Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-15, 12:46 PM   #541
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
You know what I'm very tired of? I'm very tired of people speaking on behalf of other people. You all seem like great experts in Islamic teaching and culture, knowing precisely nothing of it other than what a very skewed media feeds you, and regurgitating language that comes literally from the mouth of fascist ideologues who have defined it thus.

I am so beyond done with this forum No moderation, no effort to be in any way tolerant and friendly, and now even the admin is drinking the cool aid
Don't you find the discussion here amusing? I mean even I am a muslim loving humanitarian liberal by comparison
Old 12-14-15, 12:51 PM   #542
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
...knowing precisely nothing of it other than what a very skewed media feeds you...
Enlighten us then?
And how do you know who knows what here due to what source?
Simply claiming one is ill-informed without any foundation is no argument at all.

Open the Quran, read a few of the often cited and criticized lines and tell me again how the "skewed media feeds me" ...and then bring the classics: Misunderstood, wrong translation, can't be translated, out of context, ... [insertrandomexcuse]
(If you included me in that post of yours that is. At least I felt addressed.)

I can only work with what I know and what I see.
And I have seen enough of the 'religion of peace' to know that I do not want it in "my" country, because I am convinced that it will lead to very bad things sooner or later.
No one told me to think that way, it is my observation, but it is so convenient to simply call every critic an islamophobe, a liar, someone ill-informed, a right-wing nut etc. isn't it?

Meanwhile, hundreds of people die every week in the name of this ideology, surely we all just misunderstand or are blinded by our hate and fear and what not.
Old 12-14-15, 01:00 PM   #543
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
It's just a rubbish point.
Oh, OK then.

Quote:
Heard them before, maybe.
'Maybe'? Most definitely (at least from my POV).

Quote:
That doesn't make them either representative, worth repeating, indicative of what he's talking about, or informative in any way.
Very representative to me, there is a reason why I was nodding my head while reading his post. Been there, heard that.
Maybe that indicates that he didn't just pull that one out of his butt?

Quote:
If the intent is to say that this is how the majority of these kind of interactions go, well then it's bigoted garbage that, again, isn't worth the TCP/IP packets.
Actually, when you browse the net, read comments under videos (youtube), pictures (imgur/reddit/...) or from articles of various news/political pages you might be surprised, because what he said is exactly "Islam is good/evil discussion in a nutshell".
No matter what you, as a critic of Islam, say, you will definitely hear one or more of the lines he 'quoted'.
That doesn't mean that there aren't people with real arguments for a change, but this very well reflects the majority of debates about this topic, unfortunately.
Old 12-14-15, 01:04 PM   #544
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

I hate to break it to you man, but YouTube comments or news website comment sections are not the place to go for reasoned arguments from reasonable people.

Go to where the idiots are and all you'll get is idiot comments.

Don't confuse online chatter with actual debate. It usually isn't worth the time.

This thread is getting close to useless the more I read of it.

Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but encountering idiots you disagree with on YouTube comments doesn't make you right.

EDIT - and this just proves how stupid the post was in the first place. "Look what some idiot said" isn't often the start of a great argument.
Old 12-14-15, 01:07 PM   #545
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I hate to break it to you man, but YouTube comments or news website comment sections are not the place to go for reasoned arguments from reasonable people.

Go to where the idiots are and all you'll get is idiot comments.

Don't confuse online chatter with actual debate. It usually isn't worth the time.

This thread is getting close to useless the more I read of it.

Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but encountering idiots you disagree with on YouTube comments doesn't make you right.
I agree with you and I am well aware, but you can't simply exclude all these people because you see fit.
They have their (shoddy) opinions, like it or not - and since they are so many, these ARE the most read comments, so again: Rockstar has a point there (which feels weird to say, tbh.)

Edit:
The thread was doomed from the very start.
Every regular here knows that.
Doesn't mean it has no right to exist or one shouldn't try, right?
Not everything said in here was nonsense or useless. But if we look at it from that perspective, we can lock down GT all together and call it a day.
These topics aren't easy to debate. We at Subsim sure aren't the only ones trying... and maybe failing.
Old 12-14-15, 01:12 PM   #546
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
You know what I'm very tired of? I'm very tired of people speaking on behalf of other people. You all seem like great experts in Islamic teaching and culture, knowing precisely nothing of it other than what a very skewed media feeds you, and regurgitating language that comes literally from the mouth of fascist ideologues who have defined it thus.

I am so beyond done with this forum No moderation, no effort to be in any way tolerant and friendly, and now even the admin is drinking the cool aid
That is an outright and damnable lie! Sailor Steve has issued Three red tags infracts in a row to myself, Rockstar, and Oberon 'the ever tolerant' (posts 395,396, 397 and even I managed to quote Mohammend Ali's insightful tolerant imput into the state of world affairs (post 442). Magnificent moderation IMHO! A PhD candidate should not make blanket statements that ignore the exculpatory facts. Nice comment about administrative Koolaid though!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 01:27 PM   #547
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
But if we look at it from that perspective, we can lock down GT all together and call it a day.
I wish you guys had said something before I sent Neal this years forum dues.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 02:52 PM   #548
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
These are only the second and third photos I've ever seen of that incident. The other one was from the air and I only saw it about a month ago. Crazy!
Old 12-14-15, 06:33 PM   #549
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
freedom of speech is paramount, but as has already been said, freedom of speech has a down side in that people are free to preach hatred and convert people to radicalism under freedom of speech.
Seriously? Are you referring to this discussion group? I assume you mean in the general population... otherwise I cannot understand what you mean about converting people to radicalism...I don't see any extremists here, the ones I see are on the news with innocent blood on their hands.

Yeah, I keep forgetting if I post something someone disagrees with, it's a big problem. Pass the kool aide, please.
Old 12-14-15, 06:58 PM   #550
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Yeah, I keep forgetting if I post something someone disagrees with, it's a big problem. Pass the kool aide, please.
Just because you're the admin of this page doesn't mean you can't have or express your opinion, I really don't see the connection some seem to make.
When you start to make up rules that go against those who disagree, then we'd have a problem here - but I can't imagine that at all.
So long, Subsim always allowed people to share their opinion and thoughts, even questionable ones, as long as they go along with the very sane set of rules we have here.
Edit: (...and the excellent moderation of this board!)
Old 12-14-15, 07:09 PM   #551
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Thanks for that. Someone always calls me out. I don't post that much, but let me say something that's not appropriately PC, like maybe a sovereign nation should have the right to determine its immigration needs and I get a noose around my neck.

It's all just opinions, people, we all have them.
Old 12-14-15, 10:04 PM   #552
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Huh? No, no, no I meant in general, sorry if that was worded badly. The collision between Freedom of Speech and Internal Security is a problem in all the western world at the moment.
In regards to expressing your own opinion, that would probably depend on if you were talking as Neal Stevens the owner of Subsim and its representative, or Neal Stevens the user of Subsim.
It's an awkward situation for any site owner or moderator as August has pointed out in the past. Like it or not, GT is the most active part of this site, and as such is probably where most people will look when they first come to Subsim (although I do note a lot of people stay in the Silent Hunter subforum and don't come down to GT that often), and as the site owner and main face of Subsim, what you say helps shape what Subsim is.
I suppose in one respect it's how what the president of the US does will affect how everyone in the world views Americans as a whole.

But yeah, wasn't targeting you directly, besides I know where you stand on most of these things already.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-15, 05:13 AM   #553
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Q:I see my neighborhood changing and it worries me.

A: All muslims are not the problem.

Q: I dont feel safe in my neighborhood anymore.

A: How dare you say all muslims are the problem

Q: I view the the current islamic ideology as something dangerous.

A: Just replace Islamic with Jewish and you sound just like a nazi.

Q: Islamic ideology reminds me of nazisim.

A: Takes one to know one.

Q: My parents have been assaulted by immigrants.

Q: I wish my government would stop permitting so many immigrants to enter.

Q: I never said all muslims are the problem.

A: So what's your problem then?

Hehe, I just felt like having had a deja-vu.
Old 12-15-15, 08:54 AM   #554
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Just an FYI, my previous post wasnt a slam against 'all' of islam or muslims.

In our small community here we have a few who may be feeling somewhat helpless as they are claiming to witness first hand their neighborhoods take a header and are dealing directly with rising crime rates, assaults, and a waning sense of security. Granted some in the Islamic religion combined with media services and political divisivness make it even harder to deal with.

But for these few here speaking the root problem they say they are seeing, like it or not, are in fact muslim immigrants. And it seems to me when those few come out and accurately identify the source of their problem. Others who have nothing at all in common with their current situation just outright accuse them of not understanding, being or thinking like a nazi, or chastise them its not all muslims, get diagnosed by internet quacks with a phobia, and scolded for not being more tolerent.

Anyone should be able to say someone is messing up my neighborhood without the PC police getting their panties in a wad and accuse the person of having a phobia. Im fairly certain they, the actual victim, knows not everyone from the middle east are messing things up, they are not phobic, they are not nazis, they do understand.

They are however probably more than a little ticked off.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-15, 08:57 AM   #555
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Just an FYI, my previous post wasnt a slam against 'all' of islam or muslims.

In our small community here we have a few who may be feeling somewhat helpless as they are claiming to witness first hand their neighborhoods take a header and are dealing directly with rising crime rates, assaults, and a waning sense of security. Granted some in the Islamic religion combined with media services and political divisivness make it even harder to deal with.

But for these few speaking out the root problem they say they are seeing, like it or not, are in fact muslim immigrants. And it seems to me when those few come out and accurately identify the source of their problem. Others who have nothing at all in common with their current situation just outright accuse them of not understanding, being or thinking like a nazi, or chastise them its not all muslims, get diagnosed by internet quacks with a phobia, and scolded for not being more tolerent.

Anyone should be able to say someone is messing up my neighborhood without the PC police getting their panties in a wad and accuse the person of having a phobia. Im fairly certain they, the actual victim, is not phobic, they are not nazis, they do understand, and know not everyone from the middle east is messing things up

They are however probably more than a little ticked off.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terrorism