SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-07, 03:56 PM   #376
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Shinano was hit by 4 fish. Took 5 hours to sink.
Quote:
29 November 1944:
At 0309 near position bearing 198 degrees 108 miles from Omae-zaki lighthouse struck by four torpedoes in the starboard side fired by USS ARCHERFISH. At first the damage - though severe -- is judged manageable, and the carrier is able to maintain speed and course. However, progressive flooding through incomplete fittings spreads, and a heavy list to starboard develops. Captain Abe orders the three outboard port boiler rooms flooded to take some of the list off. At dawn SHINANO had steamed 36 miles from where torpedoed and was still making 11 knots, when boiler feed water failed. At 0745 the SHINANO goes dead in the water. At 0850 HAMAKAZE and ISOKAZE take in tow, and building to 3 knots start to move toward Cape Ushio to beach her. However, the strain grows too great and the tow has to be abandoned. The list to starboard resumes and increases, and at 1018 Captain Abe gives the order to Abandon Ship. The YUKIKAZE comes alongside to starboard to remove the crew.
Kongo (really a BC) made 17 knots after being hit with 3 fish (not 2 according to the TROM). She sank after a magazine detonated about 2.5 hours after being torpedoed.

Yamato was still making 12 knots after 7 torpedoes (and more bombs). Mk13s were nearly identical in warhead strength to mk14s, BTW.

Mushashi was hit by ~11.

After 2 mk15s, Yamashiro was still able to make 18 knots. She took 2 more and sank.

Hiei was hit by 5, 2 were from a DD. She was also hit by bombs---she was scuttled, she did not sink from the damage.

I think Yamato and her sister (as functioning BBs with their decent crews) should be able to possibly soak up a bunch of fish. The other BBs... ideally well placed (below the belt?) fish should take them out with less trouble that the 2 Yamatos.

Part of the problem is lack of progressive damage, and things like poor DC resulting in a fire restarting, etc.

I'll be happy if the CVs don't capsize with 1 fish every time like they do now.
tater
Old 08-11-07, 04:11 PM   #377
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater

I'll be happy if the CVs don't capsize with 1 fish every time like they do now.
tater
yea im doing the CVs atm. You wont believe it. All CVs in stock were using the properties of medium merchants. There is a lot of changes to their compartments required too.
Old 08-11-07, 04:27 PM   #378
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default just take your time WernerSobe

and don't burn yourself out! What your doing is apreciated and very cool but like all good things it takes time so you don't make mistakes.
Old 08-11-07, 06:40 PM   #379
tater
Navy Seal

Does the compartment arrangement have anythign to do with the way the ships act in the water? How they move in rough seas, etc?

tater
Old 08-11-07, 07:09 PM   #380
WernerSobe
Commodore

yes. But all ships are by nature designed stable, otherwise they would capsize.

However some ships rock more in waves then others. You can see it even in stock game during time compression.
Old 08-11-07, 08:20 PM   #381
WernerSobe
Commodore

update:

finished with all ships. Now from my final testings ive discovered a problem...

The deckgun cannot penetrate the hull of merchants. Actualy its not a big issue, i could just reduce the armor rating for every ship. Or i could increase the armor piercing rating for the deckgun.

Now can someone point me to the right values for the deckgun? to tired to find them on my own.
Old 08-11-07, 09:10 PM   #382
tater
Navy Seal

This post might help (better if I could read it at all in blue on dark grey, lol):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=52

I think an AP round from a deck gun could likely overpenetrate a merchant hull in RL (to see that in game sometimes where a splash is behind the ship (assuming it is overpenetration and not a bug). I know in the case of some light AFVs, guns like an 88 could go in one side and out the other with straight AP.

Quote:
The in game AP value is AP x PT + HPValue/ALF; The PT value is randomly generated and can be a + or – and from 0 up to the Zones.cfg specified value.

PT = Penetration Threshold=0.2 ; ALF = Armor Level Factor=4

The results of this mean that for the 4” AP shell with the AP value of 25 and a HP range of 10 to 25, then using the maximum PT values the armour that will be penetrated for each HP
tater

Last edited by tater; 08-11-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 09:39 PM   #383
ubik
Nub

Downloads: 3

My first post here, first of all, let me say thank you for an excellent mod that goes great with TM 1.5.

Now for the questions:

Will explosive rounds still be usable even if not penetrating the armour?

Is flamability considered in the damage model?

What are the present effects of a ship on fire? Pure eyecandy or can we expect some kind of continual damage to the object?

Is it possible for the damage control parties to put out a fire?

Thanks again for the hard work!
Old 08-11-07, 09:43 PM   #384
Schultzy
Commander

Downloads: 48

Just another quick question. Is it RFB compatible? I'm guessing not but better to ask.

Looks like a massive step forward so whether I can use it or not! Keep up the great work Werner!
SH5 is to history what Star Trek is to science...it is exciting and inspiring, but eventually you have to come home from the convention, take off the pointy ears, and come to the realization that it was all just pretend and make-believe.
Old 08-11-07, 09:50 PM   #385
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy
Just another quick question. Is it RFB compatible? I'm guessing not but better to ask.

Looks like a massive step forward so whether I can use it or not! Keep up the great work Werner!
actualy it should be compatible with anything as long its installed last. The files used in this mod are only touching the damage system. When you override the files you simply override the old damge system by the new one without touching anything else.
Old 08-11-07, 09:51 PM   #386
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
This post might help (better if I could read it at all in blue on dark grey, lol):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=52

I think an AP round from a deck gun could likely overpenetrate a merchant hull in RL (to see that in game sometimes where a splash is behind the ship (assuming it is overpenetration and not a bug). I know in the case of some light AFVs, guns like an 88 could go in one side and out the other with straight AP.

Quote:
The in game AP value is AP x PT + HPValue/ALF; The PT value is randomly generated and can be a + or – and from 0 up to the Zones.cfg specified value.

PT = Penetration Threshold=0.2 ; ALF = Armor Level Factor=4

The results of this mean that for the 4” AP shell with the AP value of 25 and a HP range of 10 to 25, then using the maximum PT values the armour that will be penetrated for each HP
tater
tnx yea i forgot about pt and alf maybe thats a solution. I just dont want to change armor ratings because it might screw the balance somewhere.
Old 08-11-07, 09:56 PM   #387
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubik
My first post here, first of all, let me say thank you for an excellent mod that goes great with TM 1.5.

Now for the questions:

Will explosive rounds still be usable even if not penetrating the armour?

Is flamability considered in the damage model?

What are the present effects of a ship on fire? Pure eyecandy or can we expect some kind of continual damage to the object?

Is it possible for the damage control parties to put out a fire?

Thanks again for the hard work!
1. no, the shell must pass the hull or it does no damage. Its not finished yet i will fix it so the HE shells will penetrate all merchants.

2. not sure what you mean. But yes ships will catch on fire.

3. no its just an animated effect it doesnt add more damage over time. To be honest i doubt that its possible with sh4, anyway maybe there is a workaround that i dont know about but i think i can see the entire picture of the damage system already (i even dream of hex codes at night and know what they mean) and i havent found a way for damage over time.

4. fires will disappear on their own after a while.
Old 08-11-07, 10:02 PM   #388
tater
Navy Seal

Just as a reality check, since progressive damage is not part of the engine, I guess that means that "regular" damage should err on the side of too much rather than too little. There are certainly many cases of ships that should have survived coming to a bad end later due to progressive damage (usually fire).

<S>

tater
Old 08-11-07, 11:44 PM   #389
WernerSobe
Commodore

final tests show good results. I think im finished... cant believe it, it was so many hours of work.

well preparing a release.
Old 08-12-07, 03:32 AM   #390
WilhelmTell
Engineer

Downloads: 38

Spitze !
Can't wait to see your mod working ingame ...

Regards,
Tell
Closed Thread