SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-16, 02:06 AM   #1
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Two-way Firewalls

I've been thinking for a long time that I'd like a protection package which includes a 2-way firewall. I understand that Kaspersky provide this, but I want to know: is it included in their regular 'Internet Protection' (it's not specifically listed when you examine their ads) or would I need to get Kaspersky "Pure"?

Also, once I've got a 2-way firewall, do I have to set up a whole lot of protocols for it myself?
Old 09-26-16, 02:02 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Okay, so a basic 1-way firewall, like Windows Firewall filters websites from being able to access your network. Basically you have to open up a hole for them to crawl through and they're supposed to be locked out otherwise.

A two-way firewall gives a second level of protection. If a rogue program were to squirrel its way onto your machine, their typical behavior is to call home and say "installed and ready for instructions." A two-way firewall only lets those programs you authorize have Internet access. Unless you specifically give them clearance, the bad guy can get on your machine, but because it can't call home for instructions it's just frozen in place, unable to hurt you. This would shut down keyloggers, data scrapers, botnets, etc.

The theory behind the 1-way firewall is that these leeches can't get on your machine because they're locked out. The theory behind the 2-way firewall is that you're the most feared virus on your machine, and if the bad guy gets on your machine they're locked IN.

Zone Alarm is a well-known 2-way firewall and it's good enough for most. Comodo used to be good but this firewall is a piece of spyware and adware itself nowdays. If you're behind a router you already have a hardware two-way firewall in place.

So it's really your choice how far you feel you need to go. I ran for over a year with no software firewall at all and had no infestations because of my hardware firewall. But now I run Zone Alarm on my Windows installation and no firewall on my Linux installation.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-16, 04:57 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

And I add another perspective. These security titles need, necessarily, deep-rooting system rights themselves, to tune the things and unleash the Gremlins of the Light so that they can filter traffic and sort bad buggers out and protect your system. Malware found it increaisngly hard to penetrate through this, and so its authors have come up with another method since a couple of years. That is: if you cannot get your malware onto a system and cannot attack the system, then attack the guardian that has the keys. This way, security software has become a risk in itself - right because it must have such deep rooting system rights.

This is especially true on systems where there is a strict separation between Administrator and User accounts.

You here have the reason why some of the big knowing guys of the matter say that this kind of firewall and scanner software today has become pointless, at least has lost in relevance.

So, do not spend too much tiem and money on these things anymore. Money is okay if it is within a reaosnable ammount, but do not lose sleep over it. Better protection is to store your sensitive data externally and not o your HD, have a better OS than Windows, ban things like autoscripts, Java RTE and such, and practice selfrestraint when surfing, be choosy with the sites you visit - the less sites you visit, the smaller the risk you expose yourself to a threat.

And really, consider to get rid of Windows. There is no point in criticising Explorer all the years, while accepting Windows. Explorer/Edge functionality is deeply embedded into Windows and gets used by your system for internal background tasks even if you do not run Explorer/Edge manually yourself for surfing.

I do not say: use no AV and Firewall, I even still would say get a good commercial package (if you run Windows). But do not spend to much of your lifetime with this security stuff - and do not think you are safe just because you use these softwares, and now have a fool's freedom to do strange things when surfing.
Old 09-27-16, 11:42 PM   #4
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Thanks very much, guys... those replies were very useful