SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-08, 07:45 AM   #1051
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbluesky
BTW and a little OT, I am still dreamning with the WAC3.0 sea seeing through the scope of OLC Special and GWX, I wonder if HanSolo would release and standalone version of its sea/environment...
Not that OT - the new WAC env is partly based on OLCE.
http://hansolo78.2page.de/versions_99083598.html
Though I must say, hansolo has done some amazing work on it!

The nice wave effect in WAC is achieved easily if you want to DIY. Just open the OLCE2 scene.dat in S3D and find a value called choppywave. By default it is set to 0.03. Change it to 0.04, or even 0.05, and see the difference.

This is a setting I played around with for OLCE2, but I left it at 0.03 in the end because (1) it causes some graphical artifacts in some weather conditions and (2) it affects wave heights and shapes, which in turn affects surface physics and sinking physics in GWX. But when I say it "affects" things, its not the same as saying it "breaks" things, i.e. everything will basically still work if you change choppywave, so try it out.
Thank you very much. Sure I'll try!, although I guess he has changed also some textures and colors, in order to make the sea so realistic (even more than in OLEC, IMHO, which is already a very nice/real env) as seen in his mod (?).

BTW, in my last post I did a typo:

"I don't like the lack of two levels of zoom, but I like to see the sea waves at full scale, and not a flat sea, so I think I'll try to use the Special version if I can (instead of can't ) get rid of the dark look. "
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 08:01 AM   #1052
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbluesky
Thank you very much. Sure I'll try!, although I guess he has changed also some textures and colors, in order to make the sea so realistic (even more than in OLEC, IMHO, which is already a very nice/real env) as seen in his mod (?).

BTW, in my last post I did a typo:

"I don't like the lack of two levels of zoom, but I like to see the sea waves at full scale, and not a flat sea, so I think I'll try to use the Special version if I can (instead of can't ) get rid of the dark look. "
Yes, han did a great deal of work on it. The WAC3 sunlit daytime environment sometimes looks much better than OLCE2 even to me. I get a bit jealous!

Regarding light/dark:
Some things in OLC GUI Special are darkened simply by using darker TGA images for them. Others are darkened by adding a semi-transparent black layer over the top. I won't go into the reasons why but these were not whimsical decisions. Anyway, the simplest way to brighten things up would be to go through every TGA in the mod and:
1) Leave "undarkened" images alone.
2) Double the brightness of the darkened images.
3) Make all the semi-transparent black layers into fully-transparent layers.

That should do the trick.
But if you like the ubermod and stick with it, I'd wager that sooner or later you'll want that dark GUI back.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 12:21 PM   #1053
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Thanks for your answer. Yes really WAC3.0 env is really good

Thanks for your hints. I'll try them too, and maybe yes, you have reason, maybe I'll come back to the darkened one, but for the moment I'll go with a lightener version.

Tx!
Old 09-02-08, 12:41 PM   #1054
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

I forgot something - the fonts. After changing the TGA's you'll still have dark fonts on the GUI. It shouldn't make much difference though - I mean they should still be quite readable.
Old 09-02-08, 02:04 PM   #1055
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Tx, yes I guess I could let them as they are.

I was now trying to "Make all the semi-transparent black layers into fully-transparent layers.", in Photoshop (I don't use it normally, I use PhotoImpact). Found some problems finding where I can change the transparence value for the Alpha channel (or I should look for layer transparence? ). I change the alpha channel opacity but nothing...I keep trying

Thanks for all your advices and kindness.

EDIT: Ok, I have found that is not the opacity control which I should change; it is the grey color of the alpha channel, so if all is black, all is 100% transparent!

Last edited by Darkbluesky; 09-02-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 05:06 PM   #1056
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Hello OLC.

I just wanna ask you if the GUI Special displays radar contacts too.
While on surface just out of the harbor i saw a red line (on the navigation map) pointing to the harbor, the same thing we get
when the Uboat is submerged and the sonarman detects an enemy ship.
Are radar contacts displayed with a red line - no matter if they
represent an enemy or friendly ship?
Cause i don't think an enemy ship was anchored at the harbor of Lorient
though this would have fun.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 06:07 PM   #1057
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Hello OLC.

While on surface just out of the harbor i saw a red line (on the navigation map) pointing to the harbor, the same thing we get
A red line does not mean it's an enemy ship, regardless of whether its a radar or sonar contact. A red line means it's warship and a black line means it's a merchant.

What you spotted was a friendly warship.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 09-04-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 01:52 AM   #1058
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

hi OLC, isn't YOU who is responsible for the great scene in WAC3? in the WAC-manual i read, that HanSolo used OLCE, too, for WAC3.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 02:50 AM   #1059
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
hi OLC, isn't YOU who is responsible for the great scene in WAC3? in the WAC-manual i read, that HanSolo used OLCE, too, for WAC3.
er, yes and no - as mentioned above
Hansolo (after asking permission) took OLCE1 and parts of OLCE2 and used them when he created the WAC3 environment. But from the screens it looks to me like he only used some parts. Much of the WAC3 env is his own work.
Old 09-05-08, 02:59 AM   #1060
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

....i took the /env- and the /misc-folder and the scene.dat from WAC3 and imported them into GWX. looked very nice - same scene as in WAC3 now for GWX. but the nights are not as dark as in OLCE2. that's the reason, why i turn back to OLCE2.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 03:40 AM   #1061
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Hello OLC.

A red line does not mean it's an enemy ship, regardless of whether its a radar or sonar contact. A red line means it's warship and a black line means it's a merchant.

What you spotted was a friendly warship.
Of course, you're right!
Sorry.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 10:05 AM   #1062
MRV
Frogman

Downloads: 88

real amazing job on the environment.

Anyways, one problem remains for me: my sun is just a white circle in the sky without any "blinding" or "fake HDR" effect like the stock one or the one seen at your screenshot.

I use the GWX version of the mod with enhanced particle effects and reflections.

my apologies if someone has posted a similar problem before, but the search function just refuses to accept the word "sun" as long enough to search for it. lol
MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 11:39 AM   #1063
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV

Anyways, one problem remains for me: my sun is just a white circle in the sky without any "blinding" or "fake HDR" effect like the stock one or the one seen at your screenshot.

I use the GWX version of the mod with enhanced particle effects and reflections.

my apologies if someone has posted a similar problem before, but the search function just refuses to accept the word "sun" as long enough to search for it. lol
Did you try the sun fixes listed in the toubleshotting section of post #1?
Old 09-06-08, 07:32 PM   #1064
MRV
Frogman

Downloads: 88

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV

Unfortunately yes, my Catalyst (I use an ATI X1950 pro) is the latest available and it makes no difference having AA and AF turned off or both at 4x (which is my personal standard setting)
MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 04:44 AM   #1065
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV

Unfortunately yes, my Catalyst (I use an ATI X1950 pro) is the latest available and it makes no difference having AA and AF turned off or both at 4x (which is my personal standard setting)
OK, try this (enable it over the top of OLCE2) and see if it fixes the problem...
http://rapidshare.com/files/14330636...LCU242.7z.html