SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-15-09, 02:59 PM   #106
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

JSGME is universal, so the latest version is nice but not necessary, and there is no special SH4 version. It works fine for me, both with RFB and OM, so I would suspect something wrong in the order you have them installed.
Old 10-15-09, 04:47 PM   #107
rfxcasey
Bosun

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
JSGME is universal, so the latest version is nice but not necessary, and there is no special SH4 version. It works fine for me, both with RFB and OM, so I would suspect something wrong in the order you have them installed.
I'm not too sure about that. What other order is there. I installed SH4 v1.4 from the DVD and no joy. I installed SH4 Gold addition v1.5 with the U-boat expansion and no joy. I installed TMO as per the instructions and no joy. I installed the eyefix as per the instructions and no joy. I have always had this freakin missing eye thing and it never goes away. The funny thing is if I do a quick mission it doesn't happen or at least appears that it doesn't I haven't tested it too much, put if I do a career or campaign it does. Hate to say it but this game was totally half assed from day one. Just a rushed buggy sub par product in my opinion and Ubi doesn't seem to give a hoot.
rfxcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 06:14 PM   #108
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

wasn't it also related to vid cards or drivers?
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 07:51 PM   #109
rfxcasey
Bosun

Sorry to change subjects really quick but why is this forums so buggy. I constantly have to log in for everything I do and I post I just posted got lost and never showed up. Very frustrating. That aside, I'm using a 4830 with the latest catalyst drivers. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the z buffering implementation in the game. Oh and one more question why is the external camera so slow. Even holding down shift it is painfully slow. Is there anything I can do to make it more like SH3 speed.
Old 10-15-09, 10:07 PM   #110
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Thought i would clarify earlier confusion with the two marine.dat files located in TMO, and probably FOTRS, and maybe RFB, i have no idea.

Marine.dat
is a pre UBM file. It does not contain any uboat crew data at all. None what so ever. It is being used for two reasons.
1.) for whatever reason i've never been able to figure out, it renders the US crew MUCH better then the updated marine.dat file that came with the UBM add on. See here for picture comparision: ( http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic...6&t=328&p=1978 )

2.)Officers cover is shaped properly thanks to CaptainCox's mod.

Marine2.dat
This is the UBM file, and was purposely renamed so the game had the resource to render Uboat crews.

Now as mentioned previously, the game doesn't care what dat files are named, only whats in them. Node ID's and such. Right now, with those two files, its rendering US crew perfectly , while still rendering Uboat crews. The pre UBM marine.dat file is taking presence over the post UBM Marine2.dat file. I really don't know why, my only guess is the game is looking at the marine files in logical/numberical sequence. Having said that, ive always been suspicious of the game getting the two files confused. Having both in place, i dont think that should be working.... but it does. Never figured out why, i think that this crew rendering solution was in poor form, but i never had the time (or desire) to go back and find a better fix for it.

Anyway, thats why those two files are there. My question now is, does this eyeball fix work? If so, how does it work?
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 01:06 AM   #111
rfxcasey
Bosun

Thanks for the reply, but no it isn't working. I'm going to try and install it again just for the sake of argument. If what you say is true why can't you just remove the file you don't want the game to use? I really don't know anything about it so I may be totally off base here but you made it sound like there are 2 files conflicting. I know enough programming to get myself in trouble but I am willing to help do some leg work on this and help sort it out if you have any suggestions. I really like the game less the missing eyes. My external view is painfully slow too with or without using shift. Is there a way to fix that. Also I was weened on SH3 GWX but the interface in SH4 is totally different. I am having trouble in particular with setting torp depth, speed and triggering (impact/magnetic) as it doesn't seem very similar to SH3. Still, the eye thing takes priority.
Old 10-16-09, 02:56 AM   #112
rfxcasey
Bosun

OK, I got it working, I didn't realize you had to remove the marine2 file. Now the eyes have it! Or should I say, the CREW have eyes....hehe. I it didn't take me much playing around to realize I don't like the TMO mod. There is no external view while submerged. And while some probably thing that is kool cause it's more realistic for me it is just less fun. If you want realizism, the next time your sub gets sunk stick your head in a bucket of water until you pass out. How that for realizism?

Last edited by rfxcasey; 07-20-10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-16-09, 03:22 AM   #113
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfxcasey View Post
OK, I got it working, I didn't realize you had to remove the marine2 file. Now the eyes have it! Or should I say, the CREW have eyes....hehe. I it didn't take me much playing around to realize I don't like the TMO mod. There is no external view while submerged. And while so probably thing that is kool cause it's more realistic for me it is less fun. If you want realizism, the next time your sub gets sunk stick your head in a bucket of water until you pass out. How that for realizism?
(insert blunt and unvarnished negative response here)
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 12:28 PM   #114
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

This old cud has lost taste for a long time already...

Quote:
I'm not too sure about that. What other order is there. I installed SH4 v1.4 from the DVD and no joy. I installed SH4 Gold addition v1.5 with the U-boat expansion and no joy. I installed TMO as per the instructions and no joy. I installed the eyefix as per the instructions and no joy. ...
I played SH4 v. 1.5 without any mods (excepting my own) and had no problems with eyes ...
look:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150430

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 03:41 PM   #115
rfxcasey
Bosun

Quote:
OK, I got it working, I didn't realize you had to remove the marine2 file. Now the eyes have it! Or should I say, the CREW have eyes....hehe. I it didn't take me much playing around to realize I don't like the TMO mod. There is no external view while submerged. And while so probably thing that is kool cause it's more realistic for me it is less fun. If you want realizism, the next time your sub gets sunk stick your head in a bucket of water until you pass out. How that for realizism?
Wow, way to butcher a comment.... Stupid fingers! Stupid words!

The funny thing is I reinstalled the game without the mods and used the stock version eyeball fix, now they have eyes they are just either all black or all white. OMG! Can someone please give me there original or working marine.dat file, I didn't back it up before I overwrote it.

Last edited by rfxcasey; 10-16-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 02:42 AM   #116
rfxcasey
Bosun

I popped in the eyefix marine.dat file to my install of the SH4 Gold edition which comes with the uboat pack. I overwrote the original without checking to see if the eye thing was working before hand. Don't ask it's a long story. Can someone with post there stock working marine.dat or tell me how to extract it from the cab file. I think the cab is a proprietary format cause I can't view it in XP. I just don't wanna reinstall the whole thing.
Old 10-19-09, 07:13 PM   #117
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281

Casey, I don't mean to be rude but since you insulted Ducimus and all of his hard work which the rest of us all enjoy very much I don't think anyone is going to be inclined to help you with your issue. I suggest you reinstall.

Good luck.

Last edited by virtualpender; 10-21-09 at 04:56 PM.
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 12:32 AM   #118
rfxcasey
Bosun

Hum, you must be one of those. Oh well, to clarify I don't think I did or intended to offend anyone. And if he WAS offended, why don't you let him say so, OK. I am so tired of forum butt kissers it's not funny. Mind your own business and quit tiring to start crap. This isn't even worth my time , BUT, SH4 has had many bugs, as have several other Ubi products I have used, some of which seem rushed, and mostly some were, as can be backed up in many articles written by reputable reviewers some of which have actually discussed this with the dev team. It usually isn't the devs fault just that business in business as far as the corp side is concerned . The other thing that is frustrating is that the hoped for fixes sometimes never come along of have to be made my someone else. Wasn't insulting the mod either, I thinks it's really nice, but don't get me wrong I am not typing this as an admission of guilt only to justify when I ask you, WTF???
Old 10-27-09, 03:35 PM   #119
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
This old cud has lost taste for a long time already...
You should stop chewing over the same old thing over and over then. No one was interested before and no one is interested in you now, no matter how much you try to hijack this thread. Just get over it and carry on. I told you well over two years ago about this. You'd be much happier if you just dropped the whole thing. No one will think any less of you if you do, but if you carry on they probably will think less of you. Some sort of has been probably.

Someone set up up the bomb. Gentleman, mods are live, no matter we download them. Stop the loser spam to change the adjustment. He is loose. Ignore the cats, the cats are loose. The mod works, so set us up the mod.
Old 10-27-09, 04:14 PM   #120
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hum, you must be one of those. Oh well, to clarify I don't think I did or intended to offend anyone. And if he WAS offended, why don't you let him say so, OK.
did you not understand the "off with their heads" animation as a response to your harsh words about TMO?

ducimus has been around a long time and chose to just leave it at that and not get into a further discussion about it.

i would caution you to remember that people help others when they feel the help is appreciated but we are not hear to "serve" you or to be treated as thou we owe you help in any way.

please remember you are "asking" for help and you should try to be less critical of someone elses mod. if you dont like it thats fine and saying why you dont like it is fine too but its not necessary to insult others work.

Quote:
I am so tired of forum butt kissers it's not funny.
this comment was totally out of line and uncalled for and serves no purpose except to invite further negative comments.

Tags
eye patch