SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-14, 03:19 PM   #1
Captain Diver
Watch

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 0
Default Optical Targeting Correction RFB 1.4

To whom it may concern,

I recently tried to download "Optical Targeting Correction RFB 1.4" from our download section. However "GameFront" states that the file cannot be found or is no longer available. I have tried to PM the owner of that Mod but I do not know if he is still here, so I am asking anyone out there that might know if there is another location that I might download from. Any consideration that you could afford in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Captain Diver
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1=4
Improved Ship Physics_2.15=5
Improved Stock Environment_v3=6
#2 ISE Realistic Colors=7
Captain Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-14, 03:30 PM   #2
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

yep I got the same response ill check around
Old 08-11-14, 03:58 PM   #3
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

It ought to be up on this site - I DL'd it a month or so back.
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-14, 11:47 PM   #4
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I wasn't aware there were any versions of OTC for RFB.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 02:17 AM   #5
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
It's funny - I seem to remember downloading it when I set up an RFB install [I thought I ought to try it out] But checking out the MODS folder, I see that you seem to be right - I can only put it down to early onset dementia - whoops
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 06:16 AM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
There definitely are. There just isn't one for RFB v1.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Diver View Post
To whom it may concern,

I recently tried to download "Optical Targeting Correction RFB 1.4" from our download section. However "GameFront" states that the file cannot be found or is no longer available. I have tried to PM the owner of that Mod but I do not know if he is still here, so I am asking anyone out there that might know if there is another location that I might download from. Any consideration that you could afford in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Captain Diver
CapnScurvy is around. He was on last night. I expect he will respond shortly.

Capn, you out there?

CORRECTION:

The latest release of RFB is v2.0, with a patch to v2.3. It is NOT v1.5. There is an RFB v1.52 available here: http://www.silenthuntermods.com/foru...hp?topic=160.0

Last edited by BigWalleye; 08-12-14 at 09:14 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 08:52 AM   #7
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

To my knowledge there is no OTC for TMO only RSRD.

All OTC mods can be found in the download section of subsim. If you get them anywhere else you take your chances.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 09:13 AM   #8
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Yep, still here.

I responded to Captain Diver's PM the other day, and found he's referring to the fact that the OTC for RFB 1.4 was taken down from the GameFront server (which is where the SubSim "Downloads" menu link will take you.....found HERE).

GameFront removes uploads after a specific amount of time. SubSim doesn't, yet there is a specific amount of server space SubSim gives to us, which I'm at my limit. Actually, I reached my limit some time ago and had to ask for more from Neil Stevens which is where I am today....at my limit again. Still not enough to put all my mods, or their various versions in one place.

That's why the RFB 1.4 version of OTC was on the GameFront site. It's an older mod, for an older version of RFB, that just isn't going to draw much interest.

I'll look into it for you Captain Diver. As you pointed out, your particular situation has valid reasons why you haven't moved up to version 1.5. Reasons that I'm completely sympathetic with! What I can do is see if I've still got the OTC for RFB 1.4 mod (I think so), put it onto the GameFront "permanent" mod uploads server.....which means they won't remove it, nor can I change anything with it once its uploaded. Then I can let you know that it's there for you to download. This will take some time though. Today I'm not home to even look for the mod on my computers, plus IF I'm going to upload the OTC mod for RFB 1.4, I think I'll try to make a version compatible for the older RSRDC v390.....much as what your mod list has now. I know many folks use RSRDC, in its many versions, so, I think I should make a compatible version for it too.

I should tell you though, RSRDC has it's flaws. One that I've discovered is Lurker permits many of his ship speeds, in their "historical" routes, will drop below half the ships rated maximum speed when traveling these routes. When this occurs, the subs sonar (no matter what sub you use, or what year it is) won't allow the target ship to be heard by you...the Captain, when you listen for yourself at the sonar station. Your sonar man will hear it and give you a report within the Message Box, but if you try to pin point the ship yourself with the sonar......you won't hear a thing, even if the ship is within viewing range!

Also, many times you'll get a CTD with RSRDC when using the Museum. Sometimes its a specific plane he's added, others it's a specific ship or sub. I usually try to fix this CTD Museum problem since I've found anytime the Museum piece causes a CTD, so it will when its encountered within the game. The fact that I make a mod to overlay another, I'll try to fix what's broke, because chances are, a user will find the flaw and blame my mod for the problem!

That's pretty much why I've tried to avoid making mods compatible to other mods. The RFB 1.4 is just one of a long list of RFB versions (which I was a part of at one time). RSRDC changed versions as often as a person changes his socks! It's hard to keep up with the changes, when your compatible mod needed to be updated to match.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 09:14 AM   #9
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
To my knowledge there is no OTC for TMO only RSRD.

All OTC mods can be found in the download section of subsim. If you get them anywhere else you take your chances.
The mod entitled 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 TMO 2.5, found here, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4051, is intended for use with TMO v2.5. There is no version of OTC compatible with RFB v2.0, which is the most current version of RFB .(NOT v1.5, as I misstated above.) There is a version of OTC for RFB v1.4, http://www.silenthuntermods.com/foru...hp?topic=160.0.

I understand that CapnScurvy was working on a version of OTC for RFB v2.0. I don't know what the current status of that project is.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 12:01 PM   #10
Captain Diver
Watch

Downloads: 261

To everyone concerned,

Thank you all for your quick response and input to this situation, I can not thank everyone enough for this. I would also like to thank the people who put in the long hours creating these wonderful mods to make SH4 such a blast to play.

Sincerely,

Captain Diver
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1=4
Improved Ship Physics_2.15=5
Improved Stock Environment_v3=6
#2 ISE Realistic Colors=7
Captain Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 12:59 PM   #11
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227

CapnScurvy,

Another shameless plug by me for OTC for RFB 2.0 (RSRDC 575)

If subsim upload space is holding you back, I'll offer my unused space for rent...for cheap...goose egg cheap!
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 01:11 PM   #12
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

CapnScurvy, what led you to stop at RFB 1.4? Eg, did you find that be the purest form of the mod? Or too much work to keep up with them all, and RFB the least popular?

Last edited by Crannogman; 02-08-15 at 02:28 PM.
Crannogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 12:00 AM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I didn't like the way LukeFF decided to take RFB.

SWDW asked me to come onboard with him years ago to work on RFB. He was managing the overall project. I did, along with several others including LukeFF. SWDW stepped away from the project and left it in LukeFF hands. At the time of the management change, my Ship Centered, Accuracy Fix (SCAF) was incorporated in RFB. Much like Optical Targeting Correction, it corrected the mast height measurements, giving a player a better chance of using the Stadimeter as it was intended. The fact that the stock game had ships producing found Stadimeter ranges off by as much as half the true range distance was the main focus.

LukeFF decided to remove SCAF from his version of RFB due to his idea that it gave a player too accurate of a Stadimeter reading. Nothing could be further from the truth, but that's the way he saw it. He even has gone so far has to have some ships deliberately list inaccurate mast height measurements, just for the ability of throwing off a player's range reading. His idea of the 'ol "fog of war" BS, that he thought was realistic.

I don't buy it!! I won't make another compatible mod for RFB 2.0. I'm tired of walking behind someone else's ideas. What I will do is make a mod that's better. Been working on it for a while, have no set time for completion.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 08:08 PM   #14
pdiddy
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
What I will do is make a mod that's better. Been working on it for a while, have no set time for completion.
Excellent!
Old 02-09-15, 11:35 PM   #15
pdiddy
Gunner

P.S. Testing OTC for RFB for personal use: