SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Gigalocus
Seaman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 40
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Whats the point in the XVIII?

Basically, I was working my ass off in the Indian Ocean, and was rewarded with a new sub, fantastic I though, happily accepted, and began looking around my new sub ...

And, honestly I was dissapointed.

Problems include:

No Deck Gun

Worse AA Guns

No aft tubes

Lose my expensive upgrades on previous boat

No additional speed (Submerged or surfaced, the loss of the guns don't gain ANY speed? )

Lose expensive torpedoes from previous boat

But worst of all, the range. in my IX, I could easily get to the mission area, and make it back to a refuel point, before heading back out again. In this, despite going at low speeds, I can't even get 3/4 of way to the mission, let alone get back. And my Missions are always 'Patrol off Aden' or 'Sink 10,000 tonnes of Kenya' or 'Sink a task force before it reaches Ceylon' etc. But I can't get there!

So what am I supposed to do? Ignore the mission, or die trying to get there.

From what I've seen, the only advantage is the Walter propolsion system, which although great (28knts submerged! Wow) runs out quickly, and can hradly be used thanks to British destroyers.

About the loss of deck gun and AA, at first I thought it would be good, XXI style, ment to stay submerged, sleek fast! But no ... same old 7knts submerged.

Prehaps it dives quicker and longer ... never really though to check it out, I had NO fuel to spare.

So negatives: I have a weaker boat, with less range, impossible missions, incredibly unprotected, have to wast torpedoes on stationary ships, rubbish speed, loss of some crew and upgrades.

Compared to the positives of: A small time boost of speed, more forward tubes, from most angles its better looking then an IX ...

Right, so whats the point? Am I missing something? Whats so impressive? Is it amost impossible to detect with sonar? (Not that I'll get anywhere near the convoys, I'll be out of fuel at the Adamans) and I like my realism settings, I don't want unlimited fuel.

But why the XVIII? Why include a sub that was never deployed to the Indian, and never produced, to a U-boat that was produced, just not deployed in the Indian. Why not just give me a XXI? It makes ALOT more sense, and it would actually be worth it.

For now, I'm sticking with my IX!
Gigalocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Fincuan
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Suomi, sauna, puukko, perkele
Posts: 2,346
Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default

Compared to IXD2:
+Deeper operating depth
+Faster torpedo reloading
+Six forward tubes
+More torpedos
+Walther propulsion

With this boat you are untouchable when underwater. A few minutes with "Walther" engaged will shake any DD off your tail. Too bad it's not in OpMonsun so I only used it for one patrol(iirc from Surabaya to Aden, had just enough fuel).
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
AntEater
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 936
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The point in the XVIII in SH4 is to add at least something new to a totally daft and unrealistic addon!
The moment I read the first announcement of U Boat missions I lost my faith in Ubisoft Romania.

In reality, the purpose of the XVIII was to make submerged daylight attacks on convoys with the same speed a VII had surfaced.
It was not meant to be a "true submarine", like the XXI.
__________________
AntEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Gorshkov
Commodore
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 604
Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default

Ubisoft Romania should include in UBT add-on some features lacking in base SH4 game like ST radar for example. Anyway they always lack time to finish games due to need to release them in the hot Christmas period. Therefore we still get "unfinished hits" i.e. very good games in concept but without many interesting features!

Yet I don't think that type XVIII sub presence is a key issue here...
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Gigalocus
Seaman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 40
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntEater
In reality, the purpose of the XVIII was to make submerged daylight attacks on convoys with the same speed a VII had surfaced.
It was not meant to be a "true submarine", like the XXI.
So ... in SHIV its impossible, submerged is 7knts (Same as IX) so that meas only with the Walter 'on' but that just runs out quickly, and surely it would be heard?

Besides, I haven't even got enough fuel to get to the convoys!
Gigalocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 8,816
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 53


Default

There are good reasons the Type XVIII was killed and replaced by the similar looking Type XXI.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CATALINA IS. SO . CAL USA
Posts: 10,111
Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalocus
Basically, I was working my ass off in the Indian Ocean, and was rewarded with a new sub, fantastic I though, happily accepted, and began looking around my new sub ...

And, honestly I was dissapointed.

Problems include:

No Deck Gun

Worse AA Guns

No aft tubes

Lose my expensive upgrades on previous boat

No additional speed (Submerged or surfaced, the loss of the guns don't gain ANY speed? )

Lose expensive torpedoes from previous boat

But worst of all, the range. in my IX, I could easily get to the mission area, and make it back to a refuel point, before heading back out again. In this, despite going at low speeds, I can't even get 3/4 of way to the mission, let alone get back. And my Missions are always 'Patrol off Aden' or 'Sink 10,000 tonnes of Kenya' or 'Sink a task force before it reaches Ceylon' etc. But I can't get there!

So what am I supposed to do? Ignore the mission, or die trying to get there.

From what I've seen, the only advantage is the Walter propolsion system, which although great (28knts submerged! Wow) runs out quickly, and can hradly be used thanks to British destroyers.

About the loss of deck gun and AA, at first I thought it would be good, XXI style, ment to stay submerged, sleek fast! But no ... same old 7knts submerged.

Prehaps it dives quicker and longer ... never really though to check it out, I had NO fuel to spare.

So negatives: I have a weaker boat, with less range, impossible missions, incredibly unprotected, have to wast torpedoes on stationary ships, rubbish speed, loss of some crew and upgrades.

Compared to the positives of: A small time boost of speed, more forward tubes, from most angles its better looking then an IX ...

Right, so whats the point? Am I missing something? Whats so impressive? Is it amost impossible to detect with sonar? (Not that I'll get anywhere near the convoys, I'll be out of fuel at the Adamans) and I like my realism settings, I don't want unlimited fuel.

But why the XVIII? Why include a sub that was never deployed to the Indian, and never produced, to a U-boat that was produced, just not deployed in the Indian. Why not just give me a XXI? It makes ALOT more sense, and it would actually be worth it.

For now, I'm sticking with my IX!

Hi Gigalocus

It seems everyone has lost the point of your post.

It's unrealistic but, included for the Arcade players.

For realism stay with your IX boat if you can.

__________________
RIP FIREWALL

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Ishmael
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Morro Bay, Ca.
Posts: 659
Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default

I've run the XVIII for a couple of patrols. while not at 100% realism, I only use auto-fire control and no duds. Every other realism option for fuel, sensors, reapair and crew are all set to realistic.

By traveling at 1/3 speed surfaced, I was able to cruise to the south Australian coast, accomplish my mission and return to Singapore unharmed with some minimal fuel left. I would only go to standard, full or flank if stalking a contact. While the AA is deficient, the faster dive time along with the radar detection gives me plenty of time to ge to PD and stay undetected.

I really only use the Waterdrive to sprint below the layer or overhaul a target ahead. In both patrols, I returned with fuel left here as well.
__________________
Call me Ishmael...

http://www.boilingfrogspost.com
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
pythos
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere over there
Posts: 834
Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Default

I think the OP is absolutely lacking in the history of the german U boats.

The type XVIII is inculded as a "What if" choice.

This boat would have been a true threat if the problems with the Walter drive were worked out. (people can argue they would have been an equal threat to both side of the coin)

It is not designed to operate on the surface. In case you did not know U-boats were sitting ducks for the RAF and coastal command later in the war when they were on the surface day OR NIGHT.

I don't understand why the simulation of the Type XVIII lacks a snorkel cause it is my understanding all boats of period of the war had the device.

The type XXI is a direct decendent of the type XVIII of which two were being built, but were converted on the slips over to the Type XXI form.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Effigy
Gunner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 100
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I eventually grew to like this ship after spitefully turning down the original offer to hop in it. Later on, nearer the end of the war, command gave me a second chance at taking the boat. More of an ultimatum, really. It was either take the ship or it would be the end of my career; so I opted to bite the bullet and give my crew another handful of patrols.

Originally sore that there were no aft tubes nor deck gun, I actually ended up enjoying my final patrols in it quite a bit.
Effigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
Frame57
Sea Lord
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 1300 feet on the crapper
Posts: 1,860
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default

I miss having deck guns. I like to use them when the weather is fowl and visibility is nill. That is when I have fun taking out stuff. But the walther boat is neat too. With the extra tubes up front and the ability to move fast with the turbines engaged. I have fun decimating task forces. They just do not know what hit em. Yep! But remember to turn off the turbine or it just becomes another pokey Diesel boat.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Gigalocus
Seaman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 40
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael
I've run the XVIII for a couple of patrols. while not at 100% realism, I only use auto-fire control and no duds. Every other realism option for fuel, sensors, reapair and crew are all set to realistic.

By traveling at 1/3 speed surfaced, I was able to cruise to the south Australian coast, accomplish my mission and return to Singapore unharmed with some minimal fuel left. I would only go to standard, full or flank if stalking a contact. While the AA is deficient, the faster dive time along with the radar detection gives me plenty of time to ge to PD and stay undetected.

I really only use the Waterdrive to sprint below the layer or overhaul a target ahead. In both patrols, I returned with fuel left here as well.
I'm operating from Penang, and my missions are always off Africa or Aden/Iran.

I simply CANNOT get there, I've actually had to turn on Unlimited batteries just so I can get there! (Does having unlimited fuel give unlimited Walter turbine?)

Is there a Snorkel MOD?

The point is, I'm sure the XVIII has advantages, (Just noticed reload speed ... wow!) but the lack of fuel ... makes it pointless!

You can't I just have a XXI? Thats actually ueful and a whole lot different to the XI, from what I've seen, the XVIII is just a more 'wared' upversion of the IX, but completly lacks everything else needed. (IE its good at forward attack, but sucks at retreating, submerging, defence etc)
Gigalocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
Gorshkov
Commodore
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 604
Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalocus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael
I've run the XVIII for a couple of patrols. while not at 100% realism, I only use auto-fire control and no duds. Every other realism option for fuel, sensors, reapair and crew are all set to realistic.

By traveling at 1/3 speed surfaced, I was able to cruise to the south Australian coast, accomplish my mission and return to Singapore unharmed with some minimal fuel left. I would only go to standard, full or flank if stalking a contact. While the AA is deficient, the faster dive time along with the radar detection gives me plenty of time to ge to PD and stay undetected.

I really only use the Waterdrive to sprint below the layer or overhaul a target ahead. In both patrols, I returned with fuel left here as well.
I'm operating from Penang, and my missions are always off Africa or Aden/Iran.

I simply CANNOT get there, I've actually had to turn on Unlimited batteries just so I can get there! (Does having unlimited fuel give unlimited Walter turbine?)
If you cannot but others can you simply do something wrong with fuel management. I suppose you travel into assigned patrol area too fast.

Last edited by Gorshkov; 07-26-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Gigalocus
Seaman
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 40
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov
[If you cannot but others can you simply does something wrong with fuel management. I suppose you travel into assigned patrol area too fast.
Nope, no matter what speed I go at, even at 1kts, I can't get to an axis base.
Gigalocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Gangrene
Bosun
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fremont, Ohio
Posts: 65
Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0
Default

Another thing, you can recharge your batteries without losing speed. I tried stopping the recharge and it did not effect my speed while on diesel.
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2018 Subsim