SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-12, 08:35 AM   #271
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublous_Haze View Post
Hello guys,

Recenty I switched from Win XP to Win 7 64bit

Instantly I spotted some sound problems with Sh3+GWX running on Win7:

1. The sound of diesel engines dissapears after pausing the game. The sound then can be revived, only by switching speeds or sometimes changing stations. Yesterday I could even hear aircraft flying above while I was at 60 meters depth ?

2. All sounds in GWX seems to be much quiter in Win7, than it was in WinXp.

Running onboard Realtek ALC888 soundcard with the latest drivers from Realtek website for Vista/Win7 32/64 bit

How can I solve these problems ? The first one gives the most headache at the moment
are you running sh3 in 'COMPATABILITY MODE.' ?
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 05:38 PM   #272
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Hello guys,

Recenty I switched from Win XP to Win 7 64bit

2. All sounds in GWX seems to be much quiter in Win7, than it was in WinXp.

Win7 introduced a sound mixer that allows individual programs to have their own volume level slider, instead of all combined in a single master volume slider. I suggest you check the level of the mixer (speaker icon in taskbar) while SH3 is running. So you may need to alt-tab out of it.
Old 04-25-12, 11:12 AM   #273
zygoma
Loader

Downloads: 66

At the risk of being a "Me-too" post, my patch/modify procedure has failed, and I can't interpret the failure note from Bill Gates....
My trusty Compaq CQ-60 laptop is running Windoze 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. I've still got my disk from when I bought it in 2006, and it's the same disk that runs fine on my XP desktop.
I ran the procedure from the forums referencing uninstalling SH3, using the StarForce removal tool, re-installing without running the game, patching with the 5 files mentioned.
The game runs the opening screen and movie, then the whole bar graph that says it's loading. Then I get a panel that says something similar to "Silent Hunter has failed..." and the following details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: sh3.exe
Application Version: 1.4.0.1
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: StackHash_cda8
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0b36ab6b
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: cda8
Additional Information 2: cda8483c32154a9f3a892cb29fc2293d
Additional Information 3: 7e37
Additional Information 4: 7e37e074d90e8533915c18ce725512e6

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
This might as well be Sanskrit or Aramaic to me. Does it make sense to anyone here?

FWIW, I've gone ahead and ordered the patched/SF-free SH3/SH2 combo from Amazon through our forum (hopefully the $1.50 premium will help out, in addition to the modest donation I put in last month).

I thought I was better at computers than I apparently am.
<sigh>
Thanks yet again,
-- Zygoma --

7/5 of adults don't understand fractions.

I'm told that two things can be reliably predicted to fail with increasing age. The first is memory. I can't remember the other right now.
zygoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 11:36 AM   #274
Raptor
Weps

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Fault Module Name: StackHash_cda8

Pick one:

Old 04-25-12, 12:19 PM   #275
zygoma
Loader

Downloads: 66

Raptor --
LOL! I love the panels!
When I first saw "stack hash", I harked back to my public safety days and imagined that somehow my operating system detected an illicit, concentrated form of THC in my vicinity....

-- Zygoma --

7/5 of adults don't understand fractions.

I'm told that two things can be reliably predicted to fail with increasing age. The first is memory. I can't remember the other right now.
zygoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 11:45 PM   #276
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Don't know if this helps anyone but I had windows 7 on a slightly older computer (Not too old but couldn't run SH3 with reflections on, and slowed down sometimes) and I made sure to install all of my games straight to a folder I created directly on the C drive, not the (Program Files x86) folder.
Old 04-27-12, 11:43 AM   #277
Troublous_Haze
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Flag4 - I have tried running sh3 in XP compatibility mode but it did not fixed the problem - I still lose diesel engine sound after Pause.

Pisces - I also checked it, all volumes are set to maximum but Win7 somewhat reduces volume in application like SH3 no matter what.
Old 04-28-12, 11:03 AM   #278
Cowboy10uk
Watch

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointby View Post
I have the new DVD version that is already patched to v1.4. I'm running a triple screen setup and couldn't get the game to load. I finally got it to load by checking the box "Run in 640x480 screen resolution." That's in the properties box on the sh3.exe file. After the game loaded, I unchecked full screen. Now it runs perfectly. But I sure would like to have a larger screen!

I've gone through all the resolution fixes and compatibility modes (except for Display Changer). I end up with two workable results:
1. Running a tiny 1024 x 768 window at the lowest resolution
2. Running a higher resolution but having it run on all three screens at the same time.

Has anyone with an triple screen eyefinity setup found a way to run SH3 in a larger window?

You're lucky, I can't even get SH3 to run on my eyefinity setup, monitor refresh is 60, installed on e drive, windows xp compatability checked, tried setting the above but while it booted up fine, when I exited it knocked my eyefinity out so much, I had to reinstall my drivers, so not the greatest option. Sadly looks like I'm back to sh5 which will at least boot up with eyefinity running.

Last edited by Cowboy10uk; 04-30-12 at 11:40 AM.
Cowboy10uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 04:29 PM   #279
rosta
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 39

Hello
I have new PC.
Spec:
i5 2500k
nVidia 560Ti
8GB Ram
Win7 64b Home Edition

I have SH 3 from Steam.
I try mods GWX and LSH, but if you are operating in the North Sea, my game always crashes.

Error mesage:
Název chybující aplikace: sh3.exe, verze: 1.4.0.1, ***269;asové razítko: 0x42ae9b3e
Název chybujícího modulu: Kernel.dll, verze: 0.0.0.0, ***269;asové razítko: 0x420b9c98
Kód výjimky: 0xc0000005
Posun chyby: 0x0001a323
ID chybujícího procesu: 0xd94
***268;as spušt***283;ní chybující aplikace: 0x01cd3c454173d3ef
Cesta k chybující aplikaci: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3\sh3.exe
Cesta k chybujícímu modulu: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3\Kernel.dll
ID zprávy: a8b5796f-a83a-11e1-a6b4-1c6f65cebaa1

Sorry it is in Czech.
Any solution?
Thank you very much for any help.
Rosta
rosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 05:16 PM   #280
Vince82
Engineer

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Flag4 - I have tried running sh3 in XP compatibility mode but it did not fixed the problem - I still lose diesel engine sound after Pause.

Pisces - I also checked it, all volumes are set to maximum but Win7 somewhat reduces volume in application like SH3 no matter what.
You could give b25_louder_diesels_louder.7z a try and turn the speech volume in sh3 options a bit down.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 01:10 PM   #281
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51

Hi guys, I´m having some problems running SH3 on W7 64bits. I read this entire thread and couldnt find anybody with the same problem.

First of all I´m new to SH3 but not new to submarines nor naval warfare. I guess I´d skipped SH3 back in the days, going from TF1942 and Silent Service(s) directly to 688i HK, Harpoon, FC, SC, DW and SH4. I didn´t know SH3 was the best of the series.

Recently, I bought SH5 just to discover that its all bugged and flawed. Tried the mods, and despite getting some to work, I guess the problem with all the laggy UI and sluggish graphics are caused by my computer. Its just a damn good laptop but not so good when it comes to gaming. Its limited to its video card, a nVidia 330M. So I´m gonna save it for later. For now, I´m gonna try SH3.

So I bought from GF and had it set. But as soon as I run it, and get 3 or 4 kernel errors, but to my surprise it still loads up and runs fine I guess!!!! I´d tried running as administrator, on compatibility mode XP(SP3),... nothing. Everytime I start the game, I get these 3 or 4 kernel errors and soon after I OK´d them, the game loads up fine.

Is it normal? Did anybody else experience this?
I still didnt try the mods, nor the fixes,
Old 06-25-12, 08:22 AM   #282
Kanfield
Swabbie

Downloads: 114
Default Completely disgustipated

I've tried damned near everything said here to get SH3 to work on my new 'puter. Did the whole deal where you set the setup to admin, all users... then install. don't do gameshadow, blah,blah,blah. Right down to where you copy in the no dvd crap....WHICH YOU CANNOT FIND,unless you want to pay. NO!, I refuse to pay some site I know nothing about and give them my bank account number to *maybe* be able to play a game I bought 6 years ago. Yeah, I know, ya'll can't post links to stuff, blah blah blah. THIS SUCKS!, I LOVE this game. Running win 7 home premium, 64 bit, 4 gigs ram, 2.5 Ghz processor.... should run it like a tank through the desert. I mean, the thing runs Assassin's Creed with everything maxed.. smooth as silk. also a UBI game. I installed SH2, modded it out, default location...smooth as silk,( still fun to play), dual loaded another copy, morphed it to Pac Aces,( still great, thanks you guys), no problems. Why don't they FIX this? If I buy the 'Gold' Edition, will IT work? HELP!
Kanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 02:44 PM   #283
Hangman
Bosun

Downloads: 39

I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, DON'T install to the default directory.

I'll repeat that, DO NOT install to the default directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\ ...

Windows 7 (any bit), Windows Vista (any bit), Windows XP (64 bit), etc ...
These are designed with security measures. If you install a program like this one (SHIII with all the mods), you cannot get it to run because the mods and patches and such are designed to update files in the game directory. If you are using the "Program Files (x86)" directory, these security measure in the Windows OS's are designed to block the files from being edited and manipulated by the mods from SHIII and thus, the game will not run. If you only want to run vanilla SHIII (without any mods, updates, patches, and a generic resolution), then by all means, use the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ ... default installation.

Best suggestion is to create a custom folder for your install of SHIII.
I use "C:\Program Games\ ..." . This way Windows does not automatically block any files from being edited and manipulated by the mods and patches I put in it.

I believe a lot of the errors people are posting are because of the 'security measures' put in place by Microsoft on these newer OS's.

And another think regarding resolutions for those with the larger screens and best video cards; there are mods here in the forum for high resolution screens. See this one for a great example http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=196400
The third post from Brett25 will give you an excellent place to start for getting the game to run on a high resolution. You will have to search around for all the mods to get everything looking proper on the screen, but it's worth it.

Frau Kaleun mentioned earlier and it's worth mentioning again, take your time and go one step at a time. Make sure the vanilla is working properly first before you start putting updates and patches, mods and customizations to it all. Otherwise, you spend twice as much time and still have to go step by step.

Good luck to you all.
Old 06-25-12, 03:32 PM   #284
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Many thanks for the information

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 04:38 PM   #285
nutworld
Engineer

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, DON'T install to the default directory.

I'll repeat that, DO NOT install to the default directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\ ...

Windows 7 (any bit), Windows Vista (any bit), Windows XP (64 bit), etc ...
These are designed with security measures. If you install a program like this one (SHIII with all the mods), you cannot get it to run because the mods and patches and such are designed to update files in the game directory. If you are using the "Program Files (x86)" directory, these security measure in the Windows OS's are designed to block the files from being edited and manipulated by the mods from SHIII and thus, the game will not run. If you only want to run vanilla SHIII (without any mods, updates, patches, and a generic resolution), then by all means, use the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ ... default installation.

Best suggestion is to create a custom folder for your install of SHIII.
I use "C:\Program Games\ ..." . This way Windows does not automatically block any files from being edited and manipulated by the mods and patches I put in it.

I believe a lot of the errors people are posting are because of the 'security measures' put in place by Microsoft on these newer OS's.

And another think regarding resolutions for those with the larger screens and best video cards; there are mods here in the forum for high resolution screens. See this one for a great example http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=196400
The third post from Brett25 will give you an excellent place to start for getting the game to run on a high resolution. You will have to search around for all the mods to get everything looking proper on the screen, but it's worth it.

Frau Kaleun mentioned earlier and it's worth mentioning again, take your time and go one step at a time. Make sure the vanilla is working properly first before you start putting updates and patches, mods and customizations to it all. Otherwise, you spend twice as much time and still have to go step by step.

Good luck to you all.
Hangman, thanks for your help. For about a week I was having trouble with a Vista install.

Perhaps you can help me out with something, in case I should end up with troubles again down the line.

You recommend creating a new directory (instead of default) to install to.

I have done this, yet despite creating on (in my case Vista machine: C:\Ubi\ SH 3) When the installation started, the install went DIRECTLY to the default drive; C:\Progam Files(x86)\Ubisoft\SH III .

I had to cut and paste from that drive to the one I specified. Everything is working perfectly, but despite designating and "directing" the installl to go to a specific (NON-Program files) folder, that is where everything went to during the install.

How do you circumvent this process?

Thank you.
nutworld is offline   Reply With Quote