SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-15, 12:08 AM   #1
scubamatt
Mate

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Nasty surprise tonight

So, had free reign to sink anything anywhere, took a little jaunt over to a harbor that wasn't too far from deep water, figured I'd shoot anything in/near the docks.

Looking through the scope after dark, I see a couple of small freighters, an auxiliary subchaser, a Fubuki DD, and a H6K seaplane floating there.

Got all set up, put two fish into the Fubuki, one into the aux boat. Dive and hide, wait for the reports of things sinking. Back up to periscope depth, harbor is a little stirred up, but the seaplane is still there and the two Maru. Back off a ways, measure my distance on the charts so my gun crews know what to set, and surface the boat for some night surface gunfire.

A few rounds later, the seaplane is burning merrily, one of the Maru is enthusiastically spraying the ocean in my direction without much effect, and I'm feeling pretty good about exchanging shells with him.

I have a stern mount deck gun (sigh) so I decide to maneuver a little to get a cleaner shot on the second Maru. As the boat begins to move, my lookouts says 'warship detected, bearing 223, closing!' and my boat gets slammed with a heavy shell. Damage everywhere, mass panic, flooding.

I go flank speed, hard left rudder and watch a big shell go past my stern as I try to wheel the gun around to return fire.

It is a Japanese *submarine* coming into port and shooting at me with its deck gun(s). In all the years I've played this game, I've never actually encountered an enemy sub. I pause the game to have a minute of screaming rage at my monitor. I take stock of the situation, unpause the game and return to chaos.

I can't get a clean shot at him with torpedoes, my turn is bringing me around towards him though...and the Maru finds the range finally. Plink Plink Pow 'arg they got Joey' type sounds. Quick check of the damage control situation reveals massive flooding in three compartments and many wounded. I'm afraid to dive, so I decide to run away on the surface and hope for the best.

Stupid enemy sub turns into my path, gun blazing. My deck gun can't bear because he is in front of me, so I man the AA gun and hose him down for a bit before we collide. I run him over, he sinks, my ship is now massively damaged judging from the nonstop shouts of 'we have flooding'...and my depth is increasing despite _not_ giving the order to dive.

I go to the damage control screen and pause the game.

68% hull damage. All compartments flooding, and the stern is almost gone. I have the worst damage control team in the history of...wait...why are they are all manning the deck gun?

Oops.

Let's just fix that, move you guys back to the DC team, prioritize some things. Steer the boat towards the end of the island, I think we're going to have to abandon ship shortly.

She doesn't sink, though I do have to hit emergency blow when we start to submerge. They manage to stop the flooding from getting worse, pump the water back out, and eventually get most everything repaired (at least what they can). I sail back to home port on the surface the whole way... praying for bad weather and no air patrols.

I make it, end patrol, got credit for one maru (5,186 tons) and one seaplane (7 tons). No credit for the sub or the Fubuki, but my disappointment is tempered by the fact that I didn't sink and die. I gave all of the medals and promotions to the DC crew, they earned it.

Not sure if the Jap sub hit me with a torpedo first, or if one deck gun shell did all of that, but my boat was pretty much wrecked aft of the control room, in one hit. Not going to surface and shoot it out again, next time I try and see if I can sink a float plane with a torpedo instead.
scubamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 12:19 AM   #2
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Wow. I've been away for a while playing Witcher 3, but I've had a hankering to come back. Your story really gets me excited to play again!
Old 11-09-15, 03:32 AM   #3
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

This is why I never shell anything that is sitting in a harbour.
Great story though
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 08:41 AM   #4
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamatt View Post
game and return to chaos.

next time I try and see if I can sink a float plane with a torpedo instead.
Heh, heh. You can "sink" an HK-3 with a torpedo, if the depth is set to its shallowest setting and the proximity fuse works as designed. The blast blows the plane straight up, maybe a thousand feet or more. Not realistic, but cool to see one time.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 10:00 AM   #5
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

I shall never experience that. If I do, I'll quit. Simple as that
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 10:01 AM   #6
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
This is why I never shell anything that is sitting in a harbour.
Great story though
Exactly! There are always: shoreguns, other warship, submarine, planes, or a suicidal merchant ship (don't ask)
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 12:06 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

hey matt,

yes, i have experienced a jap sub while playing FOTRS. fortunately for me, my crew always detected her before she detected me but i can feel your rage. as colonel rhodes is fond of saying, "watch my six...."
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 12:48 PM   #8
bloddyboy123
Captain Indiana

Downloads: 54

welp, time to go back to stock and see what happens! xD
bloddyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 02:18 PM   #9
Capt. James Hook
Nub

Downloads: 59

Great story!
I have never seen a Jap Sub.
Capt. James Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 02:38 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Capt. James Hook!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-27-15 at 07:22 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 05:14 PM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

What mods are you using?

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 06:47 PM   #12
White Comet
Swabbie

Downloads: 45

Wow, I've never encountered another sub. I've only ever encountered an I-400 anchored at port.

Nice job on the escape.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 07:39 PM   #13
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

I encountered an enemy sub on one of my other careers a year ago. Got the watch yelling "enemy warship spotted!" and went to the bridge to ID it. Couldn't see the thing so I moved closer. Lo and behold there was a German Typ XI off my port bow with no conning tower and a rather large deck gun. Sent one torp at him and literally blew him out of the water. I was transiting the shallows just north of Borneo during that encounter.
Old 12-28-15, 08:47 AM   #14
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Hook

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 04:17 PM   #15
scubamatt
Mate

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
What mods are you using?
I'm running TMO, plus two of Rockin Robbins mods (EZPlot and TMO Keys).
scubamatt is offline   Reply With Quote