SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-14, 04:48 AM   #1
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default A question for computer experts - Windows 8.1

My installation of SH3 with GWX and SH3 Commander seems to be working well but I find it very annoying that whenever I try to start SH3 Commander, the screen goes blank and a panel appears asking me to confirm that I want to run an unrecognised application that may alter files on my computer.

Is there any way to get SH3 Commander recognised as an authorised programme so that this doesn't occur?
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 10:26 AM   #2
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Downloads: 35

Rightclick the SH3Commander.exe and select Properties.

If 'Read only' is checked - uncheck it and/or read the security information and use the button for enabling the access.

The prompt will show up again, but will remember your orders for the next time.

If it still doesn't work you may want to disable the SmartScreenFilter itself.

If you know what you do: Control Panel - Action Center - Change Windows SmartScreen Settings

10 happy wolves rear 90 blinded, ensnared sheep. 90 happy sheep banish the wolves.

Arrest the 1% - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6hg1oNeGE

Last edited by Mittelwaechter; 05-10-14 at 10:48 AM.
Mittelwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 11:28 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJO View Post
My installation of SH3 with GWX and SH3 Commander seems to be working well but I find it very annoying that whenever I try to start SH3 Commander, the screen goes blank and a panel appears asking me to confirm that I want to run an unrecognised application that may alter files on my computer.

Is there any way to get SH3 Commander recognised as an authorised programme so that this doesn't occur?
Do not install the game, or SH3 Commander itself, in a path that is stored in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder. Change the default location to something like c:\games\SilentHunter and C:\Games\SH3 Commander. Windows protects the files in Program Files from running programs that try to tamper with them. In this case it is the game itself (ie saving screenshots) or SH3 Commander (tweaking the gamesettings) If the game is a Steam download then you may not be able to choose another location. (the game store location would have to be changed before you downloaded any game)
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote