SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-14, 02:39 PM   #1006
walter_solito
Watch

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default How to correctly set SHIII+GWX3+SHC3.2?

Hi mates!

I think to have understand how to add SHC to my desired configuration in the title:

1) Install SHIII 1.4b
2) Install GWX3.0
3) Enable needed mods by JSGME
4) Install SHC3.2
5)Run the utility that make all files changes for a correct installation.

Did is it correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
walter_solito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 08:08 AM   #1007
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_solito View Post
Hi mates!

I think to have understand how to add SHC to my desired configuration in the title:

1) Install SHIII 1.4b
2) Install GWX3.0
3) Enable needed mods by JSGME
4) Install SHC3.2
5)Run the utility that make all files changes for a correct installation.

Did is it correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
http://test.thegreywolves.com/support/

The above is for XP but the general procedure is the same.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 08:37 AM   #1008
walter_solito
Watch

Hi!

I apologize but maybe I make me misunderstand:

Actually I have SHIII+GWX 3.0 ready and with all mods included in JSGME enabled , but I like to add SHC (Silent Hunter Commander) in it's latest 3.2 version....

I need the confirm that I understand right what I read in the forums:

Starting from my installation , add SHC 3.2 and after run the file fixer....

Can you confirm my last sentence or list me the correct installation steps?

Thanks again for your replies mates!
Old 08-21-14, 08:44 AM   #1009
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The newer version of SH3Commander will overwrite the older version when you install it.

Old 08-21-14, 01:01 PM   #1010
walter_solito
Watch

Roger that now mate!

Thanks for your support!
Old 08-21-14, 01:12 PM   #1011
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Your welcome...any time

Old 08-22-14, 09:59 AM   #1012
walter_solito
Watch

Default Fatigue models

Hi mates!

I managed to successfully install in my Imax Mini 3600 with W7 home SH_III + GWX 3.0 GOLD (with 16 km atmosfere and Enhanced effect JSGME activated) + SH3C and set all desired settings.....

But I haven't find information about how the fatigue models available works (well the stock SH and the NO fatigue should be self explaining)....

Can you enlight me about how the various different settings should work?

I don't like to be overstressed with crew management becaming impossible to solve but even the no fatigue have it's drowbacks with a real management....

BTW I don't understand why should be the Kaleu to look at the crew fatigue management when in RL such operations is in the crew chief hands that have this specific management duty....I believe that fatigue should be instead related to it's experience level....
Old 08-22-14, 11:38 AM   #1013
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_solito View Post
Hi mates!

I managed to successfully install in my Imax Mini 3600 with W7 home SH_III + GWX 3.0 GOLD (with 16 km atmosfere and Enhanced effect JSGME activated) + SH3C and set all desired settings.....

But I haven't find information about how the fatigue models available works (well the stock SH and the NO fatigue should be self explaining)....

Can you enlight me about how the various different settings should work?

I don't like to be overstressed with crew management becaming impossible to solve but even the no fatigue have it's drowbacks with a real management....

BTW I don't understand why should be the Kaleu to look at the crew fatigue management when in RL such operations is in the crew chief hands that have this specific management duty....I believe that fatigue should be instead related to it's experience level....
Walter, IMO SH4 has the best crew management model. Most of the time, it's automatic. Three rotating watches. But for action, the crew goes to Battle Stations. And now the skipper has to get involved, because if the crew stays at Battle Stations too long, they'll be exhausted. And if you stand them down under combat conditions, you lose effectiveness, which can be fatal.

I have tried to figure out a way to duplicate this in SH3. But AFAIK there is no way to set different fatigue factors, for example, in combat and non-combat conditions.

Here's a source that can give you some ideas of what the various factors in the fatigue model do: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=86710

And here are some POVs regarding the various models available in SH3Cmdr: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159822
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 12:41 PM   #1014
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
BTW I don't understand why should be the Kaleu to look at the crew fatigue management when in RL such operations is in the crew chief hands that have this specific management duty
This is why I use the No Fatigue option. The Kaleu has enough to think about, managing crew rest rotations should not be one of them.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 06:57 PM   #1015
walter_solito
Watch

Thanks for your replies mates!

The POV tread is really good!

It convince me that the no fatigue is a good choice to avoid micromanagement....but also the 8 hours is a good compromize to random the crew efficency and experience for the actual 'on station'....

Can anyway enlight me on what the Rub and Rub 1xTC mean?

Thanks in advance for your next help!
Old 08-22-14, 09:23 PM   #1016
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Real U-Boat utilized a completely different concept than any other variant. Beery, the mod's designer, thought it would be interesting to model overall fatigue and war-weariness rather than the specific day-to-day kind. With RUB there is no recovery at all. The men fatigue much more slowly, but you have to be careful to check them and rotate them often or part of the crew will be fine while another part will be exhausted and unable to recover.

The 1x variant is for people who do whole patrols in real time.
Old 08-23-14, 08:06 AM   #1017
walter_solito
Watch

Thanks for the reply about Rub , is an interesting fatigue model!

It is useful to show how at the end of a long mission , with deceasing rations quality , the crew became tired even if unengaged....

Need to test this option in the future....
Old 08-29-14, 04:46 AM   #1018
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58

I like the GWX 8 hour model. It provides a decent amount of gameplay content, another variable to consider. And I actually quite enjoy the mini-game of shuffling the crew around With practice comes a method, and, IMO anyway, there is a trade-off between the ends of the spectrum: with no fatigue, the Kaleun avoids micromanagement, which is realistic, but with the 8 hour model fatigue is very much a factor, which provides its own realism. 'Tis just a question of which you prefer. That said, having read Sailor Steve's description of the Rub model I may give that a go, for variety as much as anything
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 10:49 AM   #1019
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I agree about the 8-hour version, and I actually used it for a long time before I switched to No Fatigue. What forced me to finally make the change was the Type II, which I love. Even though it's "8 hours", when there's rough weather (and there seems to be a lot of that in SH3) I found myself rotating the crew every two hours just to keep them useful. In a Type II there simply aren't enough crew to do that, and the extreme lack of efficiency became frustrating. I do like rotating my crew, but not under those conditions.

I've been told that after a few patrols the crew become so hardy that they no longer require rotation at all, but I've never played a crew for that long.
Old 08-30-14, 07:04 AM   #1020
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58

Yeah that's a valid point. Key to making my approach to fatigue work is that I always start the war in a type VII, which is large enough to accomodate 2 separate watches, each of which is large enough to fill every on-duty slot onboard, while the other rests. Indeed, each watch also has a handfull of spare crew, whom I use as the kernel of each watch's repair gang. When on-duty, these guys lurk in whichever of the engine rooms is unused at that point in time. The Type II simply isn't big enough to use this approach, making the No Fatigue model the sensible choice. As for the Type IX, I've never got far enough into a career to use one - what with my habit of reinstalling each time a cool new mod came out - but I assume it would be big enough to use my Type VII method. If not, then it would be No Fatigue all the way
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh3 commander