Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-10, 12:18 AM   #1
crashed97tsi
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I cannot hit anything

Hello:

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot hit anything with Torpedoes in this game. Everytime I use the TDC and input the ship type, range, speed, bearing, and AOB I miss horribly. The torpedos keep going where the ship was when I fired the torpedo, not where it is going to be when the torpedo gets there.

This is on automatic mode btw, no manual targeting mode yet. However, no matter what I do I cannot get a hit at over 500m. The torpedos just miss horribly.

SO any ideas? I am also positive I am identifying, ranging, and estimating speed correctly. I think my problem is with the angle off bow or whatever.

Game is good so far, however I really miss the crew interface of the past games. This new type doesn't really work for me.
crashed97tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:24 AM   #2
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

If you are on automatic targetting, you dont need to input anything.

Look in the manual.. it will explain what those numbered circles are on your minimap.. and how to use them in auto targetting to help lead your shot.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:00 AM   #3
kptn_kaiserhof
XO

Downloads: 42

i to love the old interface from 4 & 5.......... and yes i mean the tdc
kptn_kaiserhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:03 AM   #4
DMB3428
Watch

Downloads: 46

one thing im doing is "leading" the target...I put the cross hair on the bow of the boat and then update the range then fire.....I prefer the SH4 method with the dials and such...THIS HAS TO BE MODDED IMO!
DMB3428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 09:28 AM   #5
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I posted this somewhere else, but it may help here as well:

This is with manual TDC, but map updates "on", which I find is the best way to learn since you can practice manual targeting and doublecheck against the map readings to figure out what you are doing wrong.

The solution (i.e. range, AOB, speed) was plugged in exactly from the data on the map. I aimed at the bow and midships and the torpedoes hit where I was aiming. The gyro angle takes into account not only the aim point, but the fact that the TGT is moving right to left at 10 knots.

When you have a perfect solution, the torpedo will go exactly where you aim it.

I have not tried AUTO TDC, so I do not know what the issue is or why it does not work the same way.
Old 03-01-10, 09:29 AM   #6
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Yeah the Scope and AOB is linked in manual TDC like it was in SH3. But.. I wish it will tell you what the gyro angle is.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:48 PM   #7
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20

Like to tell the devs something... When its not broke don't fix it. Auto TDC worked fine in the last 2 games. Why did you go and make this boehamouth carppy new system for.

Alright I played around with it a little a figured it out. You have to basically play connect the freaking dots with AUTO TDC. In this case connect the numbers.

Don't use TDC ON. Bad for auto...
1. Set your torpedo speed for it reaches the ship numbers on the Tac Map. Matters how close you are.

Now line up the closes two numbers to each other and push the stupid fire button.

Connect the dots. You have about a 75% chance of hitting it at this point.

Good luck.

What a crappy system.. My god nothing wrong with the old way,,, It made us feel special... Like we could do it, when we could not. This dot system is a freaking joke.

Now I have to learn manual.. Because Now it makes me feel to stupid... LOL.

Auto connect the dots they should call it. What a disgrace.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:58 PM   #8
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Manual targeting goons
Ruin everything
Thread about shooting auto
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 12:13 AM   #9
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105

Almost right, fredderf
Haiku is Five-Seven-Five
But points for effort.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 08:46 AM   #10
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth74 View Post
Like to tell the devs something... When its not broke don't fix it. Auto TDC worked fine in the last 2 games. Why did you go and make this boehamouth carppy new system for.

Alright I played around with it a little a figured it out. You have to basically play connect the freaking dots with AUTO TDC. In this case connect the numbers.

1. Set your torpedo speed for it reaches the ship numbers on the Tac Map. Matters how close you are.

Now line up the closes two numbers to each other and push the stupid fire button.

Good luck.

What a crappy system.. My god nothing wrong with the old way,,, It made us feel special... Like we could do it, when we could not. This dot system is a freaking joke.

I had been hoping to use auto TDC so I could focus on being the captain, but I can't bring myself to use that ridiculous line up the numbers thing myself. Wholeheartedly concur with your post.

However, I do like the way manual TDC replicates the data gathering-order giving model of torpedo firing so I'm not to put out by going over to manual. OTH, there are appear to bugs with this as well, and I don't care for the way the recognition manual appears in this installment.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:14 AM   #11
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:

Good luck.

there also seems to be a problem with the fix in 1.01 to auot targeting, namely:

1. w. manual TDC + map updates "off" + TDC off + locked TGT:

-you get no info on the track of your TGT, but the firing solution (yellow line) is aiming at where your TGT is going. On 100% realism, the firing solution w. TDC off should point straight down the sight bearing (i.e. where your scope is aiming)

example:

2. w. manual TDC + map updates "on" + TDC off + locked TGT:

-the situation is reversed. You get info on the track of your TGT, but the firing solution (yellow line) is aiming straight down the sight bearing (i.e. where your scope is aiming) and not where the ship moving to.

example:

in this shot, I have locked on to a ship in the view of my scope (the light blue cone). You see the ship and its predicted track, but the predicted path of my torpedo (yellow line) now aims correctly straight down the view bearing (i.e. down the light blue cone);

the fix has been reversed, on 100% realism, w. manual TDC + map updates off + TDC off, you should not see the ship or its predicted path and the torpedo should shoot straight down the bearing (i.e. light blue cone).

until this is fixed, the game is only playable with manual TDC + TDC on.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 03-03-10 at 09:32 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:38 PM   #12
digitizedsoul
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 33

Quote:

Good luck.

LOL Not only am I still laughing, but truer words were never spoken...
digitizedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:57 PM   #13
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Or you could use the Fast 90. Works a treat.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:27 PM   #14
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
Or you could use the Fast 90. Works a treat.

whats a fast 90. You got my attention.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:33 PM   #15
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Yep, works.
Not quite as intuitive, cos you can't see the dials, but tell the annoying officer who pops up in the periscope your bearing, AOB, range and speed and it is a fast 90.

AOB changes to reflect your periscope bearing.

Again, you cannot see this diredctly. But I have checked. Change your bearing, then check the AOB, you will see it has changed to reflect the new AOB.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote