SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-11, 12:51 PM   #136
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

That's what you need. I would like to have a WW2 subsim done right, just once.
Old 08-10-11, 01:13 PM   #137
[SJ]nailz
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That's what you need. I would like to have a WW2 subsim done right, just once.
Touché
[SJ]nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 02:46 PM   #138
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Please post a link. You give no indication of who said it or what his status is. The Ubi forum is a big place.
Don't you believe me then steve, it's Ubi SH5 forum, tech support.
Old 08-30-11, 12:34 PM   #139
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is this the new Silent Hunter 6
Old 09-15-11, 08:23 PM   #140
Solidsnake2234
Seaman

Downloads: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
If they push out a defective SH6, the same as SH4 and 5, then forget it! Either Ubi takes the time and delivers a quality product, or give me no product at all.
I've pretty much dismissed Ubisoft as competent in the simulator dept anyways.
What about IL-2? They did pretty good with that simulator series (besides IL-2 Wings of Prey)
Solidsnake2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 10:47 PM   #141
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake2234 View Post
What about IL-2? They did pretty good with that simulator series (besides IL-2 Wings of Prey)
That was over 8 years ago. Look at their new title (Cliffs of Dover) and despair.

It is also worth noting that Ubi had nothing to do with the development of IL-2 games. Those are developed and published in Russia by 1C, and licensed for distribution in the West by Ubisoft.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 10:05 AM   #142
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
That was over 8 years ago. Look at their new title (Cliffs of Dover) and despair.

It is also worth noting that Ubi had nothing to do with the development of IL-2 games. Those are developed and published in Russia by 1C, and licensed for distribution in the West by Ubisoft.
I share your despair on that one! Still, the latest Beta is a big improvement (especially in sound) and gives me hope, there's talk of an entire gfx engine overhaul in the works... fingers crossed!
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 12:48 PM   #143
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

I wish the last three installments of Silent Hunter had been done differently.
Three seperate silent hunter titles in 5 years was a mistake, each one realeased with its flaws, then ditched in favour of a sequel with improved visuals and a game engine overhaul.
Thats what you do with Action games, but not simulators.

They should have held out on SH3 and and just gone for ONE 'open ended' Silent hunter title - then contiue to develop the hell out it by taking it down the 'expansive sim' route (like IL2 or Railworks)
Its the obvious choice for Simulators since they sell well over a long time period, offer huge replay value, and the players are more concerned about of content than they are about aging graphics engines.

We could have had new Theratres of operation, ship packs, playable destroyers and god know what else. Plus they could spent more time on fixes also.
I know modders did great stuff for all three titles, but even their work would have benefited from not being scattered over three games.
Ubi could have cut alot of uncessary work out for the modders, especially for things like fixes.

Look at SHV, just getting a drivable Type 9 (to a similar standard to the ingame type 7 is monsterous task for any modder, not to mention the hours and hours of time needed from 3d artists.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 01:12 PM   #144
Cold_Gambler
Watch

Downloads: 2

If there were any follow-up to SH6 (I'm assuming we're in total Speculationland here) it would most likely be a '43-war's end game including IX variants and other types.

It probably wouldn't take much twisting of my arm to sell me a Destroyer Command II compatible with SH5...
THAT could be a lot of fun! Would really have some interesting multi-player possibilities too... Of course, to be realistic as the war went on it would get LESS rather than more difficult....
Cold_Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 12:03 AM   #145
Hans Uberman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My dream SH6:
  • Atlantic & Pacific campaigns either right off or via expansion pack. (German, U.S. subs, and maybe even some Japanese ones.)
  • No serious bugs. Release it when it's ready or near ready and continue to patch it.
  • No connection-required DRM
  • All the major model subs and variants. Not just a Type VII, but the IX, XXI, XXIII, etc... Also, if a sub variant has an improved crush depth, include it. No generic stats please.
  • Toggle option for subs that didn't see any action or were not built. (Type VIIC/42, etc...)
  • Multiplayer with decent netcode. Voice chat appreciated, but not required due to plenty of third party options. Include the ability to play on the same sub, or on different vessels.
  • Campaign editor
  • Built-in support for mods, and more developer assistance with modding. (Forum advice, etc...)
  • Ability to output career stats, and info on the crew to a .html file and official web site.
  • Proper thermal layers, active/passive sonar, and no obvious cheating on the part of the AI to get the job done. No "magic" hydrophones or sonar that let you or the enemy detect things through islands.
  • If a sub has a unique ability, include it. Creep motor on Type XXI, extra diesel engines on the Type IXD2, Schnelltauchback (Fast diving deck), etc...
  • Ability to save near land, ships and underwater without causing save file corruption.
  • Proper Type XIV "Milk cow" implementation. (Continue the same patrol once restocked.) Ability to off-load seriously injured crewmen, and get minor repairs due to replacement parts.
  • Anti-sub aircraft with acoustic torpedoes in late war. I'd curse their existence, but they were supposed to exist.
  • Show the men moving the torpedoes when utilizing external reloads.
  • Ability to walk around sub, but also the option to teleport to stations like the older games.
  • Rescuable/capturable ship crew, downed pilots, and option to drop them off on shore or at a port.
  • Let us see all the compartments in the ship.
  • Optional, but not required "Story mode" campaign featuring a bit more of the life of a Captain in and out of the boat. Dialog choices could influence procurement of extra weaponry or early upgrades, new crewmen, etc... They could include a rival captain to compete against, a romantic interest, insubordinate/panicked crewmen, etc... While resupplying at a Type XIV "Milk Cow", you could get news/chat with their captain, etc... As American or German captains, you could stop in town at the local pub/bar, and be reminded of the changing world at "home". News reels can be played to further certain events. Enemy propaganda broadcasts can be listened to while at sea.
  • Realism option for rare crew injuries between patrols. Man temporarily replaced due to broken leg while skiing or illness.
  • Built-in support for custom sub markings. (Emblems, picture in "cabin", etc...)
  • What you sink has at least some effect on the war. If you patrol a particular area all the time, they will increase their sweeps of the area for a while. If you sink the "Hood", Yamato, or Bismarck before they should be sunk, they will not appear later. (Comparable replacement vessels may eventually appear though.) I don't think I'd want to be able to change the final outcome of the conflict, but some level of change would be satisfying.
  • Biologics. Whales, dolphins, sharks, etc... This includes hearing them on hydrophones.
  • Built-in support for removal of deck gun(s).
  • More accurately modeled aircraft. No B-17s that can execute turns, and loops like a P-51.
  • Random battle events. Air battles, ship engagements, etc... Aircraft that come to your air sometimes if you're near a friendly airbase.
  • Wolfpack assaults on convoys with friendly AI subs.
  • Proper dive times, speeds, crush depths, ranges, battery life, for vessels.

So yes, I would love to see a SH6, but only if it wasn't a cash grab or rushed project, and actually offered us something worthwhile. Obviously, with the sub simulation market being so small, a product like the one I describe would never happen, but it's nice to dream.
Old 09-18-11, 01:23 AM   #146
TBear
Medic

Downloads: 27

wowser, well not sure i would call it SH 6 but i have a few things i would love.

MP. All mission data uploaded to a server where you can put in personal notes, and keep track on all who play the game, both sides.

A more mod friendly structure, maby with a "default" interior modders can use as place holders. kinda like

choose country (sets the txt on guages to set country)
Also give a default country based interior)

Torpedo tubes, ads or retracts the number of tubes for sais player made submarine.

Each player createt unit must be cleared by the server( no super ships)

High ranking members can create and give missions to other players (player controled BDU, IJN allied HQ`s) all run by rank.

No limit world map. All countrys if they are createt can be used.

More easy creation of ports and general terrain. Modular struture for implementing AI units. Create, upload server clearence online (would add loads of AI units fast, sea, air and ground.

Crew manegement ala SHcommander....... <--- me likez my crew lol

In all create a platform where the structure are set so it is easyer to add content (almost down to like CFS1 and 2) but where the server administrator can set the parameters of acceptence of units.

Burning sea, the ultimate WW2 submarine game.

Join a unit accept orders from high command.

Radio in for suply or enemy movement.

Launch recon planes or bomb targets while command the mighty I-400

Open user interface. Add units or countrys, command a Russian or Italian submarine

Easy to use modification tools that alows for player createt content to be implementet with only litle work.

Climp the ranks, end up as unit commander creating and sending out mission orders to your unit.

World map, only depth and range are the limit.

Add harbours and AI trafic, be apart of creating and evolve the world.

Play the missions online, ofline or as cooperative, after missionis complete you just click uploads and the mission details are showed on the map.

Difficulty. Choose how hard you will play the game. Choose from realistic to easy, it is about promotion points. Playing it easy will require more points to advance, playing it full blown realistic will alow for you to advance faster. Fot those who cant do the math, you can choose not to have manual shooting, but it will add a few more points to that flotilla desk.

Dynamic world, what you sink, you sink, you can change history

1 vs 1 submarine engagements

crew manegement. You are the commander, put your crew up for promotion, award them medals, send them on training. You are the commander, but your submarine are never better than its crew

You have the tools, do you have the nerve??

This is a simulator, you can overstress the engines, your crew can get sick. Use the option random failures, you might end up having to turn back, you might even have to leave your submarine, but this is the burning sea.

Join other players, your choise, your submarine, your torpedoes

well you get my idea lol

IJN rules, but peabody makes it float!

"TAKAO" Status: work in progress

Last edited by TBear; 09-18-11 at 01:51 AM.
TBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 08:38 AM   #147
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:

And that is the big problem..... " licensed for distribution in the West by Ubisoft."

UBI does nothing but srrew up anything they get their hands on these days because of their paranoia it will be pirated. They still haven't learnt it's been pirated before it hits the market, and even with their DRMs it will still be pirated.... even with keycodes. So they make it miserable for the rest of us that pay for a simulation we really look forward to but can't play they way it's intended to be played. IL-2 1946 was the last sim we can play without having to use Steam..... which I don't like one bit, but is forced on me.

It would be nice if Oleg and 1C would get away from UBI, and get someone else to publish their simulations when their contract is up with them. Then you see all the bitching stop..... hopefully.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 04:59 PM   #148
Solidsnake2234
Seaman

Downloads: 187

Quote:

Hmm...good point. Its still an awesome game. And when I say IL-2, I meant IL-2 1946.
Solidsnake2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 06:44 PM   #149
wingtip
A-ganger

Downloads: 10

I am fine with sticking with ww2 era but i want more mp fun like being able to have human player at the various stations, and human players being able to play as the surface ships ... talk about teamwork... big fun..
wingtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-12, 07:37 AM   #150
Denson
Seaman

Downloads: 7

I would say that if in some time, a Silent Hunter 6 has to be made

IT'S NOT BY UBISOFT

And i have the perfect studio to make it:
- They polish their games
- Fix bugs aka releases not much patches (Because the game is already good and fully beta tested by modders)
- They do sims and would like in near future make something new

And it's EGOSOFT

All i can say that from the first X game they released every sequel was better.
Most bugs fixed, new bugs also fixed by devs or modders because the game has an uber mod capabilities.
They listen the community - some mods (after testing they're compatible with each other) are regrouped in bonus packs and released as BUGFREE.

And now they understood, unlike UBI, that to fully use the new GFX tech multi core CPU, they had to go from scratch and they're not afraid to do it.

X Rebirth is a project they planned to make after a 5 year pause and make something completely new, but they changed their mind.
I think that after the last x game they could really try to make a subsim.

My 0,2 cents
Denson is offline   Reply With Quote