SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-16, 05:18 PM   #331
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Well it just goes to show you, I guess I have no life. I've been sitting here playing (I mean testing ) v.03 Alpha and enjoying myself. The rest of you are probably sitting back and relaxing on your Sunday afternoon because you're the smart ones.

This last patrol I've been working with it seems like every time that I here our "sound" it's right after a radar contact either SJ or SD. Or am I just whistling in the dark.

This career around I have command of the USS Harder. Wouldn't you know it the only thing I saw on this patrol were destroyers. I managed to get four of 'em. A couple of screenies that were pretty nice.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-16, 05:40 PM   #332
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Sooooo... you've been on the surface, and using radar, or submerged and at radar depth? Do you remember cdsubron7, if you'd used Time Compression prior to that? Any "Crash Dive!" use? You're in a Gato boat, correct? Did you go below the thermal layer, or maybe even past test depth?...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-16, 06:48 PM   #333
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Sooooo... you've been on the surface, and using radar, or submerged and at radar depth? Do you remember cdsubron7, if you'd used Time Compression prior to that? Any "Crash Dive!" use? You're in a Gato boat, correct? Did you go below the thermal layer, or maybe even past test depth?...

Yes to all those things.

Old 06-26-16, 09:04 PM   #334
propbeanie

I just used about the fourth or fifth SM in a row, and I'm able to get "The Sound" every time after I crash dive. The vocal sequence is ALL wrong if you're at periscope depth, someone comes along to try and run over your periscope, so you "Crash Dive!" to get out of the way fast... just happened. If you're already using the electrics, why would you have to secure the diesels? And I fer sure fer serttin dunn wanna be doin' no 2/3 speed in that situation. When I say "Ahead FLANK!!!, I need flank speed, and NOW... I'm in the process of trying to capture some of the replay and get it posted to ToobYu. Shouldn't take more than a couple of months for me to accomplish... back in a bit.
Old 06-27-16, 07:02 AM   #335
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Something I've not heard before and I don't know if there is any relevance to our annoying sound, but I'll mention it anyway. I was patrolling in a Gato off Truk in Jan, '43. The sound file that goes through the sequence when you dive the boat, the last part of it being "All ahead, 2/3rds". Then the "Sound" came twice right after that. Then the "Sound" started up right after that. The only time I didn't hear it was when using TC.

The funny thing about this was that I was on the surface when this diving sequence sounded. Like I said I don't know if this means anything, just thought I'd mention it.
I've encountered the sound issue too, but I don't recall which boat I was driving at the time. It started after coming out of high TC (8192x). I was able to stop it by going to PD at normal time, and changing the external view a few times. Its only happened a couple of times so the details are hazy (it's not easy getting older, as some of you understand), but if it happens again I'll be more observant if you haven't solved it by then.

I would like to add that I am most appreciative of the teams' efforts to improve the game that I love. Giving it new life is a wonderful thing you do, and I eagerly await the fruits of your labors.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 10:38 AM   #336
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Well it just goes to show you, I guess I have no life. I've been sitting here playing (I mean testing ) v.03 Alpha and enjoying myself. The rest of you are probably sitting back and relaxing on your Sunday afternoon because you're the smart ones.

This last patrol I've been working with it seems like every time that I here our "sound" it's right after a radar contact either SJ or SD. Or am I just whistling in the dark.

This career around I have command of the USS Harder. Wouldn't you know it the only thing I saw on this patrol were destroyers. I managed to get four of 'em. A couple of screenies that were pretty nice.
Great screenies! This is one beautiful mod (this from a guy whose most characteristic phrase has been "Gameplay over eye candy every time!" Well, I'd argue that the eye candy of FOTRS Ultimate is balanced very well with unhampered gameplay. The game feels as fluid as stock.

That's the problem with search and destroy missions for game glitches. The human brain is programmed for detecting patterns and correlations. When it doesn't find them, it makes them up. Even after your brain learns the truth, show it the pattern again and it will lie to you all over again, within seconds. Check out my video. You see with your brain, not your eyes. Your brain is an incorrigible liar!

Why! Why can't we embed videos in the post like every other forum on the Internet?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 10:43 AM   #337
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

failed experiment
Old 06-27-16, 11:20 AM   #338
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
... Check out my video. You see with your brain, not your eyes. Your brain is an incorrigible liar!

Old 06-27-16, 02:29 PM   #339
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
That's the problem with search and destroy missions for game glitches. The human brain is programmed for detecting patterns and correlations. When it doesn't find them, it makes them up. Even after your brain learns the truth, show it the pattern again and it will lie to you all over again, within seconds. Check out my video. You see with your brain, not your eyes. Your brain is an incorrigible liar!

I think you've been hitting the torpedo juice to much, RR.

Old 06-27-16, 03:05 PM   #340
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I've encountered the sound issue too, but I don't recall which boat I was driving at the time. It started after coming out of high TC (8192x). I was able to stop it by going to PD at normal time, and changing the external view a few times. Its only happened a couple of times so the details are hazy (it's not easy getting older, as some of you understand), but if it happens again I'll be more observant if you haven't solved it by then...
It matters little if us older fellers pay attention or not... nothing in life is free, but you can't pay enough to get the memory back... I wish I could remember where I left it. I've been trying to pay attention to this issue as I'm "testing". As I come out of a "mission", I think to myself "self, you oughta write this down... naw, I'll remember..." Three hours later (spongebob plug again - OK, which one of you flatfeet ate my lollipop? Seriously) (sorry, ole-man-itis struck again)... where was I?... Oh yeah - but three hours later, I can't remember what I was doing fifteen minutes previously, much less three hours ago. Overnight, after a meal, sneeze, any of that, and it's ~gone~...

Quote:
... The human brain is programmed for detecting patterns and correlations. When it doesn't find them, it makes them up. Even after your brain learns the truth, show it the pattern again and it will lie to you all over again, within seconds. Check out my video. You see with your brain, not your eyes. Your brain is an incorrigible liar!
I believe they refer to that as "static evidence". Something that stands still, and *still* messes with me...

Quote:
failed experiment
Is that like quote number one and reply from above here?... Yer not that old, are you?... I'll bet you tried to embed a video...

Quote:
I think you've been hitting the torpedo juice to much, RR.
... running the diesels while submerged, too... |;^)

I'm still working on my video. We might have to have RR give a video tutorial on video making in Silent Hunter 4...
Old 06-27-16, 03:57 PM   #341
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
... running the diesels while submerged, too... |;^)

Old 06-27-16, 05:02 PM   #342
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

Cool video RR!
Old 06-27-16, 05:49 PM   #343
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I spent a night at the Winter Star Party in the Florida Keys demonstrating the "lying brain" syndrome with a 20" reflector telescope and the Omega Centauri globular cluster. The trick is that you use just enough magnification that the cluster fills the field of view with a black donut of space around the outside.

Now in the telescope it looks twice as good as the photo with the stars tinier than you can imagine and separated stars all the way to the core of the cluster. And the way it fills the field of view here is about right, but in a telescope the field is round, not rectangular, so the border of blackness is uniform all around.

So we set up with the big scope at about 1:30 in the morning and started blathering about Omega Centauri Psychosis. Found the first innocent victim and asked "Have you ever looked at Omega Centauri?" He said "Sure, hundreds of times."

"Did you know that if you look at it right you won't be able to see a single star?"

Don't give me that, I've seen the same thing every time I've looked: millions of stars." That is literally true, by the way.

"Let me tell you what will happen when you look (just like the paper dinosaur movie, fair warning with an exact description of the "lie."). First you'll see your millions of stars. Then as you stare at the image, after 30 seconds your brain says, there's a triangle, there's a rectangle, there's a pyramid, there's a parallellogram....... And at about 30 seconds the millions of stars crystallize into a solid three-dimensional shape. After that happens you won't be able to see a single star, no matter how you try."

Remember your brain will lie to you even if you know the truth. And the depressing part of the whole shebang is that you believe the lie when you KNOW the truth. So the guy, who now thinks we're a couple screws short of an erector set reluctantly steps up to the eyepiece. (Come into our parlour, said the spider to the fly!")

"What do you see?"

"What do you THINK I see, a million stars, just like every other time I've done this." He's getting just a little loud and PO'd, which attracts more future victims.

"Keep looking. Stare at the image for 30 seconds." We wait. He steams.

"AAAAUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Holy !@#$%$#!!!" at the top of his lungs. This is gonna be a good night!

This went on for four hours until sunrise. Not one person didn't see the star cluster crystallize in a second after staring at the cluster for 30 seconds. Not one person could will themselves to see a single star once the brain foisted "the lie." If they stepped away from the eyepiece for five seconds and went back, there were millions of stars......for 30 seconds. And in spite of the fact that these were the country's top amateur astronomers, experienced, educated, trained observers, every one of their brains lied to them and they believed it.

Your brain sometimes is not your friend. It lies!
Old 06-27-16, 06:19 PM   #344
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I've encountered the sound issue too, but I don't recall which boat I was driving at the time. It started after coming out of high TC (8192x). I was able to stop it by going to PD at normal time, and changing the external view a few times. Its only happened a couple of times so the details are hazy (it's not easy getting older, as some of you understand), but if it happens again I'll be more observant if you haven't solved it by then.

I would like to add that I am most appreciative of the teams' efforts to improve the game that I love. Giving it new life is a wonderful thing you do, and I eagerly await the fruits of your labors.
Thank you Torpedobait! I hope the finished product meets your wishes and expectations. We're sure working hard to make it that way.
Old 06-27-16, 07:34 PM   #345
Dice Holder
A-ganger

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 0

Ok so I just installed 1.3 from the downloads and when i load up a game I have no ground terrain at all where as in stock I do
Dice Holder is offline   Reply With Quote