Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-17, 10:05 AM   #16
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The wife and I occasionally disagree on which one of us gives in the quickest and I readily admit it is usually me.
What kind of tricks can your wife get you to do for a bottle of beer?

He used to drink Newcastle, but now he goes crazy for a Bowser.
Old 03-16-17, 10:10 AM   #17
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
You enjoy your lobsters but please kill them before boiling them. You can google how to kill them humanely.
Yeah I did. It involves freezing them to death or at least making them hypothermic enough that they loose consciousness. A process that can take almost a half an hour assuming that you have sufficient ice/refrigeration available for the deed.

Two problems with that.

First, how do we know that this slow and lingering death is any less painful/upsetting to the bug than a relatively quick dispatch in the cooking pot?

Second how would that work at restaurants where you pick out the lobster you're going to eat from the holding tank? Do you think anyone is going to be ok with waiting an extra half hour to slowly kill the thing before the cooking even gets started?

Quote:
They are not just lobsters, they are you too August...even when the sentence doesn't make sense to you.
I understand the theory but i'm sorry I just find the whole idea ridiculous.

Lobsters are a source of food for me, no more no less. You think a fish cares about the lobsters pain when it begins to eat them? Does the lion care about the gazelle feelings or the wolf care about the lamb? No they will merrily rip their prey apart while it is still bleating and struggling. So please don't tell me that we are all one when no other creature in nature is expected to be so considerate to their dinner.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 10:13 AM   #18
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Wait? Are we talkin' lobsters or lobstahs

I used my cah to go down to the stowah to get some fresh lobsta but all they had left were cohawgs and flowndah.

Old 03-16-17, 10:21 AM   #19
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Old 03-16-17, 12:43 PM   #20
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon9 PC lobster executions

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

I used my cah to go down to the stowah to get some fresh lobsta but all they had left were cohawgs and flowndah.
How come they don't spell it: Maßachusetts anyhow? ( my wife's from there) My inlaws have very strange western-Maß accents! or as I indelicately put it with a sudden lisp: 'they're all real Athols!'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
You enjoy your lobsters but please kill them before boiling them. You can google how to kill them humanely. It's more difficult to kill a crab humanely though.
Upon review: ...and my wife being a boil 'em alive lobster fanatic; I agree with Castout. I often guarded Red Lobster chain restaurants during all-night repair/remodel jobs and 'walkout (stiff-the- tab) prevention' but won't eat there. The live lobster tank is an abomination imho and way too pricey. I've also SCUBA'd for Spiney Lobster often at night 100' deep off St. Nicholas Island. and the Channel Islands at night using a sneaky red lens dive light. They're as big as Chihuahuas-and really fast!
Quote:
Contrary to claims made by seafood sellers, lobsters do feel pain, and they suffer immensely when they are cut, broiled, or boiled alive. Anyone who has ever boiled a lobster alive can attest that, when dropped into scalding water, lobsters whip their bodies wildly and scrape the sides of the pot in a desperate attempt to escape.
Most scientists agree that a lobster’s nervous system is quite sophisticated. For example, neurobiologist Tom Abrams says lobsters have “a full array of senses.” Jelle Atema, a marine biologist at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Mass., and one of the country’s leading experts on lobsters, says, “I personally believe they do feel pain.”
Lobsters may even feel more pain than we would in similar situations. One popular food magazine recently suggested cutting live lobsters in half before tossing them on the grill (a recipe that’s “not for the squeamish
Henceforth, at my new kitchen: There are several ways to accomplish this. Putting the lobster in the freezer an hour before cooking will do the trick. Quicker yet is to plunge the tip of a sharp knife straight down right behind the lobster's eyes. Then there's the latest for any guilt-free carnivore at only $3500 : the British-made crustastun! http://www.coolthings.com/crustastun-single-stunner-an-electric-lobster-taser/ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719544/How-kill-lobster-not-feel-guilty-Barrister-invents-Crustastun-machine-electrocutes-death-110-volt-shock.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-16-17 at 01:28 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 02:20 PM   #21
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Well you guys follow your own consciences, but I'm a carnivore that is completely guilt free dispatching lobsters the old way.

Re Maßachusetts: We don't do umlauts or other weird German letters but we do however (usually) answer to the name "Mass hole".

Old 03-16-17, 03:31 PM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Re Maßachusetts: We don't do umlauts or other weird German letters but we do however (usually) answer to the name "Mass hole".
NO NO! In this case the inlaws really R from Athol MAß! the home of Starrett Tools no less!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-16-17, 05:10 PM   #23
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am convinced, through unscientific methods, that dogs understand more of our language then they have the ability to respond to. I am also convinced that dogs communicate much more non-verbally then we have the ability to respond to.

I am grateful that my dogs are more patient with my inability to understand them then I am with their not understanding me.
Old 03-16-17, 05:49 PM   #24
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I think it's their ability to smell emotions.

Old 03-16-17, 05:53 PM   #25
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Yeah I did. It involves freezing them to death or at least making them hypothermic enough that they loose consciousness. A process that can take almost a half an hour assuming that you have sufficient ice/refrigeration available for the deed.

Two problems with that.

First, how do we know that this slow and lingering death is any less painful/upsetting to the bug than a relatively quick dispatch in the cooking pot?

Second how would that work at restaurants where you pick out the lobster you're going to eat from the holding tank? Do you think anyone is going to be ok with waiting an extra half hour to slowly kill the thing before the cooking even gets started?

I understand the theory but i'm sorry I just find the whole idea ridiculous.

Lobsters are a source of food for me, no more no less. You think a fish cares about the lobsters pain when it begins to eat them? Does the lion care about the gazelle feelings or the wolf care about the lamb? No they will merrily rip their prey apart while it is still bleating and struggling. So please don't tell me that we are all one when no other creature in nature is expected to be so considerate to their dinner.
Just severing their nervous system(s) should be enough. A little pain is still much better than prolonged pain of being boiled alive or dismembered.

For lobsters it's the head, for crabs, there are two points which should be struck. They die quickly. Ideally before striking they should be iced but even when not it's still better than boiling them alive or dismembering them without touching the nervous system(s).

This should be done because
1. They are sentient despite our common ignorance
2. Non-duality is the only reality. Thus, we ought to avoid inflicting nightmare to others even animals.

Last edited by Castout; 03-16-17 at 09:17 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 08:39 AM   #26
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

Based on 30+ years as a dog owner, I think dogs definitely understand a lot of our "language" including words, tone, body posture, etc.

I am convinced my cats understand every word I say exactly, they just don't give a $#!^.

Mike
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 03:45 PM   #27
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Don't that kinda remind you of that creature in Ice Age ??

Am I late in noticing this?
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 03:53 PM   #28
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

[QUOTE ]Am I late in noticing this? [/QUOTE] At our age...'late' is a word to B avoided!

Old 03-17-17, 04:05 PM   #29
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
[QUOTE ]Am I late in noticing this?
At our age...'late' is a word to B avoided![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

At our age I'm too slow to avoid anything mate I can't even quote stuff correctly
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote