SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-08, 02:46 AM   #961
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Exactly, mate.

@ OLC :

Thanks.
I'm in agreement with Pisces - that line is just the "edge" of the mountain/hill.
Sorry but I'm a bit confused mate - are you saying this is something that needs fixing??
Old 07-25-08, 03:57 AM   #962
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

im my eyes, that is a mountain and there is nothing to be fixed. LOL.

currently I try to make a screenshot. S_H_I_T, how does that work with the screen-resolution fix?

I will post that screenie soon.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 07:53 AM   #963
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
are you saying this is something that needs fixing??
??
Don't know at all, mate, it's up to you (sweetening edges of mountains and hills may or may NOT be doable ! I absolutely do not know...).
Old 07-26-08, 06:26 PM   #964
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

sorry, olc, i was wrong. these phenomenons (colour-contours) appeared both, with and without OLCE2. the solution was to change the gamma value, so that the night now is really very dark und the contours became almost invisible.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 02:17 PM   #965
Effigy
Gunner

Downloads: 0

Hi OLC, I have a quick question.

Is there any way to make it so that when I hit NumberPad . (to remove the UI for screenshots), it will also hide the ship ID, any loose torpedoes under it, and when I'm not targeting anything or have any loose torpedoes, the little dot placeholder that appears there when no ship ID is available?

This is a pic with the UI disabled, and how I can still see the ship info (or torpedoes/dot when those are currently in view).

I've been digging through cfg files for hours trying to remedy this myself so I don't have to nitpick just for the sake of a screenshot or video ... but I'm at a complete loss on what I need to alter to make that happen.

I dug through menu_1024_768.ini, and I think (but am probably way off) that I'd have to change something in there to make this work. I keep seeing stuff like:

Display=0;No stretch

And am wondering if I have to set Display to some variable to make those elements disappear when hitting the UI hide. If I'm on the right track, I still have no idea what these elements are inside that file. Any idea how I'd adjust this to get what I'm looking for?

Thank you.
Effigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 03:09 PM   #966
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy
Hi OLC, I have a quick question.

Is there any way to make it so that when I hit NumberPad . (to remove the UI for screenshots), it will also hide the ship ID, any loose torpedoes under it, and when I'm not targeting anything or have any loose torpedoes, the little dot placeholder that appears there when no ship ID is available?

This is a pic with the UI disabled, and how I can still see the ship info (or torpedoes/dot when those are currently in view).

I've been digging through cfg files for hours trying to remedy this myself so I don't have to nitpick just for the sake of a screenshot or video ... but I'm at a complete loss on what I need to alter to make that happen.

I dug through menu_1024_768.ini, and I think (but am probably way off) that I'd have to change something in there to make this work. I keep seeing stuff like:

Display=0;No stretch

And am wondering if I have to set Display to some variable to make those elements disappear when hitting the UI hide. If I'm on the right track, I still have no idea what these elements are inside that file. Any idea how I'd adjust this to get what I'm looking for?

Thank you.
I'm sorry to say that yes, you're quite a long way off track.
The numpad dot key will remove a menu group on page 0x3F000000 and all of it's descendants (basically, it will remove almost everything starting with "0x3F"). But everything on the periscope screen is a child of the periscpe page (0x26000000 from memory) and will -at best - cease to function properly if you try to make it a child of the 0x3F000000 page.
The recognition manual is on another menu page all of it's own.
In other words, I really don't think there is any way at all of doing what you want... at least, certainly not with the numpad dot key. You could undertake some serious re-arrangement of the periscope page and try to make some things "slide" on and off the screen depending on where you put the mouse... or even try to re-use one of the unused notepad pages to act as an invisibility switch (maybe) ... but either it'd be a lot of work and I can't imagine the end result being worth it, even if it works.
Old 07-27-08, 03:28 PM   #967
Effigy
Gunner

Quote:
The numpad dot key will remove a menu group on page 0x3F000000 and all of it's descendants (basically, it will remove almost everything starting with "0x3F"). But everything on the periscope screen is a child of the periscpe page (0x26000000 from memory) and will -at best - cease to function properly if you try to make it a child of the 0x3F000000 page.
In other words, I really don't think there is any way at all of doing what you want... at least, certainly not with the numpad dot key. You could undertake some serious re-arrangement of the periscope page and try to make some things "slide" on and off the screen depending on where you put the mouse... but it'd be a lot of work and I can't imagine the end result being anything like what you're after.
Thanks for the quick reply OLC! I knew I had to be fishing in the wrong spot, lol. Glad to get confirmation of it so I can quit obsessing over that file now. Appreciate the explanation of how the numpad hide key works, and the nesting effect of the pages descendants. I'm surprised with my lack of modding knowledge, I'm actually following what you're saying here, hehe. Too bad it isn't likely to achieve the effect, ah well.

Thinking about it in a different way then, would I be able to compromise and remove/hide (permanently, non dependant on any key press) those visual elements from just the observation periscope? (To use for screenies/video) And leave everything intact on the UZO and Attk scope? I'm not sure if there are separate pages for obs scope, uzo, and attk scope, or if it's all nested under a sole periscope page.

If the above is possible, can you give me direction on where I go to see this page? I have Silent 3ditor, and have played around with it a bit, looking at files and trying to understand what I'm seeing. But I wouldn't know where to begin as far as which file to open to even get there first.

Thanks again for the reply, I love your mod. Especially the UI. Everything fits so well graphically. If I was going to throw around a wild guess I'd say you have a solid graphic design background. Very aesthetically pleasing layout and graphics, imo.
Old 07-27-08, 04:10 PM   #968
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy
Quote:
In other words, I really don't think there is any way at all of doing what you want... at least, certainly not with the numpad dot key. You could undertake some serious re-arrangement of the periscope page and try to make some things "slide" on and off the screen depending on where you put the mouse... but it'd be a lot of work and I can't imagine the end result being anything like what you're after.
Thanks for the quick reply OLC! I knew I had to be fishing in the wrong spot, lol. Glad to get confirmation of it so I can quit obsessing over that file now. Appreciate the explanation of how the numpad hide key works, and the nesting effect of the pages descendants. I'm surprised with my lack of modding knowledge, I'm actually following what you're saying here, hehe. Too bad it isn't likely to achieve the effect, ah well.

Thinking about it in a different way then, would I be able to compromise and remove/hide (permanently, non dependant on any key press) those visual elements from just the observation periscope? (To use for screenies/video) And leave everything intact on the UZO and Attk scope? I'm not sure if there are separate pages for obs scope, uzo, and attk scope, or if it's all nested under a sole periscope page.

If the above is possible, can you give me direction on where I go to see this page? I have Silent 3ditor, and have played around with it a bit, looking at files and trying to understand what I'm seeing. But I wouldn't know where to begin as far as which file to open to even get there first.

Thanks again for the reply, I love your mod. Especially the UI. Everything fits so well graphically. If I was going to throw around a wild guess I'd say you have a solid graphic design background. Very aesthetically pleasing layout and graphics, imo.
Thaks but lol, no, I don't have any real graphic design experience at all. All of the graphics in the GUI are hacked and chopped and superglued bits of other people's graphic work (used with their permission). I'll take credit for the layout and functionality of the GUI, but none of the artwork is mine.

Anyway, yes, you could permanently do away with those parts of the obs scope if you like. To get rid of the torpedo icons, move the menu group called "Launched Torp" (ID is 0x2B050000) off the screen by setting Pos to something like Pos=2000,2000,0,0. To get rid of the ship name, find the entry called... I think it's "Ship Val" (0x2B0D0051) or it might be just "Ship" (0x2B0D0041) ... and do the same thing to it's Pos. Anything else you want to get rid of, same procedure. The Pos line specifies X/Y co-ordinates and width and height (all measured in pixels - assuming 1024x768 resolution) so use it to move things off the screen to get rid of them without really getting rid of them. That way you won't break anything.

HTH
OLC

Edit:
In case it wasn't implied well enough by my answer, yes there are seperate pages for the UZO, obs scope, periscope, etc. 0x2B is the obs scope.
Old 07-27-08, 07:43 PM   #969
Effigy
Gunner

Quote:
Thaks but lol, no, I don't have any real graphic design experience at all. All of the graphics in the GUI are hacked and chopped and superglued bits of other people's graphic work (used with their permission). I'll take credit for the layout and functionality of the GUI, but none of the artwork is mine.

Anyway, yes, you could permanently do away with those parts of the obs scope if you like. To get rid of the torpedo icons, move the menu group called "Launched Torp" (ID is 0x2B050000) off the screen by setting Pos to something like Pos=2000,2000,0,0. To get rid of the ship name, find the entry called... I think it's "Ship Val" (0x2B0D0051) or it might be just "Ship" (0x2B0D0041) ... and do the same thing to it's Pos. Anything else you want to get rid of, same procedure. The Pos line specifies X/Y co-ordinates and width and height (all measured in pixels - assuming 1024x768 resolution) so use it to move things off the screen to get rid of them without really getting rid of them. That way you won't break anything.

HTH
OLC

Edit:
In case it wasn't implied well enough by my answer, yes there are seperate pages for the UZO, obs scope, periscope, etc. 0x2B is the obs scope.
Cheers OLC. If it aint broke don't fix it. Much better idea than just removing em altogether. That way, when I'm tired of playing psuedo-machinima producer, I can just pull em back into position. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 07-30-08, 04:33 AM   #970
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

i havent played SH3 for about a month but i remember i had a question and im not really sure if i got an answer to it.

i currently have OLC GUI 1.2.6 installed. i also wanna install this uber mod as well but the only part i dont want is the revamped map contacts, id prefer keepin them as is.

so how do i install this mod minus the map contacts part?

thanks in advance
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 06:43 AM   #971
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

For the first time I decided to try this mod too. Outstanding graphics.. Applause!

Will be using OLCE 2 alone, since GUI special I found.. a little.. lets say outlandish for myself so far

Don't know if somebody mentioned earlier. When looking through binoculors, uzo, etc. and draging on to the wiew flag panel, the bearing indicator can be seen through the paper
Old 07-30-08, 06:43 PM   #972
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact
When looking through binoculors, uzo, etc. and draging on to the wiew flag panel, the bearing indicator can be seen through the paper
Dragging what onto the view flag panel? There's nothing draggable in the binocular and uzo views. There's no "paper" either. There was in previous versions... if that's what you're talking about, why not download and try the latest version.
Old 07-30-08, 07:35 PM   #973
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

@ Contact : The best thing to do when you notice something that is a bug in your opinion is always to take a screenshot !

Old 07-30-08, 07:49 PM   #974
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

hello olc,

dunno if u maybe missed my post. id imagine it wont be to hard to make the adjustment im on about i just dont know what files to change thats all.
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 08:30 PM   #975
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig
i havent played SH3 for about a month but i remember i had a question and im not really sure if i got an answer to it.

i currently have OLC GUI 1.2.6 installed. i also wanna install this uber mod as well but the only part i dont want is the revamped map contacts, id prefer keepin them as is.

so how do i install this mod minus the map contacts part?

thanks in advance
Sounds like the same question you asked in post 883.
I gave a short answer in post 884, followed by help from asanovic in post 888, and in post 891 you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig
it ok ive got things sorted now, thanks for help.
Maybe you should ease off the pot a bit.