Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-16, 06:49 PM   #1
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
Default Will we ever see DW 2?

I know there was some hopeful buzz when that DARPA project launched and they mentioned their new engine, but it's been radio silence since.

Anyone have any rumours to empart?

Uncle Neal?
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 07:49 PM   #2
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm afraid the player base is just too small for any bigger studios to pick this up. However, crowd funding of whatever sort should work well and I could imagine backing a project like that, if I have the impression it won't be another stillborn like so many projects.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens one day or another, I sure hope it will.
DW, as nice as it is, has severe limitations.
Fingers crossed, I guess?
Old 09-05-16, 12:12 PM   #3
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Sonalysts has been tight-lipped about any sequel or remake of any of their simulators. Their second-generation engine and the space-themed game they made with it was an obvious exhibition piece and, in the past, Sonalysts has dropped hints that one of their popular sims would be getting a sequel/remake. There has been no news beyond that. I can see it happen eventually, but I would not hold my breath. Besides, Sonalysts used a chopped up version of DW to create the ACTUV simulator back in 2010 to test the concept of the ACTUV drones that we are now seeing in the proving phase. The Subsim community did its part in that project. Sonalysts knows we are here and they know that if they create a new subsim, we will buy it. It is just an issue of their priorities. Sonalysis IS a DOD contractor and, of course, those obligations will take priority.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 12:17 PM   #4
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

While that sounds nice, "we" are merely a hand full of sub simmers.
We won't pay their bills.

However, one possibility might be to simply make the game more expensive.
For a solid cold war subsim that is being supported for a few years with mod support so we can prolong its live ourselves (just look at DW...), I'd pay up to 100€ for sure. This might sound expensive at first, but in the end it depends on the bang-for-the-buck factor, not the initial price.

Since sims like that are for a more adult audience anyways, I could see this helping out.
Still, "we" aren't so many, I'm afraid.
Old 09-05-16, 08:07 PM   #5
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

I agree with that idea.

I've already spent over £300 on Star Citizen, which my current computer struggles a little to play, and of the two ships I've bought, I can't yet fly one of them.

So I'd easily pay similar money for DW 2.

Do you think they pop into these forums to keep and eye on us and might see this and other threads?
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 08:15 PM   #6
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I doubt it, at least 'officially'. However, I'd not be surprised if some developers of whatever naval games roam around here during their private time, at least every once in a while.
We have/had former SH developers here, for example.
Old 09-20-16, 12:48 PM   #7
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

I certainly hope so. It's been nearly 10 years since I first played Dangerous Waters. I'm currently hooked on CMANO, but I hope to see another game from Sonalysts.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 12:55 PM   #8
bottomcrawler
Mate

Downloads: 15

What became of the ComSubSim project?
bottomcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 01:11 PM   #9
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114
SHO

Honestly, I don't think we'll see a DW2. at least not from Sonalysts. The best we can hope for is the pending release of Reinforce Alert 1.41

CMANO is alright, at times overly complex. Sometimes it feels like playing Jane's Fleet Command with the 3d turned off. I know, Harpoon was like that but I like being able to see things! its not enough to see text "overcast, rainy, heavy waves". Seeing your task force plow through heaving seas is another level.

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 01:33 PM   #10
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

If any of us happen to become filthy rich, that is when we will see a Dangerous Waters 2

On a serious note, it would be cool to see how many sales of Dangerous Waters Sonalysts has made. That could help us get some idea as to what the pricing or volume of games would need to be to even come close to breaking even.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 04:05 AM   #11
Micksp
Sailor man

Downloads: 31

Well,
In my opinion DW will finish as it is. The game has a very low level of interest, which means no payback, so it is over many years ago. I was waiting for the game realise two years, then dived deep inside being a member of communities, learned the game in details. I have a lot of scenarios created, spending towsends of hours, but it is gone.. Maybe in the future we will have something like, who knows, let's wait and the time will show us.
Micksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 10:32 AM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
I know there was some hopeful buzz when that DARPA project launched and they mentioned their new engine, but it's been radio silence since.

Anyone have any rumours to empart?

Uncle Neal?

Nothing to report.
Old 09-29-16, 12:49 AM   #13
NefariousKoel
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post

On a serious note, it would be cool to see how many sales of Dangerous Waters Sonalysts has made. That could help us get some idea as to what the pricing or volume of games would need to be to even come close to breaking even.

From what I recall, Sonalysts was disappointed with DW sales after the release date spike had passed.

I got the impression that they didn't expect to do another commercial sim anytime soon, unless everything DOD fell through.

But this was quite a few years ago, so hopefully my memory is clouded by Old Crazy Brain™.
Old 10-08-16, 03:22 PM   #14
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

I think they told us how they feel about that community when they created "Near Impact" instead of improving DW. It was a nice and gentle "little bird".
After that what's there to ask?...lol! They went deeper into more beneficial work, and they are now out of reach, from the puny gamer!...Join the Navy into the silent service, and you might train on some improved stellar version of some parts of DW.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-16, 08:28 PM   #15
ColdFront
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Well, if any of you ever want to ask them in person, Sonalysts will be showing up at this conference from November 28th to December 2nd: http://exhibits.iitsec.org/2016/publ...BoothID=159430