SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-15, 04:11 PM   #106
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Say what you will about Peter Jacksons films, but his enthusiasm for the First World War is unparalleled. I hope it will transfer to his Dambusters film whenever it is released.

His Gallipoli diorama:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11442988
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 11:36 AM   #107
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Not sure if this has been posted already
this channel is doing a week by week report of what happened 100 years ago just like what Steve and Jim are doing in the ''100 years ago today'' day by day thread.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/featured

Well worth the watch

Last edited by HunterICX; 05-12-15 at 11:42 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 02:06 PM   #108
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
this channel is doing a week by week report of what happened 100 years ago just like what Steve and Jim are doing in the ''100 years ago today'' day by day thread.

Well worth the watch
Duly subscribed, thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-13-15, 07:06 AM   #109
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post

Well worth the watch
Nice one Wim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 03:38 PM   #110
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

yea a great link, I'm listening to several episode every evening. This to catch up.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 01:08 AM   #111
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 08:02 AM   #112
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Nuthin' good goes outta style BBY!

^These two did it at Gettysburg in the Civil War...where WWI got invented IMHO: (trench warfare; balloon observation; use of troop trains; miserable- slaughter infantry tactics; huge land mines; POW death camps, breechloading repeater rifles and the revolving turret...too bad about the Gatling gun not actually being used! we fixed that in Iraq on 'Warthogs' arguably a post-colonial WWI British SNAFU!!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 09:30 AM   #113
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

One hundred years ago today U-19, commanded by Constantin Kolbe, attacked the Royal Navy trawler HMT Cameo. I have it recorded in the '100 Years' thread, but something about this strikes me as very odd. According to the dates given in www.uboat.net this would be Kolbe's third and last war patrol in U-19, yet he commanded that boat for another eight months. It was his only attack during this patrol, and it was unsuccessful.

I've searched every source I can find, and none of my questions are answered. Why were there no more attacks on this patrol? Was the U-boat damaged in the attack? Why were there no more patrols in those eight months? None of it is really important, but I hate gaps in the information and unanswered questions.
Old 07-16-15, 10:36 AM   #114
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default very confusing & SCANTY indeed

Quote:
this would be Kolbe's third and last war patrol in U-19, yet he commanded that boat for another eight months. It was his only attack during this patrol, and it was unsuccessful.
Kolbe command of SM U-19 ended 3/15/1916 U-19 WAR ACTIVITY FROM VERBATIM ROMM 40 TANSCRIPTS: The patrol from July 14-July 19 to Fair Island in the Shetlands encompasses the date of the trawler Cameo attack. Apparently Kolbe made three more patrols in September, October and November of 1915...not his last patrol aboard U-19 then? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-19_(Germany) U-19 second from right; U-19 deck gun now at Bangor Co Down WARD PARK http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=features&file=view&art id=4982 NOTE PLAQUE PHOTOS

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-15, 11:29 AM   #115
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

That does help some, but it raises even more questions. This patrol only lasted five days, and that reference doesn't mention the attack on Cameo. It does list three more patrols for him in U-19, but it only gives specific dates for one. Given his previous success I'm even more confused over three patrols without even meeting an enemy ship.
Old 08-31-15, 01:48 PM   #116
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

The Controversy:

The world's first ace, French pilot Adolphe Pègoud, was shot down and killed on August 31, 1915, while attacking a German two-seater. The pilot is variously listed as Walter Kandulski or Otto Kandulski, and the observer who did the shooting as Julius Bielitz, Bilitz or Pilitz. Supposedly Kandulski was shot down and killed some time later (dates vary from "two weeks later" to May 18, 1916), by French pilot Roger Paul Ronserail. Ronserail became famous as "Le Vengeur de Pègoud".

There is an ongoing controversy at The Aerodrome website involving the exact circumstances of Kandulski's death, with posters claiming to be the grandsons of Kandulski and Ronserail telling different stories. Kandulski's grandson says that his grandfather was Walter and that he survived the war. Ronserail's grandson says that the German pilot was Otto Kandulski, not Walter, and that he was indeed shot down and killed. One possible resolution is a post showing the discovery of a log book by Walter Kandulski with an entry stating that it was he who brought Pegoud down. This same poster says that he has searched the original German records and there is no listing for an Otto Kandulski at all.
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43775
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...t=38089&page=2

Ronserail's grandson also claims that his grandfather was an ace with seven victories, but the Aerodrome 'Aces' section doesn't list him at all, and I can find no record of a victory list for him.

Is it possible that the whole thing was fabricated by French newspapers? I hesitate to make that claim in the face of a man claiming to be descended from Ronserail, but it seems to be a possibility.
Old 08-31-15, 02:07 PM   #117
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Kandulski, one of them at least, was also Pegouds student pre-war, so I hear.
Old 08-31-15, 02:15 PM   #118
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
So "they" say.
Old 08-31-15, 02:17 PM   #119
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1036

Quote:
Adolphe Pégoud, French aviator & 1st fighter ace in history, is shot down and killed by his prewar German student.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 12:53 PM   #120
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
January 17, 1916:

Air War:
English pilot Frederick Powell, flying FE.8 7457, shoots down an Aviatik 2-seater for kill number 3.
This was another interesting chase for me. I was confused by the statement in other sources that the first FE.8s didn't enter service until August 1916. It turned out that the two prototypes, 7456 and 7457, were being tested in December 1915. Number 7456 was wrecked in a crash, but eventually rebuilt, while 7457 was sent to No. 5 Squadron in France for testing. The squadron had several Vickers FB.5 Gunbuses on hand, one of which gave Powell his first two kills, but this was the first single-seat pusher any of them had ever seen. Powell was assigned 7457 as his regular aircraft, and liked it so much that at one point refused leave to prevent anyone else from flying "his" airplane.

So it happened that several kills were scored in an FE.8 several months before the plane was officially in service.