SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-14, 05:18 AM   #1
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942
Uploads: 0
Default Playing at full realism settings

Hello
I want to take a chance by playing at full realism settings and I would appreciate any advice the good people here can give. I know how to proper use the TDC and i am decent with the radar too, but i want to learn more about tracking and plotting course for a ship or a convoy after i have found them visually or with hydrophone.
Thanks in advance!
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 08:25 AM   #2
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Check out this link. Lot's of great stuff there:
Here

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 12:15 AM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

It's hard to give specific advise, since there is a big difference between playing with full realism settings, and playing realistically.

However, you mentioned plotting, so I would advise you to forgo map contacts (when you are ready). This is a more difficult mode of play, but you will learn the business better, and is more realistic.

Every plot will consist of a series of observations, and every observation should provide information related to bearing, range, course, and speed. There are only 4. Knowing these provides all the information you need for a firing solution.

Bearing and range are readily understood, but many have difficulty with course and speed; especially course (i.e. Aob). To obtain good estimates of course, you must understand what the Angle off the Bow is, and be able to estimate it. Estimating Aob can be tricky, but improves with practice. If you have good plot with points accurately located (that is having good values of bearing, range and course) speed can then be easily calculated.

There is a utility in the downloads section that has a training mode where you can estimate the Aob of a ship, and then see how good your estimate was:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1358

Also, if you don't dislike math, and are interested in non-TDC methods this will interest you:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=200846&page=4
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 05:01 AM   #4
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Torpx WOW

That's a great application. Well done.

Now full realism includes crew training. I, the player, can now train myself using your tool and testing at various skill levels. Wonderful.

Another aspect of full realism, to many people, is avoiding the TC, meaning playing at real time. While this is realistic...nobody has enough time to do this at TC1 and have a normal life.

What I do, and suggest, is play at TC1 until I am about to finish a session for the day. Then I speed up to get past a lot of empty ocean. The next time I start, I begin further into my patrol without wasting a lot of time.
Old 04-03-14, 08:11 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

You might want to look at my "High Realism Tutorial" I've had floating around for a while. I explain many of the concepts you'll need to learn like determining AoB; the function/use of the Position Keeper; how to plot a target on the Navigation Map using the realism option of "No map contacts update"; there's a handy "Speed Chart" and "Worksheet" too.

This revised version, released in 2009, can be used with or without my "AoB Calculator". A hand held device that will aid in determining a target's bearing and course when at the Navigation Map. There have been several editions of the Calculator since I made it in 2007 (I see Gutted is using it in his Solution Solver), the latest was reproduced by Jerm138 in a PDF form found HERE.

Along with the Tutorial, you may wish to download the "Practice High Realism Mission" which sets up the same target the Tutorial uses. Being able to follow along using the same target will get you up to speed in figuring out the mechanics of manual targeting, under a controlled environment. It's JSGME compatible, you just add the mission to the game as any other mod.

As always, read the Documentation for all of the above.

Good luck!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 08:14 AM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
You might want to look at my "High Realism Tutorial" I've had floating around for a while. I explain many of the concepts you'll need to learn like determining AoB; the function/use of the Position Keeper; how to plot a target on the Navigation Map using the realism option of "No map contacts update"; there's a handy "Speed Chart" and "Worksheet" too.

This revised version, released in 2009, can be used with or without my "AoB Calculator". A hand held device that will aid in determining a target's bearing and course when at the Navigation Map. There have been several editions of the Calculator since I made it in 2007 (I see Gutted is using it in his Solution Solver), the latest was reproduced by Jerm138 in a PDF form found HERE.

Along with the Tutorial, you may wish to download the "Practice High Realism Mission" which sets up the same target the Tutorial uses. Being able to follow along using the same target will get you up to speed in figuring out the mechanics of manual targeting, under a controlled environment. It's JSGME compatible, you just add the mission to the game as any other mod.

As always, read the Documentation for all of the above.

Good luck!
Nice ^^^

After I get done with my Real Navigation Mod, I plan to also go back to Manual Targeting and a higher level of realism.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 08:52 PM   #7
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

!
I just have one question? How to do a good estimation of speed? Several times are just guessing and if wrong, load a pre-attacking saved game.

I have read several posts, statimeter is not always a good, exact method in rough seas......and in addition the wrong in game mast height recorded in the recognition manual.

The most logic I have read is to use periscope cross, take time in how long does the ship takes to move from bow to stern and make simple maths but the problem is that "cleverly" US navy forgot to record the ships lengths, (not cool). Plotting? Well, how are you supposed to estimate speed by plotting without updated contacts on the map?

Thanks!
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote