SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-14, 07:26 PM   #1
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

Ahhhhhhhhhh that is so good to see we have a realism fanatic on the job.

The 10 to 15 minutes to blow the ballast fully on surface is something I simulate right now using TDW's decks awash patch.I only press surface boat if I need to catch an enemy ship and instead I usually surface only to decks awash for 10 minutes and then press surface.But with the instant refill of compressed air and the lack of realistic compressed air usage simulation its all in my head for now,but I like the realism stuff like this and the more its forced the better.

Stuff like realistic turn rates is another one.I modded in a realistic turn rate to the IX sub and found to get out of certain docks was a real chore and wished I had ability to run only one diesel for higher turning ratio.

Finally the crash dives and running decks awash.Right now in SH5 its 13 seconds to crash dive and around 7 seconds when decks awash which is way wrong and kind negates running decks awash.Now if a crash dive took the normal 40 something seconds then decks awash is a big plus for survivability of the sub in air dense areas.

I will watch your developments.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 07:45 PM   #2
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Stuff like realistic turn rates is another one.
This was another hard part of the development. I've wrote an (unreleased) flight sim based on the blade element theory some years ago (similar to what X-Plane does), I always thought this was complicated. But ships are actually much more complicated to calculate than aircrafts and the different necessary formulas are usually always weird estimations for certain types of ships. There are so many factors, you can't take them all into account for a real time simulation (some is really weird stuff like the vacuum in the water created when a ship is turning).
And then there is hull fouling etc.
I'm happy with the results I've got which match the historical data by 90%. I had to fine tune the hull parameters a lot till it matched the data to at least 90% at all speeds in calm sea.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 08:53 PM   #3
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

I find that its the small tiniest details that throw me a curve ball and ruin my immersion in sims so its great to read this stuff.Please also simulate stuff like enemy ships sending SOS messages and planes in the area responding.I just attacked a freighter right off coast of Poland with the deck gun(I could see their port with binos) and I got one of those feelings that I should be attacked by a plane.Stuff like this is where realism shines.Attacking with deck gun and having to run decks awash while anticipating enemy retaliation is missing in SH series,or rather I have never experienced it before.

EDIT...you cant run decks awash and use the deck gun! DOH
Old 11-09-14, 09:16 PM   #4
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10

There will be two versions "WOTA: U 96" the first one, and "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic" the "full" one. The U 96 version will is simplified to make a faster release possible.

The full version comes with such things you've mentioned. It will also have a pool of enemy units and virtual production of units, which means when you sink a ship or shot down an aircraft it will be really gone which influences the further campaign and also influences calculated battles that run in the background (simplified AI battles which you don't see but they will have an effect on which units are alive and at which position at a certain time).
The AI will be split into layers from a virtual high command (running at a slow interval) over sectional commands to battlegroups and convoys commanders to single ships (which run in realtime if they are within range of the player). The very lowest layer is gunner and the watch out AI which works in shifts (will work less efficient at the end of a shift) and at different levels of experience (which the player can't know) - those AI units send messages with a realistic delay to the higher level AI (like the skipper AI of a ship). The different layers of the AI communicates with each higher or lower AI level. Which means a ship will send radio messages when under attack or when spotting a sub.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 10:02 PM   #5
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Sounds excellent and I cant wait for the PC release!
Old 01-01-15, 12:58 PM   #6
bart
Frogman

Downloads: 245

v-i-c your work so far looks very very impressive and I'm following it with much interest. Fantastic work so far mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Sounds excellent and I cant wait for the PC release!
Me too.........
Old 01-12-15, 05:37 PM   #7
Punkrokker
Watch

Downloads: 0

This looks very promising. It will be on the top of my list for games to watch out for.
Punkrokker is offline   Reply With Quote