SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-16, 04:58 AM   #16
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Still having upper back pain that's why I'm slow in testing the the two offices. I did check out what they offered in he way of free templates and open office looked like they had more but you can only see a small image unlike LibraOffice which had other issues. I found DL theres you had to go though a couple of more links each time and some older templates there was a warning they will not run on the new LO version.

Any luck I will be testing both WORD ones out over the weekend.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 02:55 AM   #17
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Again, I am really late in posting this here, but I thought I would because the information is relevant, and may prove useful to others in the future...

OpenOffice.org is "defunct" (last version was 3.3), it is not updated anymore... the two succeeding "forks" are:

Apache Open Office (hosted at OpenOffice.org's address https://www.openoffice.org/), and LibreOffice (hosted at https://www.libreoffice.org/).

I've used all three of these (last MS office I liked was '97). In some ways Apache is "true to form" of OpenOffice.org, other ways LibreOffice is more "true to form".

Like STEED, I did have a few issues using AOO, but I was still on XP.

I tried LibreOffice, and didn't have any troubles so I've stayed with it.
I still have older versions of OpenOffice.org (ver 2.3 or 2.6) and I tried it "side by side" when I was still dual-booting my last PC, and over-all I found LibreOffice to be "closer".

AOO's design/flow was very much OO.org, but a few things were 'off' which, when I was building spread sheets (transmission/axle gear ratios/ tire size/rpm @ speed/etc for an upcoming gear swap in my car) really slowed me down. I knew what I wanted to do, but had trouble finding it, LibreOffice, those menu items were in the same locations as OpenOffice.org.

I tried locating AOO in the Fedora 24 repos so I could give it another test, but I can't find it, that may be a Fedora issue, or it maybe a KDE issue. (KDE has it own office suite, Caligra.)

If you are using Apache and like it, then I would say stick with it. If you are looking for a Free 'Office' program... try both.

Rather than link all 3 wikipedia pages, I figured I would just link to a picture which gives a good 'run-down' of the varios "Office" versions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreO...erivatives.svg

Both Apache and Libre start off from OpenOffice.org's version 3.3, but Libre is up to ver 5.2, and Apache is ver 4.1.
I'm not sure if Libre took longer to fix bugs, or they simply roll out a new version when they get a few fixed, rather than wait. I haven't followed both of them that closely.

All things considered, I would still rather have OpenOffice.org and be good to go!

Barracuda

P.S. Admin, feel free to blast the usual "reviving old/dead threads" comments.
I'm waiting for them to come out eventually, might as well get it out of the way.

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 09-26-16 at 12:02 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-16, 09:20 AM   #18
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I didn't know about LibreOffice. I'll look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
P.S. Admin, feel free to blast the usual "reviving old/dead threads" comments.
I'm waiting for them to come out eventually, might as well get it out of the way.
Sorry, but four months is neither "old" nor "dead". The problem comes when people revive threads that several years gone and buried.
Old 09-25-16, 10:18 AM   #19
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Office 2003 is still perfectly ok, and imho there is no need to go to another version. Especially after Office 2007 the menues become completely unlogical and cluttered, and UGLY.

Only disadvantage would be reading documents which have been created using Office 2010 or higher with the *.docx type, since those cannot be read by the older Office version. But there are workarounds and converters.

There is also Open Office for free, by Sun. You can download it at the usual places, and it is completely legal. But it is HUGE and takes some time to dl...
Rgr that....Office 2007 here since its release and no complaints.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote