SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-24, 06:26 PM   #1
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1 View Post
All:
Now in patrol #17 in Dec 1941. And get an assigned area to patrol as DT81. That makes no sense. It lies way south off the west coast of Africa. We all know the actual war demand action is between England and Scandinavia and on the British west coast to sink British shipping to the UK. So, are these area assignments just randomly generated by the program with no rational underlying their position? If that is the case, we may as well ignore them and hunt on our own...which makes this more of an arcade game than anything near resembling realism. I know it's a game, but then so is Pong. Aren't we supposed to be better?

I was earlier going to ask if anyone could answer if Unterseeboot Command wanted sub commanders to head directly to assigned quadrants and ignore targets enroute, or take advantage of targets as they emerged. But maybe that is just too subtle for the game.

Finally is there a group working on updating LSH3? Or is this it?
-=Archive1=-
Fwiw, patrols "way south off the west coast of Africa" is not ahistorical at all.
Old 04-23-24, 09:59 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Fwiw, patrols "way south off the west coast of Africa" is not ahistorical at all.
Indeed, that's where U-505, now in Chicago, got hunted down and captured!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-24, 01:20 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Indeed, that's where U-505, now in Chicago, got hunted down and captured!
Yep, and a highly decorated ace, Wolfgang Luth, had great success off of the west/south African coasts.
Old 05-09-24, 12:49 AM   #4
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26

pancoast and aktungbby:

Yes, yes I understand all that, but my assignment was in 1941...way down there in Africa? C'mon, guys. British shipping up north into and away from the Isles was much more critical to destroy in the early years.

Your comments are obviously correct, much later in the war, but not at the onset. I think we must accept that patrol assignments in the game are randomly assigned with no focus on accuracy and generally can be ignored without any negatives. Maybe you have some historical reference that makes my position invalid (?) I know of no subs assigned deep into the coast of Africa in 1941, but perhaps you have a reference that corrects me.

BTW - I grew up in Chicago and am very well aware of U-505 and visited it often.
-=Archive1=-
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-24, 10:28 AM   #5
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193

Quote:
I know of no subs assigned deep into the coast of Africa in 1941, but perhaps you have a reference that corrects me.

U 69 5 May - 8 Jul 1941
https://uboat.net/boats/patrols/patrol_492.html
Old 05-09-24, 12:42 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Quote:
pancoast and aktungbby:

Yes, yes I understand all that, but my assignment was in 1941...way down there in Africa? C'mon, guys. British shipping up north into and away from the Isles was much more critical to destroy in the early years.

Your comments are obviously correct, much later in the war, but not at the onset. I think we must accept that patrol assignments in the game are randomly assigned with no focus on accuracy and generally can be ignored without any negatives. Maybe you have some historical reference that makes my position invalid (?) I know of no subs assigned deep into the coast of Africa in 1941, but perhaps you have a reference that corrects me.

BTW - I grew up in Chicago and am very well aware of U-505 and visited it often.
-=Archive1=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by La vache View Post
La vache!
Quote:
Third patrol
The boat's next sortie was to the West African coast. She laid mines off Lagos and Takoradi and made full use of the failure of the allies to enforce convoy systems.

One of her victims was the neutral American ship SS Robin Moor[6] operating 750 miles (1,210 km) off the British port of Freetown, Sierra Leone. The sinking of Robin Moor caused President Roosevelt to brand Germany an "international outlaw" and to require Germany and Italy to close all of their consulates in the United States except for their embassies.[7] Before the sinking, Robin Moor's passengers and crew were allowed thirty minutes to board lifeboats, then the submarine torpedoed, shelled and sank the ship. The survivors then drifted without rescue or detection for up to eighteen days. When news of the sinking reached the US, few shipping companies felt truly safe anywhere. As Time magazine noted in June 1941, "if such sinkings continue, US ships bound for other places remote from fighting fronts, will be in danger. Henceforth the US would either have to recall its ships from the ocean or enforce its right to the free use of the seas."[8] In October 1941, federal prosecutors in the espionage case against a group of 33 defendants known as the "Duquesne Spy Ring" adduced testimony that Leo Waalen had submitted the sailing date of Robin Moor for radio transmission to Germany, five days before the ship began her final voyage. Waalen was found guilty and sentenced to 12 years in prison for espionage and a concurrent 2-year term for violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act.

U-69 also sank Tewkesbury about 540 nautical miles (1,000 km; 620 mi) south of the Cape Verde Islands on the same date (21 May). Her master was awarded the OBE for his actions, but never knew about it; he was lost when Newbury went to the bottom on 15 September.

She then sank Sangara in Accra harbour on 31 May 1941. The ship went down in 33 ft (10 m) of water, her bow was still visible. (The vessel was salvaged in 1943 and her cargo sold, she was broken up in 1947).

Robert Hughes was lost to a mine laid by U-69 on 4 June.

The submarine sank River Lugar 200 nautical miles (370 km; 230 mi) southeast of the Azores on 27 June 1941 and Empire Ability on that same day.

On the return journey, U-69 was engaged in what was an ultimately successful gun-duel with Robert L. Holt southwest of the Canary Islands on 3 July 1941. She fired 102 high explosive and 34 incendiary rounds from her deck gun, 220 rounds from her 20mm anti-aircraft weapon and 400 rounds from her MG 34 machine gun at the merchantman.

The boat returned to France, to St. Nazaire on 8 July.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-24, 10:11 PM   #7
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26

La Vache and Aktungbby:
I accept your corrections. Clearly some unterseeboots were operating off the African coast.
My statements were off base and incorrect. But...
I still cannot understand why the sub command would divert critical, and limited number, of subs to this far southern arena when the coastal waters of the UK were so critical to control and that the necessary-to-exist materiel which was needed, had to end in UK ports. Anything coming from elsewhere still had to, must, clear the UK coast and end-up in its limited number of destination harbors for unloading. A balance, perhaps, between the hazard of UK aircraft up north and its density of shipping, and the safety of the south and fewer ships.
We know from Churchill's books that the situation was increasingly dire for the UK.
Obviously, I was not asked for my opinion by Doenitz!
-=Archive1=-
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote