SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-15, 04:25 PM   #31
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

U-9 & U-39 tonnage includes trawlers not cargo ships whereas U-20's six are full size cargo vessels of higher tonnage. U-9 had also previously sunk four cruisers for 43,350 tons- HMS's Aboukir, Cressy, Hogue all 12,000 tons; and HMS Hogue for 7,350 tons.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 04:50 PM   #32
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
U-9 & U-39 tonnage includes trawlers not cargo ships whereas U-20's six are full size cargo vessels of higher tonnage. U-9 had also previously sunk four cruisers for 43,350 tons- HMS's Aboukir, Cressy, Hogue all 12,000 tons; and HMS Hogue for 7,350 tons.
Did the commande of these subs get a patrol area as they did in WWII ?
(forgot what they are called)

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 05:26 PM   #33
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Yes. No warship goes anywhere without orders to do so. Generally, if I understand your question, The German navy completely, outclassed on the surface at sea world wide, confined its operations to a 'war zone' and assigned U-boats either singly or in flotillas to operate in those declared war zones.; primarily along known trade/shipping routes. The proclaimed war zone as of 2/4/1915:and expanded as declared 2/1/17:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 05-05-15, 06:16 PM   #34
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ Thank you Aktungbby, for your answer. Now I know what they called it. "Grid" or the The Grid system

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 07:25 PM   #35
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
^ Thank you Aktungbby, for your answer. Now I know what they called it. "Grid" or the The Grid system

Markus
Whoops! Some confusion. The German Naval Grid Reference was a system for referencing the a location on a map. Introduced initially by the German Luftwaffe just before World War II, it was used widely in the German armed forces until 1943. Each armed force had its own version of this reference. In the Kriegsmarine version, the entire globe was divided into large square sectors, each with its unique two-letter designation (e.g. AE, AF, BA, BB, etc.). Each such sector was further sub-divided into a 3 x 3 matrix, so that there were nine squares. Each of the nine squares were again divided into nine smaller squares. This map grid system was not in use in WWI. The lines in the warzone maps in the post above are simply Latitude and longitude navigation lines of standard marine cartography(map reading).

Old 11-15-18, 03:00 AM   #36
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default welcome aboard!

Lanagrandez015!