SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-16, 06:49 PM   #16
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPer530 View Post
Thanks, but my firing solution is good (if the word "good" makes any sense here). Visibility is perfect, I can see my torpedos running all the way up to his position, and, with all due respect, firing at a sitting target and then applying an offset angle... I might be green, but I'm not that incompetent

The thing I'm not absolutely sure about is the last few yards. When the torpedo crosses his path, it's hard to tell through the periscope whether the torpedo reaches the interception point a bit too early or a bit too late - or exactly at the right time but it bounces off his hull???
And that is why I would love to have the free cam. Unfortunately I don't get any reply to that question. Is it not possible to enable it in a running patrol?

To be honest, the fact that I'm apparently not able to hit this guy, even after loading and trying for at least 50 times is a bit of a cooler. Can someone please tell me that they could ACTUALLY not hit a destroyer in perfect weather conditions, so that I get at least that feeling of realism back?
Lukterran's suggestion will help you nail down just where/how your torps are missing. Presumably nobody can tell you how to activate free cam because it can't be done
Old 05-21-16, 06:44 AM   #17
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

While I cannot confirm that the following is going to work because of lacking a working SH4 install on my pc at the moment. It at least should provide some pointers of where to look for the setting.

The SH4 savegames and patrol settings are stored into a SH4 folder in your (Windows) user account documents folder. I found the first occurance in the file GameplaySettings.cfg inside:

Documents\SH4\data\cfg

MAKE SURE you keep a backup of these folders, as things might go horribly wrong if you change it the wrong way!

But that one is probably the baseline settings, as found in the realism option in the office. As each patrol save found in the \Savegames folder has 2 more versions of this file. One in the root of the folder of each save (named something like 0000000hexadecimalnumber) , and one in a deeper folder named UPCInitial. In each of these files you can find the line:

NoExternalView=true

Logic suggest changing this line to be "false" would solve the problem. After restarting the game and loading the savegame.

I don't know which file is the leading one for a loaded savegame. So I suggest to change that line the same in all files you can find there. Again, make sure you have a backup of the Documents\SH4 folder in case things go wrong.

P.S. It might be usefull to change the Event camera option too. That gives insight as to how close or deep the torpedo misses the target. That is, if it comes sufficiently near. The event won't trigger if the game thinks it is a clear miss.

Last edited by Pisces; 05-21-16 at 07:05 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote