SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-11, 01:17 PM   #511
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0

@Fitzcarraldo:

I was under the impression that some Neutrals are not necessarily 'neutral' in that they are aiding the allies but it is up to you to make a decision whether to attack or not based on their visible deck cargo (trucks, tanks, airplanes), their behaviour (whether they start to zig zag when you close distance to visually check them or not), and their position (are they headed to allied ports loaded with war materials).

I only use the Interim mod but am tempted to see if I can run the full version simply because I like the idea of having to check individual vessels regardless of what flag they fly and make a decision on whether they take a swim or not. From the original post:

This sets off alarm bells, especially if this convoy is headed to England, notice the deck cargo, that'd get an eel from me for sure.

Now if only someone would answer my original question about TMT / Thomsens Ships and Ricks Rec manual.....

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.

Last edited by Damo; 01-29-11 at 01:34 PM.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 01:44 PM   #512
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
@Fitzcarraldo:

I was under the impression that some Neutrals are not necessarily 'neutral' in that they are aiding the allies but it is up to you to make a decision whether to attack or not based on their visible deck cargo (trucks, tanks, airplanes), their behaviour (whether they start to zig zag when you close distance to visually check them or not), and their position (are they headed to allied ports loaded with war materials).
I think this is correct as I noticed that the MFM adds some of the "neutral" classes of ship (class names ending in 'X') to the Roster folders of Allied nations... which, if I am understanding this correctly, means that the game will sometimes spawn those ships (with their accompanying "neutral" skins) in places and along routes where it would normally spawn shipping that is clearly flagged/marked as British or American.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 03:45 PM   #513
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I think this is correct as I noticed that the MFM adds some of the "neutral" classes of ship (class names ending in 'X') to the Roster folders of Allied nations... which, if I am understanding this correctly, means that the game will sometimes spawn those ships (with their accompanying "neutral" skins) in places and along routes where it would normally spawn shipping that is clearly flagged/marked as British or American.
OK, I understand that. If I want to have a merchant of a neutral country, but working for the Allies, the merchant must appears in the roster of the Allies, and in Museum appears in Americans or British.

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 07:58 PM   #514
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
So, looks like it wasn't just my eyes bleeding - it was my brain as well!

Thanks for being polite guys and not calling me an idiot. All I can plead is that I was going into melt down then, having been at it for too many hours, trying to tackle Mt Everest on my first attempt at mountain climbing. What had me chasing my tail was that I had sunk an S-Class and not got a name on the Captain's log in SH3 Commander after updating personnel file - just S-Class (which was a pity, because he was the toughest son-of-a-gun in the Seven Seas.).

Mind you, I can't identify any Subs by class name designator - yet - in the EnglishNames.cfg in the SHIII/Data/Sea folder (or in any of the class sub-folders - and, no, that wasn't meant to be punny). I know they must be there somewhere, I just can't figure where. I know there are listings in the Roster folders under the appropriate country, but I thought we had established the other day that there needed to be a class listing in the Data/Sea/ EnglishNames.cfg file in order for the scope & ESB etc to i.d. it.

I know, I'm going mad. Will someone just shoot me, please?
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 08:11 PM   #515
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
So I looked all through the list and didn't spot them.

Well, I guess I should be happy they're there, whether I'm aware of it or not.
Shame on you

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 08:31 PM   #516
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
Thanks for being polite guys and not calling me an idiot.
In case you haven't noticed, I'm a little too busy calling myself an idiot to worry about your petty problems.
Old 01-31-11, 01:48 PM   #517
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, I'm a little too busy calling myself an idiot to worry about your petty problems.

Been there, done that Steve, sooo many times it hurts. When your my age the embarrasment fades after a while

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

PS thank god for an o/l dictionary
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 05:51 PM   #518
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58

So,Fubar, you are saying that there ARE advantages to Alzheimer's? There's comfort for me yet. I may still have to change my 'handle' to SNAFU, though someone probably has it already!
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 06:16 PM   #519
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
Been there, done that Steve, sooo many times it hurts. When your my age the embarrasment fades after a while
One of the advantages of getting old is that you now have an excuse for all the things you could never do anyway. Makes it a lot easier.

Quote:
PS thank god for an o/l dictionary
Unfortunately a dictionary doesn't help your usage skills, especially when you're my age.
Old 01-31-11, 07:19 PM   #520
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
One of the advantages of getting old is that you now have an excuse for all the things you could never do anyway. Makes it a lot easier.

Unfortunately a dictionary doesn't help your usage skills, especially when you're my age.
Very true

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 08:26 AM   #521
Vermin
Helmsman

Downloads: 39

Has anyone managed to get the MFM to work with GWX on a 32bit OS yet?

I can just manage the "lite" version on a clean GWX install with no other GWX "sub mods" running. I can never get the full version to load - always crashes - and apperas to be a memory issue. I have 4G RAM (the absolute practical limit AFAIK) for Win XP /32bit. I am using the 3G switch FWIW.

I Would really like to have a go at investigating all the unknown "neutrals" the full version of MFM offers but it seems to need more RAM than XP will let it access!

Regards

Vermin
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 08:34 AM   #522
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin View Post
Has anyone managed to get the MFM to work with GWX on a 32bit OS yet?

I can just manage the "lite" version on a clean GWX install with no other GWX "sub mods" running. I can never get the full version to load - always crashes - and apperas to be a memory issue. I have 4G RAM (the absolute practical limit AFAIK) for Win XP /32bit. I am using the 3G switch FWIW.

I Would really like to have a go at investigating all the unknown "neutrals" the full version of MFM offers but it seems to need more RAM than XP will let it access!

Regards

Vermin
I did...it works

Did you edit also the boot.ini file?
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 10:33 AM   #523
Vermin
Helmsman

Downloads: 39

I think so - I'lll double check - it gives me the two options of booting up with or without the 3G switch.

BTW can you also accees the ships in the Museum - I think you should be able to no?

Thanks

Vermin
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 11:18 AM   #524
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin View Post
I think so - I'lll double check - it gives me the two options of booting up with or without the 3G switch.

BTW can you also accees the ships in the Museum - I think you should be able to no?

Thanks

Vermin
yep...I do...using Vista 32bit
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 01:26 PM   #525
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

You also need the patched 4GB .exe that allows SH3 to use more memory, or the 3GB switch has negligible results if I understand it correctly. I use both and am about to attempt to install the full version and see what happens (currently using interim no problems on my 32bit XP). I want those neutrals too.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote