SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-10, 03:57 PM   #286
Kromus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Same problem with fog as everyone else here. Medium fog day and I can barely see 50-60m from my coning tower. Using stock fog file for now.
Kromus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 04:26 PM   #287
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Might as well keep the boat in her pen on medium fog days with this mod. It is very much like heavy fog. But oddly at night one can see the clouds and stars, but not the ship 300 meters ahead. LOL.

Where are the parameters for fog distance kept again.

Addendum: BIG FAIL.

So A night patrol, medium fog. I can see the bow of the boat, and stars in the sky, along with partial clouds. I am tracking a sound contact, with sound checks every 5 minutes (these have been fun due to glaring white artifacts that intermittently pop up when the ship is rigged for red, and the view is the captain's cam.)
I find I am closing in on the target strictly by hydrophone every 5 minutes. I also find I am running right up the contacts wake seeing how it is steadily in the forward 5 degrees off the bow.

My last check gave me a short range report, which is something less than 1000 meters. But as we tear along at 15 knots, there is nothing ahead of us.

Then just as I get down the hatch for yet another sound check, the screen is shaken and the sound of a collision happens (I thought there was a little bit more noise in the tower as I went down

I call all stop, get up to the bridge, and for a spit second I see what we hit....the back end of a ship, type unknown, cause just as I saw it, it vanished, along with its wake.

This is MEDIUM fog? LOL.

I bailed from the game after that and unloaded The mod.

This is my list AFTER removal.

Funelsmoke_Planes_Sounds_by_AOTDMadMax
Sub_Exhaust_1_0_0_byTheDarkWraith
Floor Green
AilWhiteInterior 1.0
BRF 1.3 full
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.1
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt w beards
Interior working dials v1.0.3
Lite Campaign LC 1.2
Damage assessment
Critical hits 1.1 Torpedos
NewUIs_TDC_2_4_1_Twisty_periscope_thingies
NewUIs_TDC_2_4_1_AllDials_TDC
U-boat Historical Specifications 1.3
NewUIs_TDC_2_4_1_ByTheDarkWraith

The environmental mod was the last of this list before removal, and U-boat Historical Specifications was grayed out by the installation of the mod. On a side note. The visibility range for the freighters seems a tad not right on a clear day with rough seas. 12 KM? Really? Seeing a U boat at 12KM? That just does not seem right. Reading Donitz's book seems to suggest the tower of a Uboat was invisible in rough seas at more than 9KM, and on foggy days a U-boat could get within 5KM without being spotted, but all the while having the target in sight.

Love how the mod looks, it is absolutely gorgeous, but some game play aspects just are not right. I could see running into the back end of a large ship in heavy fog on a windless night, but on a windy night, and medium fog, I just don't see.

Last edited by pythos; 05-24-10 at 05:36 PM.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 05:52 PM   #288
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

data/env/FogDistances.cfg is the file you are looking for pythos. My easy(and lazy) short term solution is just to delete it from the mod, until W_clear makes a fix.

On a side note, you have a couple of mods which have newer versions.

Edit: Yes oscar19681 this is compatible with North Atlantic Green 1.1. That mod (NAG1.1) only adds a color correction filter to the underwater environment, meanwhile Env2.1 does not include any.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 05:56 PM   #289
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Fog Bug

I just encountered this Fog Bug mentioned below by Pythos.

Light Fog I can see about 100-200 meters past my Bow.
Medium Fog I can see about 20 meters past my bow.
Heavy Fog I can not see my bow.

Hope a fix is coming soon. Renaming the fog file until a fix is released.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 07:15 PM   #290
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Yeah with user reports and some time I think it'll get smoothed out and shape into an excellent mod. I really like it and continue using it, just making some changes here and there.

Before I replaced the fog cfg with another, I had a warship nearby according to my sonar but was desperately trying for the merchant ship I was stalking. After I couldn't stay on him because of the fog I decided to submerge to check on the warship and while my conning tower was still above surface it was a Destroyer that appeared out of nowhere and he ran me right the hell over. I guess he never knew I was there and stayed on the same course and speed. At first, I thought it was the merchant that must have ran me over but after going to external cam I saw that it was the nearby warship.

I resurfaced and got the heck out of there to repair lots of damage that I had received which took several hours to do so.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 07:53 PM   #291
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos View Post
The interior bug went away by itself, I have no idea what it was.

That being said. This is such a beautiful mod. The water truly looks like the water I remember seeing from my dad's boat. The sea foam is really nice too.

I have not experienced the super thick fog issue.

One picking point. The waves at 15 meters per second, seem very lack luster, any chance of this getting addressed, or is there a limitation in the game that make this non viable?
Let me try do it.Thanks
W_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 07:58 PM   #292
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffman View Post
To install this mod i have to overwrite scene.dat and I'm afraid i will lose an important part of the W_clear work by overwriting this file.
I guess AilRain must be included in the Enviromental mod like AilClouds.
Yes.I will adjust the rain.Can't ues other scene.dat。It will destroy the environment MOD
Old 05-24-10, 08:07 PM   #293
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Might as well keep the boat in her pen on medium fog days with this mod. It is very much like heavy fog. But oddly at night one can see the clouds and stars, but not the ship 300 meters ahead. LOL.

Where are the parameters for fog distance kept again.

Addendum: BIG FAIL.

So A night patrol, medium fog. I can see the bow of the boat, and stars in the sky, along with partial clouds. I am tracking a sound contact, with sound checks every 5 minutes (these have been fun due to glaring white artifacts that intermittently pop up when the ship is rigged for red, and the view is the captain's cam.)
I find I am closing in on the target strictly by hydrophone every 5 minutes. I also find I am running right up the contacts wake seeing how it is steadily in the forward 5 degrees off the bow.

My last check gave me a short range report, which is something less than 1000 meters. But as we tear along at 15 knots, there is nothing ahead of us.

Then just as I get down the hatch for yet another sound check, the screen is shaken and the sound of a collision happens (I thought there was a little bit more noise in the tower as I went down

I call all stop, get up to the bridge, and for a spit second I see what we hit....the back end of a ship, type unknown, cause just as I saw it, it vanished, along with its wake.

This is MEDIUM fog? LOL.

I bailed from the game after that and unloaded The mod.

This is my list AFTER removal.

Funelsmoke_Planes_Sounds_by_AOTDMadMax
Floor Green
AilWhiteInterior 1.0
BRF 1.3 full
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.1
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt w beards
Interior working dials v1.0.3
Lite Campaign LC 1.2
Damage assessment
Critical hits 1.1 Torpedos
NewUIs_TDC_2_4_1_Twisty_periscope_thingies
NewUIs_TDC_2_4_1_AllDials_TDC
NewUIs_TDC_2_4_1_ByTheDarkWraith

The environmental mod was the last of this list before removal, and U-boat Historical Specifications was grayed out by the installation of the mod. On a side note. The visibility range for the freighters seems a tad not right on a clear day with rough seas. 12 KM? Really? Seeing a U boat at 12KM? That just does not seem right. Reading Donitz's book seems to suggest the tower of a Uboat was invisible in rough seas at more than 9KM, and on foggy days a U-boat could get within 5KM without being spotted, but all the while having the target in sight.

Love how the mod looks, it is absolutely gorgeous, but some game play aspects just are not right. I could see running into the back end of a large ship in heavy fog on a windless night, but on a windy night, and medium fog, I just don't see.
But oddly at night one can see the clouds and stars, but not the ship 300 meters ahead. LOL.------------------------------------------------------>This is not my mistake, this is the biggest SH5 BUG. I hate this error, the developer did not find this even a serious mistake.
Are you not aware of this BUG?

Old 05-24-10, 08:12 PM   #294
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
I just encountered this Fog Bug mentioned below by Pythos.

Light Fog I can see about 100-200 meters past my Bow.
Medium Fog I can see about 20 meters past my bow.
Heavy Fog I can not see my bow.

You can use data/env/FogDistances.cfg from the Environment 1.2 MOD。
Old 05-24-10, 09:16 PM   #295
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

W clear.

Let me be sure you know.

Your mod is much appreciated. I do not intend to come off as complaining. I thought my way of finding how bad the visibility was was comical. Not once did I get angry, in fact I was kinda cracking up at how things went there.

I did know of the bug, it is pretty stupid it is still there, but what can be done right now?

This running into a ship would be fine, had the fog been noted as heavy. But medium fog, which seems the most common fog in the game, the way it is is game killing, if comical.

Which conflict do you think it is that is causing this horrible artifacts that show up with the ship rigged for red, while in commander's eye view?

But thank you for putting the work into this mod.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 11:19 PM   #296
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
W clear.

Let me be sure you know.

Your mod is much appreciated. I do not intend to come off as complaining. I thought my way of finding how bad the visibility was was comical. Not once did I get angry, in fact I was kinda cracking up at how things went there.

I did know of the bug, it is pretty stupid it is still there, but what can be done right now?

This running into a ship would be fine, had the fog been noted as heavy. But medium fog, which seems the most common fog in the game, the way it is is game killing, if comical.

Which conflict do you think it is that is causing this horrible artifacts that show up with the ship rigged for red, while in commander's eye view?

But thank you for putting the work into this mod.
Hi
You can use data/env/FogDistances.cfg from the Environment 1.2 MOD or SH5/ data/env/FogDistances.cfg from the Original edition。This will solve your problem。Is't OK?

Old 05-25-10, 12:44 AM   #297
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Yeah W_clear the fogdistances.cfg from version 1.2 seems to be working fine. Only one hour of play though, so I could be wrong.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 01:20 AM   #298
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
Yeah W_clear the fogdistances.cfg from version 1.2 seems to be working fine. Only one hour of play though, so I could be wrong.
In fact, this is still original in the BUG。I just want to try again, the result does not work. So I really hope to restore the dynamic fog.
Old 05-25-10, 07:27 AM   #299
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200

Hi to all and most especial thanks to Mr W clear your mod is supurb

HOWEVER

I dont seem to have the fog issue that others are reporting - in fact my fog is probably the best and most realistic of any game I've seen in a while, or may be I havnt come across the really thick fog

Anyway - My problem is a sudden crash to desk top - no warning the game literally just dissappears - it doesnt seem to be influenced by prximity to land - for instance at the moment I'm cruising off the North West Coast of Scotland above Ireland coming down to the approach to the UK home port - I get a bit over half way between Scotland and Northern Ireland and suddenly - no game -

This has only been happening since I installed the Enviro mod - I hope some one can help as I am very reluctant to remove this mod

Any ideas - here are my activated mods

AilSmoke 1.7
AilBubbles 1.0
EngineSoundsImproved_v1.0
Dooms Decks for VIIC 1.2
Detailed Caustics 1.0
Damage assessment
Enhanced FunelSmoke_by HanSolo78
Goodbye Pac-Man v1.01
ImprovedWaves_Improved Pitch&Roll
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt faces
Nauticalwolf's Damage and Torpedo UI (b) Mod V1.1
No Umark
North Atlantic Green 1.0
Old Style Explosions V1.1
Player Guidance Icons Removed v1.0
Reboot's Hot Soup 1.0
Reboot's Water Drips 1.0
sobers hatch mod
sobers multi color mod
sobers no shoe sound mod
Torpedo_Speed_Abilitie_Fix_for_TDC_SH5_v120
BRF 1.1 HP balance
BRF 1.3 full
Feared Hunters 2.1
Environment MOD_2.0
NDB,NDH OM#1 - No Dialog Indicator
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod
Reaper7 HiRes UI Beta V1.0 & Recognition Manual V2.0
sobers base wave mechanics for SH5 v2
The Elite Campaign 1.1
Environmental 2.1 MOD fix
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 07:56 AM   #300
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal101 View Post
Hi to all and most especial thanks to Mr W clear your mod is supurb

HOWEVER

I dont seem to have the fog issue that others are reporting - in fact my fog is probably the best and most realistic of any game I've seen in a while, or may be I havnt come across the really thick fog

Anyway - My problem is a sudden crash to desk top - no warning the game literally just dissappears - it doesnt seem to be influenced by prximity to land - for instance at the moment I'm cruising off the North West Coast of Scotland above Ireland coming down to the approach to the UK home port - I get a bit over half way between Scotland and Northern Ireland and suddenly - no game -

This has only been happening since I installed the Enviro mod - I hope some one can help as I am very reluctant to remove this mod

Any ideas - here are my activated mods

AilSmoke 1.7
AilBubbles 1.0
EngineSoundsImproved_v1.0
Dooms Decks for VIIC 1.2
Detailed Caustics 1.0
Damage assessment
Enhanced FunelSmoke_by HanSolo78
Goodbye Pac-Man v1.01
ImprovedWaves_Improved Pitch&Roll
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Alt faces
Nauticalwolf's Damage and Torpedo UI (b) Mod V1.1
No Umark
North Atlantic Green 1.0
Old Style Explosions V1.1
Player Guidance Icons Removed v1.0
Reboot's Hot Soup 1.0
Reboot's Water Drips 1.0
sobers hatch mod
sobers multi color mod
sobers no shoe sound mod
Torpedo_Speed_Abilitie_Fix_for_TDC_SH5_v120
BRF 1.1 HP balance
BRF 1.3 full
Feared Hunters 2.1
Environment MOD_2.0
NDB,NDH OM#1 - No Dialog Indicator
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod
Reaper7 HiRes UI Beta V1.0 & Recognition Manual V2.0
sobers base wave mechanics for SH5 v2
The Elite Campaign 1.1
Environmental 2.1 MOD fix
you use MOD too much, so easily collapse. Between the MOD and the MOD will be a collision。The correct way is: you like MODs into a large MOD ,Try do it.