SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-16, 03:45 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

SHO R.I.P. Internet Explorer: The Rise and Fall of a Browsing Empire

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...f-an-empi.html

Man, how the mighty have fallen.

Quote:
All good things come to an end. And even though it’s been a while since Internet Explorer could be called a good thing, it’s worth looking back at the highs and lows of browser’s history.

In case you haven’t heard, Microsoft is indeed veering away from the Internet Explorer browser in its new forthcoming operating system Windows 10 in favor of a renamed and reimagined browser that is hoped to shake off the stigma that the browser has carried for a long time.

For 20 years, Internet Explorer has existed and at one time reigned supreme for internet users, accounting for a sizeable chunk of browser market share in the ‘90s and early ‘00s, so what how did it go from hero to zero?
Old 09-13-16, 05:24 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Article is a year-and-a-half old. So old, in fact, that they didn't even know what the new browser would be called yet. Win10 has been out for a long time now, and Microsoft Edge with it. I've since gone back to 8.1 and IE, which seems to still work fine.
Old 09-13-16, 05:39 AM   #3
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Prob with using 8.1 is that even though it is relatively simple and for the most part bug free, there are a lot of new websites that "gag" on it because it doesn't support all their new features. That's why I can't go with it either.

edit> At the moment I'm using 11.0, but I've run into issues lately where the webpage(s) on some site want to prematurely close the page when I have clicked on an internal link within their front page to go somewhere else on their site. I get some sort of pop-up about closing the browser and can not X out of it without the browser indeed closing. I am presuming that is a problem mostly within the browser itself and not the webpage though I could be wrong. For instance this happens to me quite frequently on accuweather.com when I switch to my local area and then click on "hourly"... bang I'm out and have to reload the page and try again.

So I'm kind of looking around for a suitable replacement non Microsoft browser since they seem to be behind the curve instead of ahead of it like they used to be

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 09-24-16 at 10:32 PM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:46 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Guys, use Firefox, seal it up, control autoscripts, and then
Ghostery, NoScript and Better_Privacy as addons.

When stuff comes from Microsoft, they lie about it if there is a chance you might not like what they say, and completely profile you, you cannot switch it off. When it comes from Google, you get sold, profiled, and again you cannot switch it off. I know the nice buttons they have added there . They are not as functional as you believe. Dummy-switches, so to speak.

Also avoid products from Adobe.

Those using older versions of Windows: SWITCH OFF Windows upgrades. From next month, you are no longe i n control of updates on lower Windows versions as well,, they have reversely put so much W10 tech into W7 now, that it does the same mean tricks and bad stuff than W10 itself - you get cumulative updates now, enforced and without chance to refuse them or to choose between them. That means you must swallow all the broken updates harming your mahcine as well. And you ust wait until the next cimultive update for hotfixes. And you cannot refuse more spyware beign installed on your system under intentionally misleading claims and descriptions. Oh, and most patch descriptions will no longer be given anyway.

The mighty have not "fallen", Neal, and they were not brought down by somebody else. Microsoft ruined its market for browsers and OS all by itself. They ignored Firefox for too long and did not react with according security and privacy features, and they intentionally designed W8 and W10 to be what they are. The fall is all home-made.

And always remember that Microsoft must operate under US laws. You can take it for granted that data colelcted form you NEVER will be deleted, and will find its way to government offices if they ever decide to turn against you in some matter they deem to be justifying it. Woody and me agreed on that most likely the NSA secret society has demanded Microsoft to build all these enforced backdoors and data gathering features into it. Mind you also it is official NSA policy to enforce that it can access any existing computer system, private business and government alike, whenever it wants, whereever it wants. The secret courts there are can enforce compliance of MS and other such companies. They can also enforce that silence is kept over it.

If you want to defend your privacy, do not accept software options by American companies, but find non-American and open source alternatives. Avoid what falls under US law's jurisdiction.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-13-16 at 05:56 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:57 AM   #5
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
<snip>

The mighty have not "fallen", Neal, and they were not brought down by somebody else. Microsoft ruined its market for browsers and OS all by itself. They ignored Firefox for too long and did not react with according security and privacy features, and they intentionally designed W8 and W10 to be what they are. The fall is all home-made.
I can totally agree with this statement. I remember when they deliberately ruined the chances for Netscape by making their brower "free" in their Windows installation package.

LOL, The payback was really funny when Oracle (which absorbed Netscape if I'm not mistaken) released and supported the free public domain "Open Office" suite of products supplanting Microsoft's second most profitable line of "Office" products. I still use Open Office to this day.

edit> I think I'll take a look at Firefox... Thanks for the tip

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 09-24-16 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 05:59 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I can totally agree with this statement. I remember when they deliberately ruined the chances for Netscape by making their brower "free" in their Windows installation package.

LOL, The payback was really funny when Oracle (which absorbed Netscape if I'm not mistaken) released and supported the free public domain "Open Office" suite of products supplanting Microsoft's second most profitable line of "Office" products. I still use Open Office to this day.
Libre Office also is a good alternative. I use it myself now. I find it easier in it to find a function that I want.
Old 09-13-16, 06:22 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Article is a year-and-a-half old. So old, in fact, that they didn't even know what the new browser would be called yet. Win10 has been out for a long time now, and Microsoft Edge with it. I've since gone back to 8.1 and IE, which seems to still work fine.
Yes, IE is even deader today.
Old 09-13-16, 06:28 AM   #8
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Guys, use Firefox, seal it up, control autoscripts, and then Ghostery, NoScript and Better_Privacy as addons.

<snip>
Okay, that was "easy" to paraphrase Staples, LOL

Using FireFox now...

How do you go about setting the other items mentioned above?

If no one objects please explain it here for maybe their benefit, otherwise a PM will do for me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 09-24-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 06:36 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

He should explain that in a PM
Old 09-14-16, 05:29 PM   #10
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Open again, my mistake.
Old 09-16-16, 05:26 AM   #11
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

My advice Blitzkrieg is to discuss that via PM with Neal himself, this topic has been reopened to continue the discussion related to Internet Explorer not how things are moderated around here.

---

I haven't been using IE for years, always went straight for FireFox with no script addon to avoid these ambush scripts that dump malware onto my PC via advertisements and pop ups.

Shame it never caught on or wanted to adapt to what browsers should be today but then again Microsoft has changed a lot and I find them seeminlgy care less for what a PC (Personal Computer) stand for and all want you to do their bidding.
Old 09-16-16, 07:02 AM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
My advice Blitzkrieg is to discuss that via PM with Neal himself, this topic has been reopened to continue the discussion related to Internet Explorer not how things are moderated around here.

---

I haven't been using IE for years, always went straight for FireFox with no script addon to avoid these ambush scripts that dump malware onto my PC via advertisements and pop ups.

Shame it never caught on or wanted to adapt to what browsers should be today but then again Microsoft has changed a lot and I find them seeminlgy care less for what a PC (Personal Computer) stand for and all want you to do their bidding.
Yeah, MS has really lost its focus. They dropped the ball on browsers, missed out completely on search, and whiffed on social networking and the mobile explosion.
Old 09-20-16, 08:52 AM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Actually, although you don't see an icon for IE on your desktop it is alive and well in that crippled, ugly cell phone application called Edge. IE code is still on your PC and Edge uses IE routines as a toybox for what it does.

Edge is nothing but IE with a hobbled, mangled and dysfunctional front end. And considering how bad IE is, that is scary.

I've been a Firefox guy forever. I keep Chrome on my machine as a backup browser. ALWAYS have a backup browser on your machine. When one browser breaks you still have access to the Internet to fix it. I work on too many machines that depended only on IE and lost Internet access. They then lost the ability to download the solution. Don't be that guy.

Firefox is also extensible. Select add-ons from your tools menu and it will lead you by the hand.

So IE is not dead. It is in hiding, working behind the scenes as a secret agent.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 12:29 PM   #14
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

For the short time I used Windows 10, I too used IE 11. It wasn't really hard to find but it was there with all of my links still intact. And that was from my local MS store upgrading 8.1 to 10 "without my permission". I cloned 10 to another HDD and they rolled back my original 8.1 to 10 back to 8.1.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 10:48 PM   #15
Gray Lensman
Frogman

My experience with Firefox, just began recently as noted in an earlier post above, and I must say that even at first without using any of the aforementioned add-ons, that it is WAY better than MS Internet Explorer. It's not so 'pretty' so to speak, but its operation is so much more smooth on every web site I visit, I could kick myself for not checking it out earlier. After about 3 days usage, I designated it my default browser.

Kinda makes me think that this is how Netscape might have evolved if MS had not sabotaged its usage.

Tags
browser, internet explorer