SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-10, 06:56 PM   #1
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ATI 5xxx series graphic issues

Just thought I give a heads up in case anybody is considering buying any of the recent ATI VGAs(5770,5850 & 5870). I bought a XFX 5870 and have been impressed with it's performance but unfortunately, every once in awhile, my screen will become corrupted and I'll have to reboot the system. I thought it was just a glitch that I'd be able to sort out sooner or later. I made sure to clean out the old Nvidia driver with Driver Sweeper before installing the newest ATI driver. So far all attempts to rid my system of this problem have failed but I found this post over at the HarwareCanucks forum that indicates it's an issue that seems to affect a unknown percentage of cards. So far the 5750 and 5970 cards seem to be okay:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...r-updates.html

I tried the 10.1 hotfix that was released a few days ago but I can't see any improvement. The only good thing about this is that it seems okay while playing games or watching videos and only gives me problems while web browsing. Hopefully, a software fix will take care of it but I must admit, I'm starting to think there's more to it then that. Some people have gone the RMA route but received new cards with similar problem while others have gotten problem free ones. Could end up being quite a hassle if it turns out to be problem that can't be solved with a software fix.

Rob
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 10:06 PM   #2
Tweety
Planesman

Downloads: 157

Hello mako88sb,

Good find. I wonder if Diamond Radeon HD 5770 video card would fit into this group. This is also an ATI video card.

I ordered this card last week and waiting for it to arrive. It got me to thinking how I could return this card.

Maybe I could say I changed my mind and what to get a different card.

Thanks for the link. I will check into this for more info.

Tweety

Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 07:02 AM   #3
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
That is driver related - give them time to straighten it out. The only cause for concern is if it happens consisently and all the time. If so, then it could be a design flaw - but that is highly unlikely. The other thing to do is check your temps for the GPU. If its not running hot - then wait for the drivers to correct the problem.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 10:08 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 06:32 PM   #5
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
That is driver related - give them time to straighten it out. The only cause for concern is if it happens consisently and all the time. If so, then it could be a design flaw - but that is highly unlikely. The other thing to do is check your temps for the GPU. If its not running hot - then wait for the drivers to correct the problem.

It's definitely not a heat issue as it works fine when playing games but starts glitching up when I'm surfing the web and the card is pretty well at idle. The post below has somebody mentioning that he fixed his by adjusting some BIOS voltage setting that's set too low for these cards when their at idle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI...5870,9549.html
Old 03-14-10, 10:16 AM   #6
mako88sb
XO

Just thought I give an update here. I've been going back and forth with XFX's tech support trying to sort this issue out. According to XFX, the last 10.2 update had pretty well fixed the 2d graphic issues but for some reason, my computer was still acting up. Finally, after trying a few things, they convinced me to re-install my windows XP. It's been running fine for over 2 yrs so I wasn't that keen about it but that seems to have been the source of my problems. I've been on the computer almost steady the last couple days with none of the graphic corruption issues that where plaguing my system. Now I'm looking forward to my tax refund so I can do a good system upgrade. Might even get another 5870 when they drop in price.