SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-12, 06:17 PM   #46
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by La vache View Post
Hello rudewarrior

It confused me, I have in all Torpedo.sim type=II range=3000 and speed=28.
Also in my original backup. If this is not the stock value?
The G7e/TII torpedo needed to be heated with a battery before being placed in the torpedo tube. When fully heated, the torpedo has a range of 5000 m and speed of 30 kts. The bigger mods, e.g. GWX, generally use these values. However, the torpedo would generally cool while in the torpedo tube, due to its proximity to the ocean and its typically lower temperatures. During a period of time, the torpedoes were not being heated due to the depth-keeping issue/torpedo crisis. An unheated torpedo had a range of 3000 m at 28 kts.

This should be the torpedo setting for this time.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 10:22 AM   #47
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0

Thank you rudewarrior

Now a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.
Use these values, so that the mod makes sense.
Have posted in the topic Marine Sim.

regards

Last edited by La vache; 11-19-12 at 03:40 PM.
La vache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:39 PM   #48
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Thank you rudewarrior

Now a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.
Use these values, so that the mod makes sense.
Have posted in the topic Marine Sim.

regards
Hi La vache,

It looks like in your comments, you are looking for some references, here are a couple:

uboat.net

Quote:
G7e T2 Electric 5000m/30kts *

* data for preheated state. Full effectiveness was obtained when the T2 was preheated electrically to 30 degrees Cent (86 F) before firing. Not preheated figures are 28 knots for 3000m.
uboataces.com

Quote:
A peculiar characteristic of the T III was that the batteries had to be pre-heated prior to launch. The T III had a maximum range of 5,000 meters at 30 knots, but the range would be reduced to 1,280 meters if the batteries not been pre-heated. This torpedo was also more fickle, and had to be serviced every three to four days.
Here is another with some specs:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTGER_WWII.htm

Unfortunately, none of these sites give references for their information.

However, one of my key references in my research was Wright's Master's Thesis, Wolves Without Teeth. I was in email contact with him for a while, and he said his two most valuable sources were Eberhardt Rossler's Die Torpedos der Deutschen U-Boote and Heinz Trompelt's Eine Andere Sicht: Tatsachenbericht eines Torpedo-Obermech. und Fanricht z. S. Gefahren auf U-459 und U-172. They are both in German, and if you can get ahold of them and take a look at them, they might be of interest to us. From what I understand, they are highly technical, and if you are interested in wading through that, they might be of interest to the overall picture of the mod as well.

Viel Glück!
Old 11-26-12, 12:47 PM   #49
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I was wondering about how to install the mod

I haven't used JSGME with SH3Commander so I'm unsure how I should use it. Is this how it goes?

1. edit and renumber menu_1024_768.ini
2. copy the tga files to appropriate SH3 folder (data/menu/OLC)
3. install JSGME to SH3Commander's main folder
4. make a new folder called "mods" in SH3Commander's main folder
5. copy JFO's folder called "Date" to SH3Commander program's folder "mods"
6. Enable "Date" with JSGME
Old 11-26-12, 10:41 PM   #50
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I was wondering about how to install the mod

I haven't used JSGME with SH3Commander so I'm unsure how I should use it. Is this how it goes?

1. edit and renumber menu_1024_768.ini
2. copy the tga files to appropriate SH3 folder (data/menu/OLC)
3. install JSGME to SH3Commander's main folder
4. make a new folder called "mods" in SH3Commander's main folder
5. copy JFO's folder called "Date" to SH3Commander program's folder "mods"
6. Enable "Date" with JSGME
Almost. Inside the "mods" folder, you need a folder called "JFO! Mod" or something like that. Then you copy the Date folder into that. If you do it the way you mentioned here, then you will have all the dated folders in the main directory for SH3 Commander. The file name in the mods folder should be called the actual name of the mod. You enable that, and it puts all the info inside that folder into the directory that jsgme is running in. So the way you have it listed right now means jsgme thinks that the name of the mod is "Date."

Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-12, 11:55 AM   #51
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

Yes this helps a lot! Thanks for clearing this out for me. I'll start installing the mod as soon as possible and expect to keep using this one for good.

I don't think people realise how much work this mod must have taken. All the reading and checking of BdU's war diary - it's a work load a historian would find heavy duty. Thanks again and I'm really happy Neal Stevens got this mod stickied
Old 11-28-12, 12:08 PM   #52
sublynx
Sea Lord

I now have the mod working with no problems

If only I had some time to actually get some playing done...
Old 11-28-12, 03:35 PM   #53
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I now have the mod working with no problems
Yay!

Quote:
If only I had some time to actually get some playing done...
I know what you mean. I am working with La vache to get a German version for the mod, and I am learning enough C++ to write a program that will move the appropriate files into the game based on a date that you enter. That way it will always be up to date in the game. Hopefully, I can get that done and then start playing, too.
Old 11-29-12, 12:43 PM   #54
sublynx
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
I am learning enough C++ to write a program that will move the appropriate files into the game based on a date that you enter.
That's great news

And who knows what else could be done to SH3 modwise if there are modders with programming skills around
Old 11-29-12, 03:21 PM   #55
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Hello rudewarrior

Sorry for long silence, I Travelled. Short Update.
Notes and messages translated. I sent them the day as a data packet.
Commander templates empty without swastika prepared.

Change Torpedo.sim by Randomised events.
It works very well activation without JSGME.
Interresting maybe for you? Different mods have different Torpedo.sim = hex addresses. You have to see if it works.

La vache
Old 11-30-12, 12:24 PM   #56
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Hello rudewarrior

Sorry for long silence, I Travelled. Short Update.
Notes and messages translated. I sent them the day as a data packet.
Commander templates empty without swastika prepared.

Change Torpedo.sim by Randomised events.
It works very well activation without JSGME.
Interresting maybe for you? Different mods have different Torpedo.sim = hex addresses. You have to see if it works.

La vache
Hi La vache,

I have been traveling, too. However, I have not received your email. Please send it again when you get a chance.

I am aware of the ability to use Commander's Randomized Events to edit the torpedo settings, however, it does not read it for the current patrol, only for the starting patrol date. I will write it in as an option to the next readme for people who are not as picky as me.
Old 12-01-12, 01:06 PM   #57
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Hello rudewarrior

Email sent. Please see what you can use.

Quote:
Zitat von rudewarrior
Events to edit the torpedo settings, however, it does not read it for the current patrol, only for the starting patrol date.
It works even in the patrol.

La vache
Old 12-01-12, 03:21 PM   #58
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Hello rudewarrior

Email sent. Please see what you can use.
I received your email, I will take a look.

Quote:
It works even in the patrol.
Ok, this is some really strange behavior by SH3 Commander. It updates the changed value for the TII ranges and speeds based on the date in the patrol, but it does not update the orders templates based on the date in the patrol.

I find this rather surprising.

In all honesty this doesn't make any sense from a programming standpoint.
Old 12-01-12, 06:29 PM   #59
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Zitat von rudewarrior
Ok, this is some really strange behavior by SH3 Commander. It updates the changed value for the TII ranges and speeds based on the date in the patrol, but it does not update the orders templates based on the date in the patrol.
I see. SH3 Commander can only be read on the date of beginning Patrol.
JSGME activation is accurate solution.

La vache
Old 12-01-12, 07:47 PM   #60
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
I see. SH3 Commander can only be read on the date of beginning Patrol.
JSGME activation is accurate solution.

La vache
Ok, I was hoping that was the case otherwise I was going to be very confused. I will go ahead and include the option in the readme for the next release, just so people are aware that it is an option.

I got your email. I have looked at what you've done so far, it looks pretty good.

The Wanze reference has been a problem for me for some time. The first time it is issued is on 2 Aug 43 with the opening of the Piening route. Then on 29 Aug 43, BdU restricts entry into certain grids, without actually closing the Piening route. Then on 31 Aug 43 BdU "opens" it again (or removes the grid restrictions, depending on how you look at it). What I did with the actual orders templates is I removed the grid restrictions from the SOP template for 31 Aug 43, but I didn't include a message from BdU. I don't know if this is the best solution, but the real problem is that Wanze is not actually simulated anywhere in the game. The RWR's simulated before and after are FuMB-7 Naxos and FuMB-10 Borkum, respectively. How about translating this for me instead for a transmission on 31 Aug 43:

Quote:
The grid restrictions for entry into the Piening route are no longer in effect.
That way I can hopefully refer to Wanze as little as possible.

A couple of issues:

First, it seems that the image manipulation program that you are using is creating some errors in the overlay templates. I have included a screen cap of some examples.

In addition, I am going to stick to the blue background. It is easier to work with, since I already have it that way. Also, there are several reasons I went with a darker background. One is that the blue is supposed to somewhat match the ocean background. In addition, a lighter color over such a large space can be quite blinding, especially if you are playing in the dark. Feel free to edit it to suit your purposes.

Also, when I do the orders templates, I will be keeping a similar tab to what I originally had in the lower right hand corner, as I essentially modeled it on makman's GUI, and I will be maintaining that format. Also, I will release a set of German orders where one has the swastika and one does not. That way people can use it as they see fit.

I'm hoping that you don't feel like you wasted your time on the graphics stuff, I was hoping that I had communicated that a little better up thread, since I have all the graphics stuff well in hand. If you could just do the translating, I'll take care of the rest. It will probably be easiest for me to manipulate the graphics stuff since I made it all and I still have the original files to work with my image program.

Good luck and keep up the good work!