Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-19, 04:40 PM   #6511
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Well, here we go. Trump pulls us out of the Nuclear treaty and now Russia is pulling out. Yay!! A new arms race!!

Al Capone
Old 02-02-19, 05:05 PM   #6512
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

It wouldn't have anything to do with China not being a signatory of the treaty nor obliged to participate would it?

Let me guess the reply:. Ya but Trump.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 02-02-19, 05:15 PM   #6513
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I read somewhere that Russia has reserved the right to reload their missile silos , but the USA does not have that ability and on top of that the extra missiles were not counted against Russia.

They say Trump doesn't listen to his military advisors he sure got this inch to increase the military might of America from somewhere.

Does anyone understand what happens next? Do our FBM's in service no longer have to be converted to cruise missiles?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 02-02-19, 05:56 PM   #6514
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A question on Trumps relation to the countries military abilities and the countries abilities when it comes to gather information about other countries military abilities.

Some days ago I could read Trump had "made nonsens" of a report on Iran's military strength.

Does Trump have such a huge knowledge on what Iran can or can't, that he can do so ?

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 02-02-19, 08:29 PM   #6515
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
It wouldn't have anything to do with China not being a signatory of the treaty nor obliged to participate would it?

Let me guess the reply:. Ya but Trump.

I give up, is that the reply? Or do you think that this is a good thing?

Al Capone
Old 02-02-19, 09:09 PM   #6516
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
It almo$t make$ $en$e that $omeone who think$ a cup of covfefe $hould be $4.00 would want to run "our" government.
Hmm.. actually, someone who can sell the coffee for $4, pretty capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Qualified politicians

You should not be so worried whether a politician is qualified to take place in the Oval Office or not.

What you should be worried about is the voters.

Markus
Wow, that's the truth, man.
Old 02-03-19, 03:27 AM   #6517
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I read somewhere that Russia has reserved the right to reload their missile silos , but the USA does not have that ability and on top of that the extra missiles were not counted against Russia.

They say Trump doesn't listen to his military advisors he sure got this inch to increase the military might of America from somewhere.

Does anyone understand what happens next? Do our FBM's in service no longer have to be converted to cruise missiles?
The (quick) silo reload is a cold war era myth and is contradicted by evidence, for example proportion of produced ICBMs to launchers.

That said however the new START treaty does have it's own problems, from development of new systems that do not fall under it (ie HGVs) to compliance. You can read the list of some of the compliance issues in the attached PDF.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbC...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-03-19, 03:30 AM   #6518
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Well, here we go. Trump pulls us out of the Nuclear treaty and now Russia is pulling out. Yay!! A new arms race!!
In his meeting with Shoigu (MoD) and Lavrov (MfFA) Putin supported Shoigu's suggestion to develop intermediate range land based weapons and ordered both of his ministers to not initiate any further work on arms control.
Old 02-03-19, 05:48 AM   #6519
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ "In his meeting with Shoigu (MoD) and Lavrov (MfFA) Putin supported Shoigu's suggestion to develop intermediate range land based weapons and ordered both of his ministers to not initiate any further work on arms control. "

Oh i think Putin will need money for this.. and he has just recently raised the retirement age, a sign that the sanctions against Russia show some result.
"Putin supported.. " are you sure it is this way round ?
Like his (in)famous discussions with Russia's other .. president live on TV.

Fact is that Russia has already undermined this treaty for some time, so cancelling it only means that something obvious is now official, and the weapons industries will have a good time ahead.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-03-19, 06:10 AM   #6520
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ "In his meeting with Shoigu (MoD) and Lavrov (MfFA) Putin supported Shoigu's suggestion to develop intermediate range land based weapons and ordered both of his ministers to not initiate any further work on arms control. "

Oh i think Putin will need money for this.. and he has just recently raised the retirement age, a sign that the sanctions against Russia show some result.
"Putin supported.. " are you sure it is this way round ?
Like his (in)famous discussions with Russia's other .. president live on TV.

Fact is that Russia has already undermined this treaty for some time, so cancelling it only means that something obvious is now official, and the weapons industries will have a good time ahead.
The rearmament of Tochkas to Iskanders is nearly over, so the funding stream would be moved towards making new INF non compliant weapons by the same people.
Pension reform has been over a decade in the making, is driven by demographics and if anything is late. Unless US sanctions have some hidden retrospect affect on the Russian demographics I do not see how they are related to the reform.

Yes, it could be theatrics to illustrate the decisions mades.

There is no public evidence of the Russian INF non compliance that I am aware of. There are only US allegations. Note that there are also reasonable Russian allegations of the US INF and new START treaty non compliance, I have linked the document discussing the later above.
Old 02-03-19, 07:00 AM   #6521
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

And i thought Putin was running out of money to support his accomplices and the old, and funding arms build-up
I have to admit your campaigns to sow doubts and support destabilization everywhere from Trump to brexit have been successful, but they have not gone unnoticed.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-03-19, 08:18 AM   #6522
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
And i thought Putin was running out of money to support his accomplices and the old, and funding arms build-up
I have to admit your campaigns to sow doubts and support destabilization everywhere from Trump to brexit have been successful, but they have not gone unnoticed.
Ironically what you describe is more of a western campaighn to generate the cult of personality for Putin (the narrative that he is everywhere etc) vs what we are actually doing as a concerted state level effort.
Old 02-03-19, 08:25 AM   #6523
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am not in favor of dumping treaties and still am not sure that the President has the authority to unilaterally withdraw from a ratified treaty.

But, that being written, The INF treaty going away is not cause to start building fallout shelters or stocking up on suicide pills.

The INF treaty served a good and well defined purpose, 20-30 years ago. Technology has advanced to the point where both countries were well capable of killing massive amounts of people in the "intermediate" range without using the banned weapon systems.

It is not much of a concern for the US as we are outside of the "Intermediate" range from the people who don't like us. Russia does not have that advantage.

Banning specific types of weapon systems only by two parties made sense when only those two parties were stockpiling and deploying them. These days there are more than the original dance team on the floor. The INF treaty does not apply to them.

Imagine a local situation where you have two neighbors in a rural area who don't like each other.

Neighbor 1 and neighbor 2 agree that while they don't like each other, neither of them will stockpile machine guns.

Then you have a new neighbor who also hates both of you, but does not agree not to stockpile machine guns.

How would you feel about that? Well it might depend on whether you are in machine gun range of this new neighbor.

If we are going to attempt to ban a specific type of weapon, it should be banned by more than just two countries.

As drone and Cruise Missile technology continues to advance, the distinct ranges of missiles becomes more variable unlike the older ballistic missile technology.

Back in the ol days, rockets and missiles had design range bands. It made it easier to characterize and easier to document in a treaty. These days, fixed range bands overlap.

The days of characterizing rockets and missiles based on range bands may be obsolete.

In any case, the withdrawal from the INF treaty, regardless of the wisdom or legality of that withdrawal does not mean that the world is suddenly more likely to turn in to Fallout4.

We still have plenty of non Intermediate range weapon systems to make every in to a Supermutant.

If the INF treaty were to survive, it would have to be redefined to recognize the changes in weapon technology and the number of players. That was probably not going to happen.

I may not like the way the INF treaty is going away, but I am not especially fearful that it is going away.

Rest assured, that all sides still have the capability of killing people, regardless of the range, and after all, that's what's important.
Old 02-03-19, 09:09 AM   #6524
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

The issue with the way INF died is not the military balance in Europe (though deploying Pershing-III like weapons to Poland and Baltics would see to that) but the way it affects other arms control treaties. For example I do not see new-START staying alive after this.
Old 02-03-19, 09:41 AM   #6525
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
How dare an outsider actually try to fix things that we peons have been told can't be fixed. Prime example: "Those jobs aren't coming back, no siree."
Obama said "Some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back."
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter