SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-20, 12:08 PM   #1
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0
Default Help! Stock game. Voices disappeared?

I'm 2 missions in to the campaign and for some reason there's no response, voice wise when I give commands like slow speed ahead etc. If I ask for depth under keel, I get the ping but no verbal info. This didn't happen first mission. The dialog still pops up in text bottom right but no actual voice.

If I click on a 3D character with mouse they'll talk.
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:40 PM   #2
Compans57
Officer

Never mind...working now.
Old 04-20-20, 03:57 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I advice you to always make separate slots when saving the game, not overwriting saves, this will avoid most glitches like the above.
Also always make a separate save before you leave the bunker so you have something to recover from - which in the stock game will IMO inevitably happen.

Have fun!
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 11:15 PM   #4
Compans57
Officer

Thanks Xenon...good advice.
Old 04-21-20, 06:30 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Oh and I forgot: If you can don't ALT-TAB out of the game, SH5 doesn't like it and your crew is not there where it should, not responding to commands etc. Also better not save when enemies are nearby, this can mess-up your campaign.

Also another finesse: When you are in your patrol area ordered by BDU via radio, then you must complete the mission and leave the area to get credits for success. If you save game in your patrol area the timer is reset and you must patrol again for the required time.
Old 04-21-20, 09:52 AM   #6
Compans57
Officer

There's some odd stuff in there. I found that if you go to silent running ('Z') you can't secure from it from the bridge. You have to be below decks.

The whole scuttling about in 3D is annoying. I miss the 'go to station' buttons. I get 'aircraft spotted!' and get down the ladder like a 90 year old. Then I have to walk back and forwards a bit until the attack periscope is highlighted etc.

I've seen there's a mod for going back to some older SH3 buttons.

It seems to me the developers struck an awkward note between this being a hardcore naval sim and some Steampunk roleplaying game. I could do without all the drama with the XO etc!
Old 04-21-20, 10:20 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

You give me a good reason to accelerate my mod release, I will see what I can do...

XS
Old 04-21-20, 12:10 PM   #8
Compans57
Officer

What it should be is SH3 with better graphics.

I don't know if any mods have managed to change all this. The campaign so far seems too gamey for me. There are mission objectives such as sink X amount of shipping and at least one aircraft carrier. I can't imagine any orders like this in WWII.

SH3 was great in just go and patrol this area (map references seem to have disappeared too) and do your best.

Is there a good guide to crew management? How do all the crew upgrade buttons work and how does this all affect morale?

How do you repair damage? It's all unexplained.

Thus far (I'm still in 1939) the British warships seem an ineffective lot. I've sneaked close to Harwich, sunk a merchant and the nearby warship did nothing to investigate. SH3's enemy did a good job of keeping you on your toes. Also aircraft seem not to do much offensive wise. Perhaps this changes later on?
Old 04-21-20, 04:40 PM   #9
Taxman100
Nub

Downloads: 0

When the planes fly over in the stock game, they are only Spitfires, and nothing ever happens.

I just ignore them.

You can almost ignore the destroyers as well. I've sunk a destroyer, and the others guarding the port don't even change their patrol pattern to any great degree.
Taxman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 04:45 PM   #10
Compans57
Officer

So you never get depth charged? SH3's destroyers somtimes felt like disturbing a nest of angry bees....which is how it should be.

Has this been fixed by mods?

What does Twos actually change in the game?

Last edited by Compans57; 04-21-20 at 09:27 PM.