Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-16, 10:56 AM   #1
festus
Seaman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter and Win 10

Howdy!

Probably a real strange question, but I just got a new computer using 64-bit Win 10. I used DosBox on my old comp to run Silent Hunter 1. Can you run SH 1 on Win 10? (Don't ask why, I just like the old game. )

Festus
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 11:15 AM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

This a good place to start ...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213102

SH1 is a great game even with it's flaws.

Would make a great console game too
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 12:56 PM   #3
festus
Seaman

Howdy!

Thanks! I will check it out.

I Love the game, specially the campaigns with random scenarios. I have SH II but it doesn't compare.

Festus
Old 09-23-16, 01:10 PM   #4
festus
Seaman

Default Silent Hunter

Howdy!

Downloaded DosBox 0.74 that worked before with XP Pro on my old comp. Now, I can't get the game to load. 16 Bit and 64 Bit incompatible apparently. I tried to use DosBox to install the program but running into problems?

Am I screwed?

festus
Old 09-23-16, 04:00 PM   #5
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Believe me it works! You just have to adapt the DosBox a bit, or maybe it is even playable directly, adjusting the starting *.exe or *.com file via right-click and then compatibility..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 06:29 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Thread moved to a more appropriate area of the forum.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 12:17 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Yes SH1 1.31 & SHCE runs on Win 10, 8.1, & 7 - both 64 bit & 32 bit using DOSBox 0.74 plus all of Hawk's Utilities and Kim Ronhof's run too.

I use a zip file I made of my full install on a Win 3.11 or a Win ME computer years ago so I already have Hawk's Utilities set up and only need to configure DOSBox.

I've learned from others that Silent Hunter will install directly to Win 10, 8.1, & Win 7 - 64 bit & 32 bit computers which surprised me. I still use my zip.

Mine is installed (unzipped) to the C:\GAMES\SILENT folders I made.

You need to edit the *.ini files and copy the entire BUD folder over from the CD into the C:\GAMES\SILENT folder like this: C:\GAMES\SILENT\BUD

From subsowespac.org:
Quote:
ShPath.ini

BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\

Dig.ini:
;
;Miles Design Audio Interface Library V3.03 of 18-Jun-95
;

DEVICE Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32
DRIVER SB16.DIG
IO_ADDR 220h
IRQ 7
DMA_8_BIT 1
DMA_16_BIT 5

Mdi.ini:
;
;Miles Design Audio Interface Library V3.03 of 18-Jun-95
;

DEVICE Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32
DRIVER SB16.MDI
IO_ADDR 220h
IRQ 7
DMA_8_BIT 1
DMA_16_BIT 5

Make sure you use NOTEPAD or some other text editor.
This post may help if you're installing the patches (not necessary if you have SHCE the Commanders edition:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=61
From this topic mentioned above:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213102

My simple SHCE desktop DOSBox shortcut is configured like this (the " quotes are needed):
Target:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -userconf -c "mount c c:\games\silent" -c "c:"
Start in:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74"

I have Win 7 - 64 bit. If using 32 bit, DOSBox would be in C:\Program Files, not C:\Program Files (x86).

Be sure DOSBox Options are set to: fullscreen=true in the dosbox-0.74.conf file (1024x768)
Hope this helps.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 09-24-16 at 12:31 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-16, 12:30 PM   #8
festus
Seaman

Default Cannot Install SH 1

Howdy Folks!

The problem is that I cannot even install the game. When I load the CD and start the install .bat file, an error message says the 16bit installer is not compatible with the 64bit version and can go no further. I even tried using DosBox to install it but no joy as you get "Cannot detect the CD" error message.

From what I have gleaned from some searches, the 16bit installer is not compatible with 64bit Win 10. I have spent the past hour looking at posts from various searches and the best I could come up with is you have to install a dual boot system on your computer with a second, 32bit OS to install the game. Apparently, MS abandoned all 16bit support due to safety concerns.

I am hoping we have some folks here that are more computer savvy than I that can come up with a simpler solution.

Festus
Old 09-29-16, 08:04 PM   #9
akula65
A-ganger

Downloads: 23

It sounds like you have an early release of Silent Hunter which does have a 16-bit DOS installer that will not function on 64-bit versions of Windows. I have such a version that has the CD-ROM volume label SH_V1_0_324. Unfortunately, many of the files in this version are compressed so there is no way to manually copy the disc contents into a functioning configuration on a hard drive.

You may see conflicting reports about the ability to install Silent Hunter into 64-bit versions of Windows because there ARE CD-ROMs with 32-bit Windows installers that will install correctly on 64-bit systems and put an entry into the list of installed programs. I have another Silent Hunter disc with a 1997 copyright date and a CD-ROM volume label SILENT that installs Version 1.0 properly on 64-bit systems. Silent Hunter Commander's Edition also has a 32-bit Windows installer as well. Of course the game's executable files are still 16-bit, so it will not run without the aid of something like DOSBox.

You may get better assistance with installation through DOSBox on the www.VOGONS.org (Very Old Games on New Systems) site in the DOSBox subforum. The first thing to do is use the "60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox" thread and make sure that you are getting the basics correct:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8933

If that doesn't work, try posting in the VOGONS DOSBox Games/Apps subforum and be sure to include your exact commands and any error messages.

Good luck!

Last edited by akula65; 09-30-16 at 01:03 PM.
akula65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 10:00 AM   #10
festus
Seaman

Howdy!

Oh yea, it's an old version: V1.0, copyright 1996. And my two patrol CDs are c1996 too.

I am familiar with DoxBox as I have used it with several other older games. I've used it to run games but never to install one. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

I'll check out the site you suggested and see what's there.

Thanks!

Festus
Old 09-30-16, 11:18 AM   #11
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula65 View Post
You may see conflicting reports about the ability to install Silent Hunter into 64-bit versions of Windows because there ARE CD-ROMs with 32-bit Windows installers that will install correctly on 64-bit systems and put an entry into the list of installed programs.
Well, you learn something new every day...... I wish I knew this around 2005 or so, it would have helped me help a whole lot of people - lol

We used the 'Don Wells' method back then on the XP systems and when Win 7 came out it was a completely new method to install SH1.

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/silent-hunter-windows-vista-dosbox.shtml

Now there's a disk going around that will install SHCE on any computer; Win 7, 8.1, & 10, and when it's done it leaves a start icon on the desktop. (it runs through DOSBox - included)

Thanks!

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 11:37 AM   #12
festus
Seaman

Akula:

Sir, we have Joy in Muddville! You are a Gentleman and a Scholar, I doff my cap to you!

I used the 60 second guide and now I have SH1 loaded along with my two patrol discs. It's up to v1.20 and it runs. (Do you happen to know what the last version is?) Now, I'm off to see what mods I can download and see if I can find Patrol Disc #3.

Great Assist! Thanks!

Festus
Old 09-30-16, 01:31 PM   #13
akula65
A-ganger

Downloads: 23

Glad to hear it.

I just used DOSBox to install only the original Version 1.0 game with 1996 copyright into Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit, and had no difficulties.

Quote:
(Do you happen to know what the last version is?)
SUBSIM hosts two patches for Silent Hunter. The first patch upgrades any pre-Version 1.3 release to Version 1.3. The second patch upgrades a Version 1.3 installation to Version 1.31. I believe both patches have been compressed by the SUBSIM powers-that-be as 7-Zip archives to save space, so you need to use 7-Zip or some decompression utility that can handle .7z format files to get at the contents. These contents may also have to be decompressed as well, but eventually, you will get to the patches inside.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=42

I am guessing that Patrol Disk #3 will also upgrade the game to Version 1.3, but I only have the first two Patrol Disks, so I can't say from personal experience.
akula65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-16, 03:26 PM   #14
festus
Seaman

Howdy!

Ahh, you can't get away from SH1 can ya?! LOL! I have it up to v1.3 using the last SubSim post. There's a problem with one of the Mod downloads. It downloads some .html file which is useless. I'll let ya know which one it is.

I'm hoping to get Patrol Disc #3. I had a download years ago but lost it.

That's why I love SH1, a true Campaign. I have SH2 but I never liked it.

Festus
Old 10-01-16, 03:16 PM   #15
festus
Seaman

Default SH1 Mod

Aanker

You uploaded a file in the SH1 Download section: SH1database files. What exactly is this and what does it do? Is it some sort of utility used for editing things or does it modify the game in some way?

Unclear what it does.

Festus