Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-17, 12:17 PM   #7096
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

UKIP - back to being the BNP in blazers, then.

Meanwhile, up at Holyrood the SNP administration has announced it's intention to "get on with the day job"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41147003

At-a-glance: Scotland's legislative programme 2017-18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41162058

16 bills altogether covering various topics. We'll see how much they can actually deliver.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 09-06-17, 09:02 AM   #7097
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post

Meanwhile, up at Holyrood the SNP administration has announced it's intention to "get on with the day job"
Some rich bloke rang in to a radio phone in last night moaning the SNP were bleeding his kind dry and the SNP was on course to bankrupt Scotland's economy. He was a employer owning a small company, I suspect too a point he was telling the truth. Question is has the SNP now passed its peak and trying to do what every it can to hold on to power?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-06-17, 10:16 AM   #7098
STEED
Lucky Jack

The summer break is over and here we go again..

DING DING PMQ'S

May Vs Corbyn

Come on Corbyn, every time that dotty old bag brings up the last Labour Government you should hit back. Over 6 years ago not 6 months ago! Trouble with Corbyn is too many topics, if he gets the wrong answer he should keep hitting back demanding the answer and not some off the cuff answer or deflection response.

May is weak but Corbyn is weaker and can not see how to deliver the knock out blow.

Score
May 1 Corbyn 0

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-06-17, 11:25 AM   #7099
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Some rich bloke rang in to a radio phone in last night moaning the SNP were bleeding his kind dry and the SNP was on course to bankrupt Scotland's economy. He was a employer owning a small company, I suspect too a point he was telling the truth. Question is has the SNP now passed its peak and trying to do what every it can to hold on to power?
It's a bit more subtle than that. There was a major stooshie last year over changes to business rates. As it turns out businesses in the North East and many other rural areas would be most affected by the rises, the Central Belt less so. So if he's based in the NE it's a bone of contention between the business community here and the SNP administration.

There have been dark mutterings up in this neck of the woods (Aberdeen in particular) that the SNP has deliberately set out sabotage the economy up here in order to boost that in the western central belt (i.e. the Clyde Valley and Glasgow) so they can hold on to their new ex-Labour voter base in those areas.

No doubt relations have worsened now that the Tories have made gains at the SNP's expense in this area.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Old 09-06-17, 12:19 PM   #7100
MGR1
Grey Wolf

BBC Scotland's Business Editor Douglas Fraser's take on the SNP Programme for Government:

Sturgeon's mid-term reboot

Quote:
Things haven't gone as anyone expected for the past few years. For Nicola Sturgeon, a rogue Westminster election knocked the momentum out of her party's dominance and the independence movement.
So 16 months out from her re-election to lead a minority administration, the Programme for Government has the look of a reboot. She's switched off the administration, and switched it back on again, and come up with something that reads like an election manifesto.
It's pleased an impressively wide range of pressure groups: those who campaign for the planet, disabled people, against poverty, on race and gender, the business lobby, public sector unions and public transport.
And this is a manifesto that is willing to make some enemies and risk criticism; taking on the lock-em-up brigade on prisons: petrolheads and their diesel cousins: the obese, or at least those who sell fatty foods to them: and local councillors, who stand to lose powers to headteachers and local communities.
Also, Ruth Davidson has this to say about the Brexit process:

Scottish Tory leader says she is worried Brexit could damage economy permanently

Quote:
What is her biggest concern about the impact of Brexit? She pauses. “Interesting question… My real fear is that if there’s a short-term economic hit, we don’t bounce back from it.”
Would she like a prolonged transition period during which Britain maintains access to the single market? “I’m for free trade and want to make sure that people from Scotland and the UK have access to – and the greatest ability to operate within – the single market, which I believe are the exact words the Prime Minister used in her Lancaster House speech back in January. The mechanism for how we get to that I’m less aerated about, as long as that’s where we get to.”
Almost forgot this - the GMB is calling foul over the decision to open up the contract for the new Type 31 frigates to yards across the UK rather than using the Clyde only:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41174619

Viewed UK wide, it's a good decision and one I approve of, but from a specifically Scottish view point this is a potential hornets nest. If Glasgow gets the hump, the rest of Scotland normally suffers.

Mike.

Last edited by MGR1; 09-06-17 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 03:13 PM   #7101
STEED
Lucky Jack

From Sky News..

Quote:
Who should lead the Tories at the next election?

Theresa May has declared her intention to lead the Conservative Party into the next General Election, scheduled for 2022, but do you think she'll get her wish? If not, then who?
Poll results as of posting this post.

Jacob Rees-Mogg 741
Ruth Davidson 566
Theresa May 454
Boris Johnson 218
David Davis 142
Philip Hammond 142
Amber Rudd 97
Andrea Leadsom 74
Sajid Javid 74
Damian Green 61
Michael Gove 59

My opinion
Jacob Rees-Mogg - Too much of a toff and reminder of Cameron
Ruth Davidson - Scottish bitter pill the country may swallow if no other option
Theresa May - weak washout but still better than Corbyn
Boris Johnson - Got flair but too much of a buffoon at times
David Davis - Safe but dry and not really leadership material
Philip Hammond - Too dry and clearly not got it
Amber Rudd - No chance
Andrea Leadsom - Better chance than Rudd but not by much
Sajid Javid - Could be the stalking horse
Damian Green - Too weak
Michael Gove - Damaged goods

Old 09-07-17, 05:50 AM   #7102
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Only real challenger imo might be Rees-Mogg but if May doesn't make any more clangers I can see her hanging on.

On the other hand, should Corbyn enhance his appeal to the electorate and Labour support increases as a result then I predict a rise in support for Boris should he declare an interest.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-07-17, 12:22 PM   #7103
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Davidson's very, very unlikely - not at Westminster and has her eye on Bute House.

I don't think many in Scotland know who Rees-Mogg is.

Mike.

Old 09-07-17, 04:59 PM   #7104
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Only real challenger imo might be Rees-Mogg but if May doesn't make any more clangers I can see her hanging on.

On the other hand, should Corbyn enhance his appeal to the electorate and Labour support increases as a result then I predict a rise in support for Boris should he declare an interest.
Rees-Mogg would seal their fate, as said he's a toff a bigger toff than Cameron and that is a vote loser. This could result in a big down turn in the vote if Corbyn fails to get his act together. More people would stay at home.

As it stands at the moment if there was another general election next month I would predict a hung parliament with the Tories the biggest party but needing more than the DUP to prop them up.

Old 09-07-17, 05:11 PM   #7105
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
Davidson's very, very unlikely - not at Westminster and has her eye on Bute House.

I don't think many in Scotland know who Rees-Mogg is.

Mike.
Well if that is the case the bookies are barking up the wrong tree.

I don't think many in England know who Rees-Mogg is.

Old 09-08-17, 05:43 AM   #7106
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
MP Ian Paisley has referred himself to a parliamentary watchdog over claims he did not declare £100,000 in hospitality from the Sri Lankan government.
A newspaper report said the DUP MP and his family took two all-expenses-paid holidays to the island in 2013.
The Daily Telegraph said he recently met Sri Lankan officials to discuss the possibility of post-Brexit trade deals with the south Asian country.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41198118

Could it be some will individually benefit from Brexit?

Old 09-08-17, 06:44 AM   #7107
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41198118

Could it be some will individually benefit from Brexit?
He passed away a few years ago unless this is someone else, oh well click the link and find out.

Old 09-08-17, 06:52 AM   #7108
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
He passed away a few years ago unless this is someone else, oh well click the link and find out.
This is about the son, not the father.

Old 09-08-17, 07:02 AM   #7109
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
This is about the son, not the father.
Help I'm under attack from a O.A.P.

Well Ian Paisley (Jr) got nothing to worry about, after all the DUP has got the Tories under the thumb.

Old 09-08-17, 07:04 AM   #7110
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Help I'm under attack from a O.A.P.

Well Ian Paisley (Jr) got nothing to worry about, after all the DUP has got the Tories under the thumb.
Arguably so but I'm sure they'd rather be in a position to govern in NI.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics