SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-17, 05:06 PM   #1
haskell
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default What is CRITICAL_FAIL and how to trigger it?

Hi! First post after joining the forum, spent weeks playing this game now. Poking around the game files, I see several mentions of CRITICAL_FAIL, for example in file
Code:
D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\default\campaign\campaign002\language_en\events\content\ending_critical_fail.txt
D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\default\campaign\campaign002\language_en\events\event_campaign_critical_fail.txt
The content in these files hints some sort of nuclear apocalypse, but I don't know how to trigger it. If I intentionally fail the last hunting SSBN mission I get a blockage ending (edited, not peace talk one)
haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 05:40 PM   #2
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Think you have to damage the boomer, then get killed or lose him.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 11:15 PM   #3
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Just sit in port, loading an unloading TLAMS in the '84 campaign to advance time. You'll see it after a while. No need to even leave port.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 01:08 AM   #4
haskell
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrick View Post
Just sit in port, loading an unloading TLAMS in the '84 campaign to advance time. You'll see it after a while. No need to even leave port.

-Jenrick
I tried that. After the first mission failed due to running out of time loading/unloading TLAM, I stuck at the next scene where my sub is at 50ft in an ocean and no HUD, no control. Think that will break the game...
haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 01:19 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Haskell!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 08:45 PM   #6
longface
Watch

Downloads: 8

I never really understood the logic behind the final scenarios, either. Not mentioning that a strategic nuclear exchange probably wouldn't be an extinction-level event (close for the targeted nations but not necessarily for the world), I never got how the player sinking a boomer would lead to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Also, reading game files, I saw a reference to endings where NATO either withdraws all naval assets from the North Atlantic (what???) or the player gets arrested and deported to a Soviet gulag, how would that be triggered?
longface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 07:03 AM   #7
SeaCadt07
Swabbie

Downloads: 209

I'm pretty sure a strategic nuclear exchange between USSR and NATO would be an extinction level event.

Check out a movie call On the Beach. It's actually about what would happen to a sub crew after all the missiles have flown
SeaCadt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 12:45 PM   #8
Thomas_Jefferson
Nub

Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longface View Post
I never really understood the logic behind the final scenarios, either. Not mentioning that a strategic nuclear exchange probably wouldn't be an extinction-level event (close for the targeted nations but not necessarily for the world), I never got how the player sinking a boomer would lead to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Also, reading game files, I saw a reference to endings where NATO either withdraws all naval assets from the North Atlantic (what???) or the player gets arrested and deported to a Soviet gulag, how would that be triggered?
I was nearly sunk the other day deep in enemy waters. I surfaced and abandoned ship, only to be "rescued" by the Soviets and promptly arrested. The excerpt said that I would not likely survive my time in the POW camp.
Thomas_Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 05:01 PM   #9
longface
Watch

Downloads: 8

No, it was about returning to Holy Loch (probably after NATO loses), where you are encountered by MPs and arrested, deported, and sent to gulag.
longface is offline   Reply With Quote