SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-11, 04:22 PM   #1
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements

This may come as a bit of a shock to some. But I haven't really PLAYED this game in a couple years. So i have a few questions.

1.) (TMO related) Do refits happen reguarly enough? Or are you stuck with one conning tower throughout the entire war. ( If so, have you been successful in earning renown? )

2.) How often are you offered a new command in a single career game?

3.) Does the game offer you a chance to retire? About when does this occur, what rank, how many patrols, and how much renown did you have? How often does this occur, and are you able to continue? If so, how much renown (if any) does it cost you?

4.) Does the game notify you when you've gone up in rank?
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 04:34 PM   #2
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

I've just started with 2.0/2.1 but with 1.9 I usually keep the same conning tower, though I have had the upgrades.

I usually get offered a new command every 4-6 patrols if they're good.

I've not been asked to retire but it's rare if I take damage. I'm very cautious.

The game does notify me when rank is increased.

I'm doing this off of memory as I haven't played in about three months. Been rebuilding the CPU.
Old 02-17-11, 04:42 PM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
1.) (TMO related) Do refits happen reguarly enough? Or are you stuck with one conning tower throughout the entire war. ( If so, have you been successful in earning renown? )
I feel that it takes a long time to get a new tower. Mostly, I see the new tower when I get a new boat. (How much renown should I have to get a new tower?)

Quote:
I usually get the option after a handful of patrols. Maybe after at least 3, if not more. Lately, I've been starting with the New Construction option in '42, so it's probably 3 patrols after I reach the war zone.

Quote:
3.) Does the game offer you a chance to retire? About when does this occur, what rank, how many patrols, and how much renown did you have? How often does this occur, and are you able to continue? If so, how much renown (if any) does it cost you?
Don't think I've ever run into that.

Quote:
If you look in your logbook, it will mention something along the lines of "Rank was advanced." No nice certificate. No brass band. Nothing like getting a medal. Not even "You got promoted!"
Old 02-17-11, 10:02 PM   #4
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Just got 2.0 / 2.1 going myself. Played 1.9 for a long time. Just like d it is all, but as always, out with the old, and in with the new!

I'm only on my 3rd patrol, and have yet to drop off the commandos on the shoreline south of Manila Bay. My first patrol wasn't very stellar. Attcked a TF steaming into Lingayin Gulf at 13kts, and nailed a a cruiser, the one with 3 forward turrets I think. I keep drawing a blank on the class! But I also got 2 troopships, but with fish running deep in rougher waters, and the darn magnetic detonators so unreliable, I had many fish running under the ships ot they would spot them, and turn to avoid them.

Renown wasn't stellar, but it was fine, since the orders were to inflict damage to the TF, so that helped succeeding in the objective.

Second patrol was far more productive!
Go a Kongo BB NW of Luzon, about 50 Nm's, and all was quiet for a week while I patrolled. Got the message that Manila was over-run by Imperial Japanese forces, so had the base swithed to Surabaya, and decided to patrol the straits there between Bornio, and the Celebes, and got a further 4 cargo vessels, and a Shiratsuyu DD for 6 vessels sunk from my Sargo boat.

Renown was around 1300, or so. Maybe as high as 1500. Can't remember right off. I think renown before this last patrol, was down to 270 or so, and after I completed the second patrol, it was something like 1500 pr 1700. But it was a lot.

I usually don't get the conning tower refit on a regular basis, except for the reduction of the sheers around the flak gun on the aft tower.

I usually don't get a full late war tower until I take command of a bolao boat.

Never have been promoted nor offered retirement. Nor offerred a new command.

---------------------

Last edited by Hylander_1314; 02-18-11 at 10:33 AM.
Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 10:37 PM   #5
Arael
Planesman

Downloads: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
Attcked a TF steaming into Lingayin Gulf at 13kts, and nailed a a cruiser, the one with 3 forward turrets I think. I keep drawing a blank on the class!
Saying "The Japanese cruiser type with three forward turrets" is like saying "That one song where they were playing the guitar while some guy was hammering on the drums in the background."
Arael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 11:41 PM   #6
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the responses thus far. I see a trend developing on refits, and a fear i had being unfounded on retirements. Thanks much, any more responses are appreciated.
Old 02-18-11, 05:39 AM   #7
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Cant help you with that since TMO is not on my modlist

Quote:

About 2 or 3 times. If you're talking vanilla, I've started with a porpoise, got my Gato around 6th patrol after sinking a Takao, and later around mid 43 got my Balao.

Quote:
Yes it does if you're sinking too much, or too little aggressive you're showing. If you are lower than 6000 renown after so many less fruitful patrols, you'll be retired. Alternately, they'll offer a desk job and an instructor at sub school (means also the end of your career)

No it doesnt. You may check your rank by installing Desktop fix and clicking the sailor junior photograph. This is the mod

[REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal

Actually ranking up should be the least of your concerns in the Allied aspect, as opposed to uboot campaign. Uboot captains surprisingly possessed magical powers to compensate for lack of TDC in their boats. Such powers include KM LW airstrikes, calling in cruisers..
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:30 AM   #8
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

So far, I haven't noticed anything remarkable, or that raises an eyebrow. I'm currently in early 1944 with a Balao Class. TMO 2.0/Beta Patch
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 01:30 PM   #9
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Quote:
This may come as a bit of a shock to some. But I haven't really PLAYED this game in a couple years. So i have a few questions.

<questions truncated>
Answers in the order asked:

1) Yes. I started my career in S-boats out of Manila at the very beginning of the war. Have had regular refits/upgrades since. Currently driving a Balao-class.

2) Have had four new-to-me boats, a brand new Balao most recently.

One change was a downgrade from a Salmon boat to a Porpoise boat. Probably because I just about wrecked my Salmon; there was some comment when I put in at Midway to the effect that "the mechanics stare in wonder that your boat is still afloat." I suppose the downgrade to a Porpoise was the Navy's way of saying, "Until you prove to us that you can take care of nice things, use this rustbucket."

That seems realistic. I don't know how the Navy actually did things in WW2, but I assume that a badly damaged fleet boat would have been either returned to the US for repairs or scrapped. You wouldn't be going back out in the same boat a few days later.

3) I was "strongly encouraged" to retire after returning with the nearly-destroyed Salmon boat.

4) No notification whatsoever when I got promoted.

Another thing that's broken about the promotions: Any existing promotion statements are revised with the name of your newest command, instead of the actual boat you were commanding at the time.

Also: Thanks for putting in the ice cream maker! I just noticed that in the TMO 2.0->2.1 upgrade notes.
Old 02-21-11, 02:53 AM   #10
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Ok, i think I've figured out some things regarding refits, new commands, and retirements.

I've ahh.. been "patrolling" around Pearl Harbor a lot lately.

Just testing things out, seeing how the game behaves. A couple days and a case of beer later, i think i've figured it out. Before i continue, there is one thing about the games logic that i think is happening, and is a vital observation:

Refit and new command do not seem to be mutually exclusive. The criteria to get either is the same. So if you meet this criteria, the game offers you the choice of a New command, OR a refit. Naturally, (and unfortunately), the game seems to want to default to new command. So if your determined to see a single boat through the entire war, this poses a bit of a problem since the game just offered you a new command in place of a refit. This is why some people end up in 1944, with a prewar conning tower, and narry a refit in site. Every new command you decline, was where you would have gotten a refit, if it weren't for the game wanting to offer you a new command first if available. Only when a new command is NOT available, will the game reliably offer you a refit.

The rest, is all about patrol ratings. I'll just paste this here, and explain what i tried:

With how refits and new commands work in mind, for the following experiments, i modified my local game so ONLY the Tambor class was available throughout the war. Each experiment was done with creating a new career game in 1941.

Experiment #1:
Made the above mission pictured test worth 601 renown. Which would put each completion as a "Good" rating. I then ran simulated patrols where every other patrol, i deliberatly did not complete the reach area objective. This way, i would have good patrols, mixed with Poor patrols equally. In this scenario:

- I was offered to retire to Anapolis as an instructor
- it cost me renown to stay at sea.
- I recieved the first refit without problem. The second refit (much to my amazement) bugged the boats configuration.

Experiment #2:
In this run, i completed EVERY simulated patrol with a "good" rating. In this scenario.
- I was never offered a retirement
- It cost me no renown to stay at sea
- Recieved 2nd and 3rd refits, without any problem. (also, much to my amazement after the first experiment)

To make sure i was seeing what i was seeing here:

Experiment #3:
I lowered the renown requirements on what was classified as a "good patrol". to 250 renown instead of 600. I also lowered the renown awarded per test run to 300. The main reason for this, is because i wanted to make sure it was the patrol rating and not the cumulative renown earned that was the cause. I then ran every patrol to complete the objective and earn 300 renown for the "good" rating. Results were identical to test run number 2.
- I was never offered a retirement
- It cost me no renown to stay at sea
- Recieved 2nd and 3rd refits, without any problem.

After this, i took a closer look at the patrol rating formula, and starting hashing out some numbers.

New Campaign Rating = Old campaign rating + last patrol rating / 2

So lets say you start with 0 patrol rating. And go on your first patrol and score 620 renown. This places the patrol as "good". Which gives it a value of 1.

Old campaign rating of 0 + last patrol rating of 1 divided by 2 = 0.5
(0 + 1) / 2 = 0.5

So then i thought, well, ok, what happens if you don't get a "good" rating, but an "average" rating. How would that work out? In the above chart, an average rating is a renown score of 101 to 600, and it gives a patrol rating of 0.

So what happens if i apply an "average" patrol against my previous "good" patrol?

Old campaign rating of 0.5 + last patrol rating of 0 divided by 2 = 0.25
(0.5 + 0) / 2 =0.25

At this i realized, that an "average" patrol actually lowers your overall score. Halved it in fact. At this i developed a theory. It was my thought that if this number crunching was accurate, then if a made another test run with "average" patrols, then the results i should see, would be just like experiment number 1.

Experiment #4:
I modified the mission script to award 610 renown. To this end, i completed ONE patrol thereby effecting one "good" patrol rating. I then exited the game, and changed the test mission renown award to 250. Seemed like a nice number. Higher then 100, lower then 600. Definatly falls in to the "average" category. I then ran subsequent simulated patrols, deliberatly achieving an "average" patrol. Going by the numbers, my career score should drop each patrol, despite having earned 250 renown. That being the case, i should see what i saw in experiment number 1. Which i did:

- I was offered to retire to Anapolis as an instructor
- it cost me renown to stay at sea.
- I recieved the first refit without problem. The second refit bugged the boats configuration.

My conclusion is, that you MUST make a good patrol rating every patrol. An average rating won't do. It will pretty much cut your score in half. It's also my thought that the design behind how refits, new commands and retirements is supposed to work is flawed. Not to mention bugging the boats crew configuration.

An easy fix for refits not bugging out, and never being retired?
A.)Earn a crap load of renown (more then 600 if playing TMO)

or

b.) simply lower the value required to earn a "good" patrol rating
edit in data/cfg/UPC.cfg file:
Quote:
RenownValuesUS=-200,-100,100,600,1300,2000
I'd suggest 250, as thats what most missions reward. That way you get a good rating, just for showing up. (kinda like modern education eh? )

An easy fix to get refits instead of new commands, or at least get them reliably?

There's no easy fix for this that i can think of, other then isolating what boats are available, so the game has no boat to send you to as an upgrade. This means either
a.) removing all other boats from play (ive tested this, and it works)
or
b.) changing the "UpgradeClass="variable in EVERY submarine.upc file to be the same number, so no boat is considered an upgrade (This is untested )

Ok, clear as mud?

Last edited by Ducimus; 02-21-11 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-21-11, 02:59 AM   #11
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default I retired and then...

I retired and now they will not let me aboard any boat. I guess it is time to see if the U-Boat's will take me.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 03:04 AM   #12
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I retired and now they will not let me aboard any boat. I guess it is time to see if the U-Boat's will take me.
This is just how it works in SH4, I don't think it matter what side you play on. Of course, the effects on the stock german side would be negligable since there's only two boats to choose from, and neither one has a refit option.
Old 02-21-11, 03:28 AM   #13
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Well, that explains why I didn't get any upgrades before.

One question; how does the selection of easy, hard, very hard, etc. (at the start of a career), come into play?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 03:42 AM   #14
Mescator
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Well, that explains why I didn't get any upgrades before.

One question; how does the selection of easy, hard, very hard, etc. (at the start of a career), come into play?

I believe they simply determine which realism settings you start with. (It is worth noting though, the higher the realism, the more renown you get from sinkings)
Mescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 06:38 AM   #15
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Ducimus,
"RenownValuesUS=-200,-100,100,600,1300,2000"

This is what I have done for some time now, changing the 600 to 300 since the refit issue seems to be a problem, and although it helps, it is not a "silver bullet" even at 300.

I get offers for new boats more often, but the refits are still ellusive. And since I have been playing more of the Asiatic Fleet campaigns as I burned out on Pearl, if I accept a new boat, that is where you go and stay until operations for the newer boats open up in Brisbane and Fremantle.

What I am wondering though, is why I get offerred a Gato boat all the time when I'm on a Sargo or Salmon boat, without being offerred a Gar or Tambor boat first. If memory serves, the original SH game, yeah the old DOS game, would offer you a Gar, or Tambor class boat before getting a Gato.

I can see going from a Gato to a Balao since the designs evoled that way. Just wish they would offer the Gar and or Tambor boats if applicable to the Asiatic Fleet so you aren't transfered to Pearl every time, unless you want to risk using the older boats with increasing ASW by the enemy.
Yeah the Gar and Tambor don't go any deeper than the Sargo and Salmon boats, but te 2 extra bow tubes give you more firepower.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote