Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-19, 03:14 PM   #1
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0
Default Convoy hunt and patrolling assigned area

Hello captains,

So in terms of game, as far as I know, once you get in the assigned area if you leave it before it is marked competed and you get back later you will have to start again time wise so that 48h counter gets reset. Am I correct?

So for example if you receive convoy report and you figure it out that you will intercept it outside assigned patrol area would you go chase it or you are supposed to stay only in patrol areas assigned by BdU?

And second question while you are patrolling assigned area, how often would be good to submerge and check hydrophone? Every 40km?
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 04:27 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Basically, if you get a patrol zone, and you stay in it, for the hours required, you get a bonus promotion point you can assign to your crew right away. If not you lose it. If you are stalking a convoy, forget the bonus point, you will get more points in tonnage sunk. Go for it! Just be sure to return to the zone, finish your hours, so you can get a new zone for more bonus points.

As far as hydrophone checks, I don't use automatic scripts often. I check every 2 hours on a clear day, and more on terrible weather/foggy days.

If I am in 60m... heavy fog... heavy rain, I stay submerged and check the hydrophone manually as much as possible.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-19, 06:55 PM   #3
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Basically, if you get a patrol zone, and you stay in it, for the hours required, you get a bonus promotion point you can assign to your crew right away. If not you lose it. If you are stalking a convoy, forget the bonus point, you will get more points in tonnage sunk. Go for it! Just be sure to return to the zone, finish your hours, so you can get a new zone for more bonus points.

As far as hydrophone checks, I don't use automatic scripts often. I check every 2 hours on a clear day, and more on terrible weather/foggy days.

If I am in 60m... heavy fog... heavy rain, I stay submerged and check the hydrophone manually as much as possible.
So basically hunt ships, use your torps, then go to patrol area and drive there until you get it completed after that had back to base for max points.

One more question, how do you plot convoy course and intercept it? I know there are bunch of video on YT but most of them have accurate course report of the convoy meanwhile I get stuff like SSE which is not much helping considering what are potential course lines there, now compound that with the distance that the convoy will travel from the point where it was reported and you get fairly inaccurate intercept point.

Or I am doing something wrong and misinterpreting that message or there is some trick?
Old 02-03-19, 07:12 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

No you’re not doing anything wrong, when you first get a radio contact it is accurate. Where it’s at at that moment in time is exactly where it’s at, probably reported by Luftewaffe. You have to determine its course and speed where it will end up at a given point in time. You will have to use your speed table, and figure out an Azimuth of south south east for example in order to figure out where it may be. The further away from the reported area, the contact gets the more expansive the search area will be. You said you seen some videos, I have some more YouTube videos for you that I have made myself. I hope this one helps you. In the video I show you how plot a course with azimuth, and how potentially more difficult it will be to find the target.

Old 02-03-19, 07:20 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Let me know how you liked the video too! I’m always looking for criticism.
Old 02-04-19, 02:47 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 455

Nice video for the basics of interception course

You could add as you approach the interception area, don’t hesitate to loose some time to dive to 30m to listen at some intervals!
It’s not a waste of time, as the convoy may have change course,and/or correct your interception path…

Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 03:24 AM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

You are right commander.
Old 02-04-19, 03:45 AM   #8
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
You are right commander.
congratulations for the videos bstanko6 really useful, you could join them in one thread I think it's a good idea.
they are excellent tutorials
Old 02-04-19, 04:40 AM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

Thank you I appreciate that!
Old 02-04-19, 10:23 AM   #10
teesquar
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSub View Post
So basically hunt ships, use your torps, then go to patrol area and drive there until you get it completed after that had back to base for max points.

One more question, how do you plot convoy course and intercept it? I know there are bunch of video on YT but most of them have accurate course report of the convoy meanwhile I get stuff like SSE which is not much helping considering what are potential course lines there, now compound that with the distance that the convoy will travel from the point where it was reported and you get fairly inaccurate intercept point.

Or I am doing something wrong and misinterpreting that message or there is some trick?
Perfect timing for your question as just yesterday I did my first "convoy" (was only 2 ships) intercept. I'm running the Steam version with WoS mod at 80% reality so no real nav enabled.

I had previously printed out the step-by-step convoy intercept procedure, I found in the pinned instructional mega post, so game pause and referencing the instructions were my friends.

I received a message of a convoy at specific Lat and Long, moving WSW at 6 knots. I was preparing to figure the location on my map when I noticed a faint gray marker of its position. I'm sure due to my "not 100% real" settings. I think I would have been able to get the location set, anyway, using the Lat and Long.

No actual bearing numbers so I just laid out the course using the WSW marker on the protractor and followed the steps to develop the intercept 120 km away. I was thinking no way I hit this rendezvous.

My flank speed was closer to 16, rather than the 15 I used in the formulas, so I got there early. Rather than wait, I set my course up the convoy line (so ENE). After a little bit ... smoke on the horizon. I was definitely early due to the speed and only 1000m off on the course line. My map looked a mess with all the rulers, marks, protractors and compass lines, but I'll be damned if didn't work.

My high school math teacher was right ... Algebra and Geometry CAN be your friends
teesquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 11:03 AM   #11
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
No you’re not doing anything wrong, when you first get a radio contact it is accurate. Where it’s at at that moment in time is exactly where it’s at, probably reported by Luftewaffe. You have to determine its course and speed where it will end up at a given point in time. You will have to use your speed table, and figure out an Azimuth of south south east for example in order to figure out where it may be. The further away from the reported area, the contact gets the more expansive the search area will be. You said you seen some videos, I have some more YouTube videos for you that I have made myself. I hope this one helps you. In the video I show you how plot a course with azimuth, and how potentially more difficult it will be to find the target.

Awesome video!
So I believe if yo cannot reach it within 4-6 hours it may be lost as the search area increase.....
Old 02-04-19, 02:40 PM   #12
bstanko6
Admiral

Nicesub....
In my opinion yes. The area gets bigger to the point a hydrophone search, would not yield results unless you are extremely lucky. As in the words of the old man in Das Boot as he shakes his head and throws the compass on the nav map table.... "too far away, we'll never make it!"

This information gives you, the commander, important decision in resources. Managing your fuel, and such.

Last edited by bstanko6; 02-04-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 03:16 PM   #13
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Nicesub....
In my opinion yes. The area gets bigger to the point a hydrophone search, would not yield results unless you are extremely lucky. As in the words of the old man in Dad Boot as he shakes his head and throws the compass on the nav map table.... "too far away, we'll never make it!"

This information gives you, the commander, important decision in resources. Managing your fuel, and such.
Hahahaha I am right there with those guys...doing north western approach....for days not a single ship to be spotted and everything that I get report on it is 400+km away...I think that a convoy 400km away would not be possible to catch unless lucky.

BTW I am also having bad weather for days.....

Not sure though why I am struggling to spot anything by myself.
Old 02-04-19, 03:36 PM   #14
bstanko6
Admiral

Bad weather stinks but happens. You just have to increase hydrophone checks, not just for finding ships but for safety. Dont want a V&W popping out at you through a fog!

I play 3 in game days each time I play. In other words, I try to get 72 in game hours to pass each time I play to ensure weather changes. It’s a long game but fun.
Old 02-05-19, 06:06 AM   #15
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Bad weather stinks but happens. You just have to increase hydrophone checks, not just for finding ships but for safety. Dont want a V&W popping out at you through a fog!

I play 3 in game days each time I play. In other words, I try to get 72 in game hours to pass each time I play to ensure weather changes. It’s a long game but fun.
The way of how things stand right now, I will be forced to get back to base to refuel before I have fired one single torp.....unlucky as hell this time. Moral is waaay down. Yesterday, my guys spotted bulk tanker 8000t, while I was chasing him planes appeared so I had to dive and lost my target. So entire patrol not a singe plane and then they come while I am 10km away from the target...nice.

Tell me how economical is to run on standard around 11kts?