SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-17, 11:53 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Could someone direct me to this file please

I'd like to make it where can send contact reports at periscope depth.which files control this ? Always bothered me have to be at 36 feet or less in game.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-17, 12:37 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

That's a great question, one I'd like to know the answer to that myself. But I'm afraid the answer may be one we don't like.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-17, 01:16 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Bubblehead speak with silver tongue.

Yeah, we're currently fooling around with SJ radar;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=230804

And the radio transmit is probably affected by the same thing. In real life you wouldn't be able to receive either without the antenna sticking up above the surface (in WW2 that is, modern subs have a VLF gadget) but the game ignores that and you receive messages submerged anyway.

This mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=169

Doesn't work for the SJ radar, but it might possibly work for radio transmissions with some hacking.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-17, 01:21 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Just noticed the OP's name "Bubblehead1980", were you a real life submariner too?
Old 04-14-17, 01:31 PM   #5
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Well to further this cause here's some information I've managed to collect regarding when you can no longer transmit messages.

S-18: 30ft
S-42: 30ft
Porpoise: 41ft
Salmon: 39ft
Sargo: 39ft
Tambor: 38ft
Gar: 38ft
Gato: 39ft
Balao: 39ft

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 04-14-17, 02:53 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Just noticed the OP's name "Bubblehead1980", were you a real life submariner too?

Nope, just chose this handle when signed up for subsim way back when.
Old 04-14-17, 03:03 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Well to further this cause here's some information I've managed to collect regarding when you can no longer transmit messages.

Yes, wish knew which files to edit in the game to change it.Would change it where can send when at scope depth, as would be able to in RL.
Old 04-14-17, 10:28 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Ah. Wondered cause I was an Aviation ASW tech and drank with quite a few bubbleheads at AUTEC training back in 1980.

Front row 7th from left is me in 1981, USS America CV-66

As for the radio, like I said the only option I see is try that SD radar antenna mod, see if you can hack that Sensors_sub_US.sim file to work for the radio antenna.
Old 04-15-17, 09:12 AM   #9
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Ah. Wondered cause I was an Aviation ASW tech and drank with quite a few bubbleheads at AUTEC training back in 1980.
Front row 7th from left is me in 1981, USS America CV-66

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 06:10 PM   #10
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

An update to my above post about the depths:
Quote:
Tench: 39ft
Skipjack: 32ft
Permit: 32ft
Ohio: 52ft
Sturgeon: 32ft
This new data seems to allude to the possibility of adjusting "comms depth" if you will. I mean just look at the Ohio, 52ft! Bear in mind the Skipjack and Permit there were based off of my Newsub template which was in turn based off of the Balao. The Ohio was based off of the S Class.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 04-17-17, 11:23 AM   #11
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Ok think I've got this figured out now, and the news is kinda disappointing. I kept testing various mods to collect more data on when you are considered "submerged." I noticed that the depth at which you are kicked out of the bridge down to the control room coincides with your loss of comms. Initially I focused my efforts around searching for a node in the conning tower files, changing node positions and seeing no behavior change in game. Looked at everything related to ships draft, surfaced and submerged, nothing changed. Then I noticed that when the decks were awash in the mods I tested that's when you lost comms and were considered submerged. As a side note, that's also the depth in which you switch propulsion over. I tried out the GUPPY 3 mod and there was a change. The decks were awash, but nothing happened until the PUFFS receivers were underwater. Turns out the game uses the 3d model of the hull to determine when you are "submerged." I tested this out with the stock units starting with the S class. At 30ft I was marked submerged just as the parts pertaining to the radio loop antennas went underwater. Tried again with another class, the Balao this time. At 39ft it was the flagstaff back aft that stood the highest on the model. Not satisfied I tried again with a mod I'm working on. I cloned the 3d model in a 3d editor and separated the models but exporting them both. When brought into the game the result was a "submerged" depth of 130ft!

Now with all this information I'm going to see if I can't trick the game into thinking that periscope depth for one of my nuc boats will work, by placing a single vertex at a predetermined point.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 04-17-17, 12:54 PM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Ok think I've got this figured out now, and the news is kinda disappointing. I kept testing various mods to collect more data on when you are considered "submerged." I noticed that the depth at which you are kicked out of the bridge down to the control room coincides with your loss of comms. Initially I focused my efforts around searching for a node in the conning tower files, changing node positions and seeing no behavior change in game. Looked at everything related to ships draft, surfaced and submerged, nothing changed. Then I noticed that when the decks were awash in the mods I tested that's when you lost comms and were considered submerged. As a side note, that's also the depth in which you switch propulsion over. I tried out the GUPPY 3 mod and there was a change. The decks were awash, but nothing happened until the PUFFS receivers were underwater. Turns out the game uses the 3d model of the hull to determine when you are "submerged." I tested this out with the stock units starting with the S class. At 30ft I was marked submerged just as the parts pertaining to the radio loop antennas went underwater. Tried again with another class, the Balao this time. At 39ft it was the flagstaff back aft that stood the highest on the model. Not satisfied I tried again with a mod I'm working on. I cloned the 3d model in a 3d editor and separated the models but exporting them both. When brought into the game the result was a "submerged" depth of 130ft!

Now with all this information I'm going to see if I can't trick the game into thinking that periscope depth for one of my nuc boats will work, by placing a single vertex at a predetermined point.

Great work.

I often shake my head at what the people who created this sim were thinking, irritates me to say the least. Thankful for the subsim community, saved this sim and 10 years out still a great thing.