SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-09, 10:32 PM   #16
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
I have learned a lot

thanks, captains.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 10:42 PM   #17
FADM Gryphon
Lieutenant

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 1

Actually in the Navy DC stands for Damage Control. The crew on DC is referred to as the Damage Control Party. Many a sailor has spent weekends on duty doing Damage Control drills.

Home of the Unorthodox Naval Shipyard
FADM Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 07:00 AM   #18
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 31

Is it best to form a Damage Control party from existing crew members, or do you recruit guys from base to the damage control slots and promote them as the war progresses?? Or does having guys in the Damage Control slots put them on permanent duty???
ddiplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 11:04 AM   #19
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default adding crew

good question ddiplock. Only a few of the damage control slots are filled until you move crew to those slots. When you return from missions and are offerred new crew, can you increase your crew size by adding them to those slots and then moving the added members to other compartments?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 12:26 PM   #20
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
good question ddiplock. Only a few of the damage control slots are filled until you move crew to those slots. When you return from missions and are offerred new crew, can you increase your crew size by adding them to those slots and then moving the added members to other compartments?
Well I'm not sure. When I need the Damage Control team fully manned, I take a watch and a half from the Engine room as they all have the repair skill as standard. But i've never recruitred crewmembers to those slots when in base, as I don't know if that puts the poor sods on duty 24/7....can't be fun if the sub is away for 8 weeks or so to be working every day and night with no sleep i'd imagine
ddiplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 12:39 PM   #21
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I may be doing it wrong but I go into the crew file in the upc folder in my main mod and make the crew better in term of gunnery,mechanical and electric.Then I take the gunners and damage control guys from the left side of the screen and fill the slots..Havent had any problems doing it this way and damage is always fixed quickly....

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 01:19 PM   #22
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiplock View Post
Is it best to form a Damage Control party from existing crew members, or do you recruit guys from base to the damage control slots and promote them as the war progresses?? Or does having guys in the Damage Control slots put them on permanent duty???
I fill all the slots but one in sub and DC......they all gain experience as they go...don't fill the gun slot's, can't move em and they will die from a charge as the game still renders them outside even when dived.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 03:56 PM   #23
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiplock View Post
Well I'm not sure. When I need the Damage Control team fully manned, I take a watch and a half from the Engine room as they all have the repair skill as standard. But i've never recruitred crewmembers to those slots when in base, as I don't know if that puts the poor sods on duty 24/7....can't be fun if the sub is away for 8 weeks or so to be working every day and night with no sleep i'd imagine
They aren't on station until you enact the DC crew area so no worries about them awake for 60 days. I believe RFB's stance is that the DC area is all the cooks and other crew otherwise not modeled in the normal stations that can lend a helping hand during an emergency. The repairs are primarily carried out by the compartment crew.

If you look up how many men were aboard a Gato sub it's quite a few more than the standard number of crew slots shown in the game.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote