Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-19, 08:25 PM   #1
anluprilu
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default The Silent Hunter 5 in DVD

Hi all
I'm an old official of Silent Service (after that it was named Silent Hunter)
I have read all the other task and I will add one more if you allowed me.
In the online game of Silent Hunter 5 can you add your own mods? where?
I would like to buy the REAL DVD game but I can't find it all are online versions of SH5.
Thanks in advance
anluprilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 08:46 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

As I said already, finding that DVD - and here on Subsim - is more than a matter of luck, which I wish you...

Go look on e-Bay, your best bet, or ask in other game forums where sub sims are less likely to 'hit the charts' and where players exchange their games in some trading sections. You could get lucky there, especially if you find players who own that DVD and were not able to install SH5 and would be glad if you buy it at a good price (installing SH5 from DVD and make the game run is not possible without extended knowledge and not everyone visits Subsim to know how.)

Good luck

P.S:
Oh, and what's that:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240391

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-29-19 at 08:56 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 12:36 AM   #3
anluprilu
Swabbie

Thanks I will look for it in ebay
Old 04-08-19, 02:54 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi a
DO NOT BUY SECOND HAND SH5 DVD's period.
You will have a problem because the CD key is locked to the original owner.
Unless you can buy a new CD key then you will have wasted your money.
SH5 downloads are usually much cheaper and easy to install and can be purchased through Subsim
I do not advise the SH5 STEAM download as it is not compatible with a SH5 essential application unless you are going to excursively use it with the TWoS mega mod which has a STEAM conversion in its installer.
Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 07:57 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

The CD key you find on the backside of the included manual booklet (or printed on the disk) is usually valid for a world region, EU, US, Asia etc. So if I sell you my DVD from Europe, it will not install on your US system, but on every EU system.

I'm not 100% sure that's the way it goes for SH5 DVD however, by releasing this game Ubisoft was experimenting a new DRM system (with total failure from their point of view), so you are probably right, THEBERBSTER. This also means that at some point my DVD will not work anymore, not allowing me any longer to install the game.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-09-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 12:49 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi XS
Has the situation changed as this was not the case?
Login
Password
CD key
Is locked to the original user so when you use that CD key against a different Login and Password it will be rejected.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 01:04 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi XS
Has the situation changed as this was not the case?
Login
Password
CD key
Is locked to the original user so when you use that CD key against a different Login and Password it will be rejected.
Peter

Hi Peter, no, I'm not aware that this system has changed. So you are right: It means that my DVD can only be used by me, and because this DVD is not available in commerce anymore it just means what you say: any SH5 DVD comming from a second source will be unusable.

Anluprilu, the OP, should buy a digital download of the game usable with a U-Play account, that's the only solution I know apart from the Steam game. I have never seen SH5 in some game packs in stores in the past years, so I assume the game is only digitally downloadable today.
Old 04-09-19, 09:55 PM   #8
tomandre81
Watch

Downloads: 47
Default Re:

Okay, here is what I did. Not 100 % legal, but...
I bought the Steam version. Then I installed the game and that DRM Uplay also installed.
Then I registered the game with the key on Uplay.

I tried the TWOS mod with the new Steam fix / 2.2.11 installer (it comes with the installer)
Sadly the game was too full of bugs and glitches for my enjoyment.

Then I just downloaded a ISO file / DVD rip from the original (just search for "Silent Hunter 5 torrent").
The installer should not have "gold version" anywhere on it, since then you are 100 % sure it's a rip from the original dvd.

Install the game normally. Don't apply any patches / cracks that comes with the torrent.
go to the game folder: silent hunter 5/support/gameupdater/ and run the program GU.EXE

Then the game will be patched to 1.2

The game works fine with Uplay since Uplady doesn't care what version of Silent Hunter 5 you have as long as you have registered the key.

Run the game once and make sure it says 1.2 up in the corner.
I also run a single mission just to be 100 % sure

Then exit the game and install the TWOS 2.2.11 installer.
And READ THE PDF install tutorial (link from where you download TWOS on subsim)
You must read everything that is in the PDF tutorial or else you will ******** up since there are some small details there that is very important

Did I notice any difference? lol, not really
Game is still glitchy and buggy but I at least know now not to run timecompression over 512.
And if you are close to land lower it. And close to very big cities / harbours = x32!

Also run the game with administrator rights on and DPI off.
With my new install I also unchecked "run in windows mode" in the in game graphics settings. Not sure if that helps, but the game runs a bit smoother.

Happy hunting
tomandre81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 11:56 PM   #9
anluprilu
Swabbie

Whow thanks everybody for such valuable information ! It's clear No second hand DVD must be bought! So I will buy the online game by ubisoft and ..er..well...I will have a look and the others proposals ..eh eh..Thanks men!
Old 04-19-19, 02:19 AM   #10
AP514
Gunner

Downloads: 6

I ordered the SH5 Gold addition from Kinguin(now around $5) and downloaded it thru the Ubisoft-uplay.
Fast Easy.....
AP514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 08:27 AM   #11
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

[EDIT: I have updated this post to provide solution for the campaign transfer problem, and make a note about TDW Generic Patcher]

There is another solution for the Steam version to return the game to a moddable v.1.2.0 status, and remove all modding limits - and let the Steam interface go down the river, you won't need it anymore.

You must have your game updated to 1.2.0, Steam users have this one, or the patch is still on the net but you need to use the right one for your game type (Collectors Edition, or else). After updating, install TWoS and backup all these files:

EnvSim.act
kernel.dll
sh5.exe
SHCollisions.act
SHSound.act
SimData.dll

After that, you can uninstall TWoS and the game, re-install the game and overwrite your game files with the above ones. (Steam or U-Play owners do re-install 1.2.0 and overwrite the files above, old installs of 1.2.0 simply overwrite the files above).

You will then have a playable SH5 version 1.2.0 updated with TDW Generic Patcher and from there you can play stock or install any mods you like. Halejuja... And kiss good bye Steam or U-Play interfaces

Download and keep the very important mod 'TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0', put it in your game and apply it even after replacing the files here above, so you can be SURE to have a correct game setup upon which you can install mods you find here in Subsim.

After this you want to copy the entire SH5 game folder to a portable hard disk to be re-installed in the future with a simple copy-paste.

The drawback is: The campaign transfers will not work if you use different mods than TWoS. If you use your own modlist, then it must at least contain the following:

---------------
Your modlist:
---------------

TDW NewUIs 7_5_0
Open Horizons II v.2.5
OHII v2.5 - No Stupid Tonnage Bar_Free Style Campaign v0.1_NewUIs v7.5.0
---------------

If your modlist contains the 3 above - in that exact order please! - then you'll be able to transfer campaigns correctly in all cases.

Is all this procedure legal?
Yes, because based on game mods exclusively and you already own the game

But why should Steam users do this? I have mentioned all this to cut the story that Steam versions are limited - they are not after all this dance. But else, I see no better alternative to TWoS, maybe some other Megamod like Sober did, but else there is nothing worth to mod and spend your time with it (if you simply want to play SH5 and enjoy), you'd need to be an expert of SH5 to make the stock game play acceptably, I know what I'm talking about because I have 2 SH5 versions on my rig, and my stocked modded one is far from reaching the quality of TWoS.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-20-19 at 11:50 AM.