

The entire MFM needs to be replaced (among other things for the Atlantic Theatre in SH3/4/5). That will be a project for after I finish my WWI mod. Back to the WWII era!
I didn't look in their proportions, but one of the few things I miss in your ships, is the lack of ambient occlusion maps; a good AO map adds so much to a model.

And one of the rhings I like about SH5 ships is the irregular cracking lines of their hulls, and the modelling of compartments along them
gap is offline   Reply With Quote