Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-24, 02:44 PM   #376
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

<

Quote:
Despite losing money at a rate of more than $1 billion per month since June of 2022, Meta affirmed its commitment to Reality Labs, saying, "we continue to expect operating losses to increase meaningfully year-over-year due to our ongoing product development efforts and our investments to further scale our ecosystem."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/meta-l...illion-on-vrar

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-24, 03:37 PM   #377
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The point is that with the Relaity Labs and Applab and the software ecosystem they do not need to be making profits with VR hardware like the other companies producing VR headsets. Itzs the softwarecosystem that generates their profits from VR - at least sufficient o more than comensate for the non-profts from hardware sales. This way they saturate the VR market with their brands, even more so that now they open their operating system and plan that Asus, Lenovo and other companies release hardware of their own, but with Meta OS, merging them into the brand'S ecosphere. Clever move, imo. The Quest however promsies to remain the key player, since it may not be the outstanding perfectionist in any of the different performance sectoirs of VR headsets, but excelles sufficnetl yin all of them, and notallowign any weaklnesses of its own, this way presenting itself as the VW of VR, so to speak, the dominating generalist most people will turn to.

What should I say? I have packed my PC-bound G2 and stored it away. The one bigger player that turns into a victim of VR development, was surposingly or not surprisngly Microsoft'S Mixed Reality. Thats why they deactivate it in their windows versions. Microsoft never succeeded in really debugging it and improving its sometimes shaky reliability. The dying of Mixe dRelaity by Windows is not the customers' fault, but completely Microsoft's own fault. They messed up another hardware "revolution" of theirs. Not the first, but just the last in a long chain of failed Microsoft hardware attempts.

New Picos seem to be on their way. A new Valve headset is expected, too, after many years. I expect both to be much more expensive than the Quest 3.
Old 05-01-24, 05:43 AM   #378
Skybird
Soaring

Version 65 is coming. Small but good refinements, "stealing" from Apple.
Old 05-02-24, 05:08 AM   #379
Skybird
Soaring

Looks stunning.