SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-18, 12:36 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Expelled student armed with assault rifle slaughters 17 at Florida high school

Once again, gunfire at a High School kills a number of kids / students, in this case, 17. 16 more were reported injured. The shooter In this case was a 19 year old former student expelled for disciplinary reasons.

I have no words except where does this end ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3820936

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:20 AM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Very sad. I do not know "where this will stop", but it is obviously happening more and more often.
They say "It is the person that kills, not the weapon." Hm, sure. But making it more difficult to get those guns could be a start?

(OT i read that inspite of Trump whos is pro-gun and NRA, there are less people buying weapons now.. which was explained because Trump is less likely to take guns away from them, so there is less need for defense. An american thing.)
How do you "test" people whether they are prone to do such things, without taking away the freedom of, and for all?

From my german point of view the case is clear, but it is seen entirely different over there.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:00 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

According to the BBC this is the eighteenth school shooting in the USA this year and the eighth to include death or serious injury to children.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:12 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Tja. From this comes that.

But to regain our breaths again, lets discuss callibre, shooting distance and the all-important question whether or not the assault rifle used indeed was an assault rifle or just a semi-automatic rifle. And was it a rifle at all? Its important, you now.
Old 02-15-18, 07:27 AM   #5
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

sorry for being OT once more:
I remember my first times being in England, that policemen (Bobbies? Coppers?) did not wear arms. This has changed, already before the 'new' terrorism started.
But somehow it was not considered to be necessary back then. The police had a certain 'elevated'(?) status, and people probably had more respect, towards them

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:40 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

You know how reputation of police officers in Germany has collapsed in recent years. And politicians betray them, while doing their best to maximise the number of new challenges and threats to them. These days even rescue medics and firefighters get attacked, threatened, spit at by antisocial mobs - often mobs we have happily imported in the past. You read the newspapers over here, you know what I mean. Its almost daily news. Andn that does not even mention the even greater numbers of youtube posters blocking rescue works for shooting their own youtube video.

Prolet mobs behave like prolet mobs, no real surprise there. The more you have of the one, the more you get of the other. Import prolet mobs, or breed them in your own school system and by the degeneration of social standards, and you get what you asked for.
Old 02-18-18, 09:26 AM   #7
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

It is the culture, which is good or bad for whatever society it permeates. Culture is very hard to change, especially with the expansive social media, or connectivity, that has come along. But, even that has good attributes in comparison to what has occurred.

It starts with the base of a person's development and continues from there. Family values, community values, and on up to the social fabric of the overall society.

I guess I can speak of values, but I should listen, too. Looking, understanding, and implementing such values is a slow and difficult change to the society. But, it is important for any society to adjust itself in light of the myriad of challenges to what it feels are the best cultural values.

It is akin to parenting only on a grand and inclusive scale. Each adult, exemplifying strong values for society's good. I used to hear about the "Golden Rule", and maybe I am out of touch or too cynical to see it all around me, but I have not heard it mentioned in a long time.

I accept that my parents did the best that they could with what they had. I think I should do the same. I have to learn, understand, and demonstrate the values that I want my, now grandkids, to see and learn from.

As to the event(s) being discussed, I understand the challenges of the school and the FBI. The parenting part, I have not read enough about in the news press. I think that should be talked about more.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote