SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-12, 04:13 AM   #1
loppydog
Swabbie

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Sinking Japanese Submarines

Hi Guys,
Anybody got any tips on how to sink Japanese subs. On the odd occassion I have cornered one, I can hit the jap sub with multiple torpedos to no or very little effect. Surely they aren't so strong ?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Loppydog
loppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 06:46 AM   #2
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

They sink like rocks in TMO with 1 torp. What version/mods do u run?
Old 03-11-12, 07:18 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Can you give us a little more information on "no or little effect"?

Are you getting an explosion or are your torpedoes missing/duding out?

If you are getting a big boom, are you saying that the submarine does not sink?

Or are you referring to not getting credit for sinking the sub. That has happened to me many times. Now I no longer waste torps on enemy submarines.

I have missed/duded submarines and I have not received credit for sinking subs, but once there is the big boom, the sub usually "crash dives" really fast.
Old 03-11-12, 09:34 AM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Can you give us a little more information on "no or little effect"?

Are you getting an explosion or are your torpedoes missing/duding out?

If you are getting a big boom, are you saying that the submarine does not sink?

Or are you referring to not getting credit for sinking the sub. That has happened to me many times. Now I no longer waste torps on enemy submarines.

I have missed/duded submarines and I have not received credit for sinking subs, but once there is the big boom, the sub usually "crash dives" really fast.
In SH I, the Jap subs would crash dive to evade you. Then they would eventually surface then proceed on their way. They were preety hard to hit though.
Old 03-11-12, 06:05 PM   #5
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

I sank 3 out of 6 encountered thus far. Three, up and disappeared as I was trying to close the distance (still can't figure how I lost them), and three I sank, one for no credit. The three I sank were a "one torp, one kill" scenario.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 02:40 AM   #6
loppydog
Swabbie

Default Thanks

Firt of all, thanks every one for your replies. A particular scenario is catching a jap sub in a harbour, stationary. Hitting it from close range with 3 - 4 torps and not destroying it. I suppose it's as some of you said, not credited sinking them. The red ship icon doesn't change to show enemy destroyed. Seems like a few people have this trouble, waste of ammunition, dissappointing.
Thanks again everyone
Old 03-12-12, 04:07 AM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppydog View Post
Firt of all, thanks every one for your replies. A particular scenario is catching a jap sub in a harbour, stationary. Hitting it from close range with 3 - 4 torps and not destroying it. I suppose it's as some of you said, not credited sinking them. The red ship icon doesn't change to show enemy destroyed. Seems like a few people have this trouble, waste of ammunition, dissappointing.
Thanks again everyone
Are you playing the stock game? I do know the stock game places a Sen Toku sub at some ports but it is not playable or an AI. It can't move it won't sink, it just sits there. So if you are playing stock that may be what you see.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 01:51 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

What Pea said....

Most supermods have Jap and German subs roaming the seas that you can attack and sink, stock doesn't, only the Sen and midget subs at port that don't sink....stock sucks.

There is a mod that adds the Sen Toku, but you would have to add it in the traffic to sink it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 03:24 PM   #9
loppydog
Swabbie

Thanks again

Armistead and Peabody
You guys hit the nail on the head. I'm just playing the stock game so I guess I'm just whacking torpedos into an unplayable sub. I'll have to try some mods to move this on. Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-12, 04:29 PM   #10
jtdude100
Watch

Downloads: 3

this is what you need:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=137591

i downloaded it. it works for jap subs adn makes them move and they can be destoryed but it does not work with the minisubs as afar as i know
jtdude100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 03:06 AM   #11
denny927
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 213

well, only one, in the middle of the night, near surabaya, starting february 1942.After a very quickly torpedo setup, 1800 japanese steel tons was in flames and fire....kaboooom

only one thing, I dont know if somethin wrong here, but in my captains log was confirmed the kill, but in the end of patrol, no trace of that kill in the port office..anyone can confirm this?

thanks...
System Specs:CASE CM 690 NVIDIA, Gigabyte G1 sniper m3 Intel 3570k 3.4GHz, NVIDIA GTX 770 2 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3 MUSHKIN 1600 Mhz, 3 HD(120, 250, 500 GB), PSU 700W COOLER MASTER ULTIMATE, MONITOR LG 27" FULL HD, TWO SPEAKER LG X230 2.1.
denny927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jap subs, japanese, japanese subs, sinking subs