Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-10-16, 06:09 AM   #1
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15 Why Trump - the white riot

"The white riot, how racism and immigration gave us Trump, Brexit and a whole new kind of politics"

Not easy to swallow, but well worth reading:
http://www.vox.com/2016/9/19/1293307...t-trump-brexit

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 06:41 AM   #2
agathosdaimon
Planesman

Downloads: 142

i am relieved that people on this forum seem to grasp the grave seriousness of electing a sociopath to run and to now have free licence to do whatever he wants in the US and the world with a party of sociopaths controlling all the branches of government, who are not going to stand up to him at all , and in fact their own plans are just as terrifying and they are more bent on pushing them through, which given how little trump reads, will probably sail through with no mention at all.
agathosdaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 07:35 AM   #3
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Perhaps the most surprising predictor of a Trump victory was the filmmaker and progressive gadfly Michael Moore. In the youtube video from July it is him saying, “unless we face facts, this is what’s going to happen.” Looking at it now after the election, it goes beyond “he called it.” This is crystal ball stuff, and it shows how well Moore understands the power and mindset of poor white voters. Particularly those from the rust belt in a way that many liberals doomed themselves by ignoring or underestimating.

Quote:
“I sorry to have to be the buzz-killer here … but I think Trump is going to win … I live in Michigan, let me tell you, it’s going to be the Brexit strategy.”

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 07:44 AM   #4
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by agathosdaimon View Post
i am relieved that people on this forum seem to grasp the grave seriousness of electing a sociopath to run and to now have free licence to do whatever he wants in the US and the world with a party of sociopaths controlling all the branches of government, who are not going to stand up to him at all , and in fact their own plans are just as terrifying and they are more bent on pushing them through, which given how little trump reads, will probably sail through with no mention at all.
What's next? Are you going to call those that voted for him a "Basket of Deplorables"?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 08:26 AM   #5
AndyJWest
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
What's next? Are you going to call those that voted for him a "Basket of Deplorables"?
The thing is with living in a democracy that considers 'free speech' to be an essential right is that it involves having to see opinions you don't like occasionally.
Old 11-10-16, 08:34 AM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
The thing is with living in a democracy that considers 'free speech' to be an essential right is that it involves having to see opinions you don't like occasionally.
Doesn't this essential free speech you talk about extend to the right to say what I think of those opinions?

Old 11-10-16, 08:43 AM   #7
AndyJWest
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Doesn't this essential free speech you talk about extend to the right to say what I think of those opinions?
It does. It also entitles others to respond to your indignant objections to something nobody actually said.
Old 11-10-16, 09:07 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
"The white riot, how racism and immigration gave us Trump, Brexit and a whole new kind of politics"

Not easy to swallow, but well worth reading:
http://www.vox.com/2016/9/19/1293307...t-trump-brexit
When white people attempt to use their political will to pull their country out of the trash heap, it's called racism. Notice liberals don't spend much time calling black people racist when they turn out in record numbers to elect the first "black" president? Or when Middle Eastern inhabitants denigrate Western culture? Or when Hispanics demand the US pull down its borders and dismantle its immigration laws in order to allow more Hispanics to enter? You think the Hispanics would be so motivated to allow millions of Frenchmen to enter the US? Never hear them make a peep about this.
Old 11-10-16, 09:16 AM   #9
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
It does. It also entitles others to respond to your indignant objections to something nobody actually said.
Nobody? Seems to me that I just heard some Democrat bigwig use that exact term just recently.

In any case now that we have established that we both still have the right to object maybe you can tell me why he calls half the country sociopaths or supporters of sociopaths and you only complain that I asked him if he was going to use the same insult that got that line of thinking defeated at the polls just this past tuesday. Perhaps you'd prefer I used another the words of another Democrat bigwig and call them bitter clingers instead.

FWIW this is actually a pretty interesting exchange for me because it's evidence that the Democrats have not learned anything from their defeat at the polls.

Old 11-10-16, 09:18 AM   #10
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

I disagree with linked article, even though racism certainly plays some role.

If this was merely about racism, then Finland doesn't fit into picture. Finns Party gained its greatest victories when a) immigrant situation was quite stabile and b) other political parties were in middle of financial misconduct scandal.

Refugee crisis began well before latest parliamentary elections and logically there should have been surge in Finns Party popularity. That didn't happen, instead Greens (+5 seats, +1,5 points popularity) and Centre (+14 seats, +5,3 points popularity) parties got electoral victories at expense of everyone else except Swedish People's Party which retained its seats. Finns Party lost one seat and -1,4 in popularty, but as everyone else crashed that was enough for second largest seat number and third highest popularity.

Finns Party got into government because a) National Coalition and Social Democrats do not fit into same government and b) there was no sufficient support for centre-left government. Unfortunate outcome is that government can't operate without Finns Party support so they have significant leverage on Finnish goverment policies.

There certainly is very large and influential racist far-right section within Finns Party. However it alone is not enough to explain party's popularity and support.

2015 Finnish parliamentary election results are available here: http://vaalit.yle.fi/tulospalvelu/20...lueet_##graafi

Last edited by kraznyi_oktjabr; 11-10-16 at 09:35 AM.
kraznyi_oktjabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 09:19 AM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Well worth the read indeed. That is the most idiotic and racist article I've read to date, you should be ashamed for being so weak minded and taking up precious bandwidth to post such drivel.

The reality is the voters which turned out for this event is much more intergrated and dynamic than you have been told to think and then regurgitate said crap here. I truely hope this was just a troll and you or anyone else are not actually taking this article seriously.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-10-16 at 09:32 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 09:38 AM   #12
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Yeah, there is perhaps some element of racism in there, but it's just one part of the spectrum of Trump voters. There's all kinds of nasty and also all kinds of not-nasty. To say that just nasties voted Trump is to drastically underestimate the scale of the situation and, indeed, dismiss the underlying problems. There's all kinds of differences in this, age, gender, race, trends that people are going to pick over for the next four years, some examples I will drag from the BBC and post below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37889032

Time will tell.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 09:49 AM   #13
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

OK lets take a poll: any whites males here who voted because you are an extreme right wing neo nazi nationalists who hates brown people and wants to close borders not letting anyone in and demand your lost white priveledge returned to you?

Dont you see how stupid this arguement is. What a bunch of simple minded extremists, go read a book for change.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 09:58 AM   #14
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

VOX is a liberal rag. During the election campaign, it basically functioned as the press arm for the Clinton campaign. It has no credibility whatsoever.

In fact, many publications completely destroyed their credibility during the campaign by being outrageously anti-Trump, such as POLITICO, VOX, SLATE, NY Times, Washington Post.

The only site which was objective and is now my first go to site for the day's political news is REAL CLEAR POLITICS.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

REAL CLEAR POLITICS was also the only site that on Monday was showing the race as a dead heat while everyone else was already celebrating President-elect Clinton.
Old 11-10-16, 10:07 AM   #15
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

If you do want to read a good article on President-elect Trump, read this one:

Quote:

PITTSBURGH—“Running for president is a very important endeavor,” Donald Trump said. “What is more important, right?”

He leaned forward on his chair, separated by a heavy black curtain in a makeshift green room from the crowd waiting to hear him speak at the Shale Insight Conference.

“I am running because, number one, I think I will do a very good job. Number two, it’s really about making American great again.” He paused, as if realizing that repeating his campaign slogan might not seem genuine.

“I mean that; I really do want to make America great again,” he said. “That is what it is all about.”

The 70-year-old Republican nominee took his time walking from the green room toward the stage. He stopped to chat with the waiters, service workers, police officers, and other convention staffers facilitating the event. There were no selfies, no glad-handing for votes, no trailing television cameras. Out of view of the press, Trump warmly greets everyone he sees, asks how they are, and, when he can, asks for their names and what they do.

“I am blown away!” said one worker, an African American man who asked for anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak to the press. “The man I just saw there talking to people is nothing like what I’ve seen, day in and day out, in the news.”

and the real reason why the bi-coastal liberal elite does not get Trump:

Quote:
It’s a familiar split. When he makes claims like this, the press takes him literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally.

When I presented that thought to him, he paused again, “Now that’s interesting.”
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...sburgh/501335/