SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-15, 08:02 PM   #1
wolfeinsamer
Seaman

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Do you just keep getting new objectives?

Firstly hello. Subsim & SH4 newbie. Got broken in on SHO while waiting for my DVD to arrive in the mail. Then had to get a graphics card because integrated GPU was meh. Have installed a few mods, learnt how to manual target without external tools. Lovin it

So pre RSRD I would go out on a campaign and only get 1 or 2 MO. I would complete those, then chug BTB. Now, on my first campaign since RSRD I am currently on my 5th MO on the one trip from base. I have just enough fuel to go back to base, or I could go to the MO and then would have to refit at another base. If I will just keep getting new MO's then I would just go BTB. If the MO's are finite, then obviously I would refit to see me through. Incidentally, although I have completed the previous 4 MO's I have only found and sunk 4023 tonnes. Do I need to sink more tonnage? What would you suggest?
wolfeinsamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 09:37 PM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Welcome Aboard

Complete your Objectives. If you have done that and expended all torpedoes, I usually return to base.

Some keep reloading and heading back out to accumulate tonnage, but if you've completed your Objectives you will receive new orders and possibly upgrades to your boat if you return to base.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 11:56 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

The short answer is yes, you will likely keep getting new objectives as long as you radio in. The game is not real smart in these things.

If you just want a realistic game patrol, I would limit myself to one or two, stay in those areas until you either run out of torpedoes, run low on fuel, or come to a sensible time limit for the patrol. (That would be 60 or 70 days for a fleetboat.) The game will allow you to rearm and go out again, ad infinitum, but how much sense does that make?

RL skippers were not coached (or nagged) constantly, while on patrol. They were sent to a patrol zone and left alone; they knew what to do.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 12:30 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

wolfeinsamer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 02:24 AM   #5
wolfeinsamer
Seaman

Thanks captains. I think I will head back.

@aanker. I can't ascertain from your answer if I will just keep getting assigned new objectives while out at sea.
Old 11-13-15, 03:11 AM   #6
wolfeinsamer
Seaman

Ah. I think I've worked out what I was doing wrong. I kept sending new status reports, so would get sent a new mission.
Old 11-13-15, 06:59 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 12:02 PM   #8
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeinsamer View Post
Ah. I think I've worked out what I was doing wrong. I kept sending new status reports, so would get sent a new mission.
The US submarines were known as the 'silent service' for a reason. Unlike their German counterparts, with few exceptions they did not keep reporting back to base to report or request much of anything. Sometimes they would communicate ship to ship if they were part of a group and even swap movies, but that isn't simulated.

It all depends on how you want to patrol. If you want to mostly just sink tons of shipping and do port raiding, that's OK. Maybe you want to try to do 'historically accurate' patrols (within the limitations of the game).

Whatever you want to do, the main thing is to have fum : )

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 11-13-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-21-15, 06:47 AM   #9
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
Showoff

With RSRDC and TMO (I don't know which one does it) you get different objectives and I usually get "Patrol where you want or RTB if you want" (my words) after about four or five objectives. As mentioned before that's not how it worked during the war, but it gives you some chance at a nice hunting ground and even a chance to follow your own preferences.
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-15, 12:41 PM   #10
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraug View Post
With RSRDC and TMO (I don't know which one does it) you get different objectives and I usually get "Patrol where you want or RTB if you want .... "
If you're out of torpedoes and on your way 'home' even Stock will give that Order.

With RSRD on top of anything, you will be playing the RSRD career.

With TMO without RSRD, you will be playing the career that TMO offers; he changed the stock campaign traffic & objectives. RSRD takes control if it is installed on top so a lot of people don't get to see Tater's & Ducimus' campaign layers (which are quite good btw)

Happy Hunting!
Old 11-21-15, 08:19 PM   #11
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraug View Post
With RSRDC and TMO (I don't know which one does it) you get different objectives and I usually get "Patrol where you want or RTB if you want" (my words) after about four or five objectives.
Yes, but I think it is done on a probability basis. By that I mean, you can get the patrol at your discretion after one or two objectives, you don't necessarily need to have a bunch.

Quote:
RSRD takes control if it is installed on top so a lot of people don't get to see Tater's & Ducimus' campaign layers (which are quite good btw)
Did Tater do the TMO or RFB layers?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-15, 08:34 PM   #12
wolfeinsamer
Seaman

Thanks for continued responses. I seem to be progressing ok, new subs, a couple of medals. I struggle to find a lot of targets. Being as I can sink a lot of merchants with 1 fish I often end up going back to base with plenty of barrels full, because fuel is getting low (I usually cruise at 2/3). I'm not convoy savy yet. I can sneak in and pop off one target if conditions are right, but have not sunk any warships yet.
Old 11-22-15, 07:15 AM   #13
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Yes, but I think it is done on a probability basis. By that I mean, you can get the patrol at your discretion after one or two objectives, you don't necessarily need to have a bunch.
Indeed. I got a "patrol at your discretion" during my third patrol immediately after a 36h patrol of the Molucca Strait. And I got the discretion thing five times in a row.
Really amazing: we were trying to hold Java and they didn't have any orders for me! No wonder we couldn't hold the line.
Historically and logically the obvious next step of Japan was Timor, so I sat in the Timor Strait entrance for two weeks attacking two convoys when I was suddenly overrun by a Japanese Task Force (the one attacking the Christmas Isles and Java from the South) that I had not anticipated. I came back up to periscope depth South of the Southern of the two lines, dove again under a Mogami-class and a Kuma-class cruiser and just managed to get off torpedoes at the last fleet carrier. I had been plagued by VERY bad torpedoes the whole patrol (two ships only out of two badly guarded convoys) but this time we got lucky and Japan will have to attack Midway without Akagi (or Kaga)!
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 01:14 PM   #14
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Did Tater do the TMO or RFB layers?
I don't know. I was enthusiastic about Tater's layers, so were a lot of people including Ducimus, then RSRD came on the scene and sadly imo, Tater stopped.

I think Ducimus expanded on Tater's initial work for TM. Not sure about RFB although I don't think so.

The forum is still up if you sneak in. Tater seems to be working on other projects with everyone including Lurker.