SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-15, 01:10 PM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default Breaking up noises

Anyone who is on this forum has probably seen DAS BOOT, so we're familiar with the screeching of collapsing bulkheads on a sinking ship. In game this often starts before the ship actually sinks, and sometimes the noise goes on and on and on for hours without any increase in settling or list. One thing missing - I can hear the noises in external camera view, but although the sonar shows a green light on the bearing, the screeching noises are not audible on the sonar at all. The WAV file for the noise obviously exists since you can hear it with the external cam, has anyone looked into why it's not on sonar and how we can get it there? Anything in the water, floating or sinking, SHOULD be audible on sonar if it's making any noise at all. Even with stopped screws DIW there should still be pump and other noises even if it's not breaking up.

What I'm into now is a task force with 3 Yamato BBs (I know, impossible in real life) in a SARGO. One sunk, two DIW, one of the two remaining is settled with water washing over the bow, listing to starboard with waves up to the middle of the forward turret. It's been making the screeching noise (audible in external view but not on sonar) for an hour without settling further, and I've got 3 fish left. Game plan here is to put two more into the one that's not screeching and save the last in case the screeching one is a flaming lie and it's not really sinking by itself.

So questions, has anyone looked into how we get bailing pump, repair hammers, guns (especially at night in external view you can hear them firing star shells, the noise of the guns SHOULD transmit through the hull into the water but they're not audible on sonar either) and above all the screeching into the sonar?

Two, has anyone done a study on the screeching to see if any ship that starts making the noise eventually sinks? If the crew is making repairs then the screeching SHOULD eventually stop, there should also be pump noises and visible water jets with a gradual list correction and even rising if the blasted thing ain't gonna sink. I know, another ship rigging towing lines should also be there, a lot of that is too much to ask for in this game.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 09:17 PM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I have heard the 'sinking' noises on hydrophones in the past. I don't usually spend much time listening to this stuff, so I can't say too much here. It might depend on the way the individual ships were crafted. Maybe someone else can say for sure.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-15, 01:42 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Just checked out another screwball after sinking a KONGO - external camera, drop view underwater and the screeching is louder and audible from much further away. As it should be, sound carries further and faster in water than it does in air, which is the whole point of sonar. But you can't hear it on sonar.

Irritation number 564,729 (give or take a million, who keeps track), more psychic AI nonsense.

Starting a new career with my GONE ASIATIC mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4358

Heading southwest near Corregidor head on with an enemy cruiser squadron, 1 TAKAO heavy cruiser and two KUMA light cruisers. Since this is a target rich environment and the goal is to take out the BBs and CAs so the US cruiser squadrons following you out can deal with the lesser enemy units, the task is to sink the TAKAO and let the light cruisers go past.

DD FUBUKI coming up behind the cruiser squadron alters to starboard to pass on the land side of the cruisers, so I alter to my starboard to pass on the other side. Turning west I set up two stern tubes, perfect setup since the destroyer is on the far side of the light cruisers, no way he can pick me up on his sonar. Enemy triple A opens up (again audible in external cam either above or below water but not on sonar) so all four ships are distracted and looking up instead of down, TAKAO at CAP so I shoot two torpedoes from the stern tubes. Then I see the friendly planes are Douglas TBD Devastators carrying arial torpedoes - don't get any better than that, the FUBUKI is on the far side of the cruiser squadron, my fish hit the TAKAO just as the TBDs are passing over her, logical assumption in the confusion of battle would be that the planes dropped on the TAKAO so I should get away scot free!

Nope. FUBUKI called the psychic friends network, crossed over behind the two KUMAs, and made a beeline for my exact position. I swear if they would just fix the sonar and the AI this would be an actual simulation.
Old 05-06-15, 09:20 PM   #4
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Nope. FUBUKI called the psychic friends network, crossed over behind the two KUMAs, and made a beeline for my exact position. I swear if they would just fix the sonar and the AI this would be an actual simulation.
I'm not surprised.

They could have improved this game enormously, if they had continued to work on it. So much potential wasted.

Old 05-10-15, 07:36 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Well, I sank a ship last night, and used the hydrophones to listen. You're right; no breaking up noises, just the green light coming on.

Oddly, I didn't get a sunk ship icon on the map, though it was in the log. I better not lose credit for this baby. Ships are not plentiful hereabouts.
Old 05-11-15, 10:29 AM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

Map contacts on or off? IIRC (unlikely at my age) there's no map icon with contacts off.

Another gripe last night, hacked the zones.cfg long ago to get rid of the silly "bang you're dead" arcade game programming. Rudder destroyed can't turn so game over, propellers destroyed can't move so game over. So changed the "UPropellersXXI" (U-Boat type 21, rather than changing the code from SH3 or writing new code they just used that for the fleet boats) and "RudderXXI" to armor level 250 and 1500 hit points so they can't be destroyed with a single depth charge.

Last night while running submerged at flank speed fired one fish at a MAYA heavy cruiser, he was alert and dodged it so I fired another at 600 yards which hit a magazine, then dove to 100 feet to try to get under him and he sank on top of me. Down to 400+ feet by the time I got loose, many systems damaged, but that's okay because the bridge lookouts all have high mechanical skills and they all go into damage control while submerged.

They had everything repaired withing 24 hours, 11% hull damage but all systems showing no damage. Except fuel was at 22% and battery at 25% and would not charge. After battery was damaged in the collision but not badly, forward battery no damage at all, and the after battery was 100% repaired - yet no battery charge. Checked the battery charge on/off button and cycled it, still no charge.

Okay, a refit usually repairs stuff that hasn't been repaired, even though the damage control screen was showing everything shipshape, checks 4.0 away we go, so headed off to the sub tender at SPECTRE 42 for a refit. Still 25% battery which won't charge, fuel fills up then promptly leaks out to 22% after multiple refits.

So the game don't even model emergency repairs alongside a sub tender which is specifically designed for that task. Almost makes you want to go back to PacMan.
Old 05-11-15, 09:09 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Map contacts on or off? IIRC (unlikely at my age) there's no map icon with contacts off.
I guess that's it. I never use map-contacts in career. For some reason I was expecting it to show up.

Quote:
So the game don't even model emergency repairs alongside a sub tender which is specifically designed for that task.
I thought it was always that way; meaning you had to end patrol to get repairs done. I can't really comment directly; I am usually undamaged, very slightly damaged, or dead. There isn't much room between those for my little S-boat.

Quote:
...fuel fills up then promptly leaks out to 22%
That's interesting. So multiple tanks are modeled, at least in an abstract way. I was wondering if more tanks were put in the zones, you could get more redundancy.
Old 05-12-15, 01:41 AM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Maybe, it's worth a look. Irritating part is the after battery was slightly damaged, forward battery no damage at all - if one battery is okay and the other is totally destroyed that's 50% loss, not 75. And both batteries were fine withing 24 hours but wouldn't charge, it just sat at 25%. Possibly it was one of those glitches that can be fixed by saving and reloading to reset it, but I was too disgusted to even try that and just restarted the patrol. 11% hull damage and zero damage shown to any system on that screen shouldn't be a reason to end a patrol. I've had far heavier damage to both batteries which resulted in a max charge of 90% to 98% after the batteries were repaired, never saw anything as silly as this one before.
Old 05-12-15, 08:07 PM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense.

The interior layout and mechanics of the subs is not the best.

It reminds me of the time my torpedo tube doors would not work. I hadn't suffered any damage, but for some reason they would not open. After a futile attempt to sink a ship by gunfire alone, I had to give up and go home.

Nothing showed up on the damage screen, there was nothing that could be fixed; they just wouldn't work. The most annoying aspect of it, was that I had spent quite a long time at sea before this was discovered. If the 'crew' had noted the problem, we could have saved ourselves weeks of pointless cruising.

Never figured out why.