SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-17, 12:31 PM   #1
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Talking about our mod, I think the highest and most powerful lighthouses emit a light signal that, at best visibility conditions, can be seen as far as 60 km away from their source. I wish our mod to reflect those nominal ranges, but I am afraid that setting in-game rendering/atmosphere radius to 60 km, will be beyond the possibilies of the game engine and of our poor machines.
I am wondering what could be a good alternative. Scaling down the ranges by a factor 4-5 maybe, so that the longest ranged lights will be visible from a distance of 15-12 km, and shorter lights as La Plate will be visible within a radius of only 4-5 km? what do you think?
@ Kendras

I have noticed that Hitman had created a 20-km environment mod, but unfortunately the link is down

I have also seen that you had a 30-km environment mod planned. Did you make any progress with it?

A set of optional long-range environment mods especially developped for this mod would be a cool addition to it, but I am afraid their settings are a bit tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
The range of La Plate is 8 Miles (13km) - modern chart in screenshot shows characteristic as:
A group of 9 very quick flashes over a 10 second period, 19m high (as you said gap) with a range of 8 Miles (13km)
I have followed an empirical method in order to calculate (more or less) the equivalent range of 8 miles in the SHIII world.

What I have done, is plotting that 8-nm range on a nautical chart. Radius length on map was calculated based on the length of one degree of latitude/longitude at Raz de Sein's latitude. There are many on-line calculators that you can get this data from; I used the one below:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/degreelenllavcalc.html

The next step was squeezing the nautical chart I was drawing on, so that one minute of latitude was as long as one minute of longitude (as in the SH world). After doing that, La Plate's circular range became an ellipse.

I then measured the length of major and minor axes of this ellipse (real range), and I calculated the radius of the best-fitting SHIII range as the square root of the square of ellipse's semimajor axis plus the square of ellipse's semiminor axis. This is the result after drawing the SHIII radius on map:

Legend:
Red ellipse - 'squeezed' real radius
Yellow circle - SHIII radius (calculated for maximizing overlapping over non-overlapping areas)
Orange area - overlapping area between the two ranges

At this point, knowing that in SHIII one minute of latitude/longitude is always equal to 2 km, calculating the desired in-game radius was a simple math. My result is 15,107 metres, with an ecceptable margin of error caused by the approximations used

Quote:
Link to abbreviations and symbols - still searching for 1940's era symbols.

http://www.yachter.fr/shom/html5/sym...ndex.html#56/z
Still looking forward to them
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 01:46 PM   #2
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

If only all these converters were available when I was at sea

I'll resume the search for chart 5011 symbols mid-september. Off and away now Leave you in peace

Regards,

MLF
Old 08-20-17, 02:10 PM   #3
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
If only all these converters were available when I was at sea
Were you in the navy?

Quote:
I'll resume the search for chart 5011 symbols mid-september. Off and away now Leave you in peace
Enjoy your holidays mate, when you are back you will find us here
Old 08-20-17, 02:38 PM   #4
MLF
Weps

Quote:
Were you in the navy?

Enjoy your holidays mate, when you are back you will find us here
18 years

Thank you gap.

regards,

MLF
Old 08-20-17, 02:49 PM   #5
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Bonnes vacances !

Old 08-20-17, 02:59 PM   #6
MLF
Weps

J'espère bien.
Merci Kendras.
Old 08-20-17, 04:43 PM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Icon7

Quote:
18 years
You have all my respect Sir
Old 08-26-17, 09:34 AM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
@ Kendras

I have noticed that Hitman had created a 20-km environment mod, but unfortunately the link is down

I have also seen that you had a 30-km environment mod planned. Did you make any progress with it?
No, I am stuck on this. The sky is always black, and I don't know why ...
Old 08-27-17, 09:46 AM   #9
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've found a photography showing the aspect of La Vieille lighthouse during the 1930-1940s years.

And if it can help you, there are also drawings with precise measures.

http://mnesys-portail.archives-finis...he_grandpublic
Old 08-27-17, 01:03 PM   #10
MLF
Weps

Admiralty Charts of Scottish coasts, 1795-1963

http://maps.nls.uk/coasts/admiralty_charts_list.html

Browsing these gives an idea of chart symbols in use in 1940 on admiralty charts.

Regards,

MLF
Old 08-27-17, 02:26 PM   #11
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

What does the repeated black symbol mean ?

Old 08-27-17, 03:45 PM   #12
MLF
Weps

Mooring buoys.

Last edited by MLF; 08-27-17 at 04:06 PM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 04:20 PM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Good findings guys, thank you for sharing them you are amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
I've found a photography showing the aspect of La Vieille lighthouse during the 1930-1940s years.

And if it can help you, there are also drawings with precise measures.

http://mnesys-portail.archives-finis...he_grandpublic
Excellent view!

As far as I can see from it, the lighthouse hasn't changed much during the last 80 years. The elevator tower (the one destroyed in 2008) is hidden behind the main lighthouse building in the picture but you can see the Termperly crane it housed, to the right of the lighthouse. Apparently, also the concrete hut on the same side of the lighthouse was already there (it probably housed transporter's motor), and the balcony towards the top of the lighthouse is clearly visible. My only complaint is that the picture doesn't show if the concrete house currently covering half of the gallery, was there in the 40s. Probably yes, but in any case I will set all the structures above as configurable equipments, so it will be easy "switching" them on and off.

Did you happen to find similar pictures of the Tourelle de La Plate.
As I have said in the past, I am not totally sure that its original painting featured the black/yellow stripes it sports now...

Quote:

Browsing these gives an idea of chart symbols in use in 1940 on admiralty charts.

Regards,

MLF
I wish we had similar charts (and of that quality!) for other areas, including the West of France. In any case, chart symbols for buoyage, lighthouse and tower beacons (as La Plate), seem not to have changes much since then.
The problem with SHIII map icons, is that their resolution is too low and there is no way to increase. Asa consequence, making them to look smooth is not easy, and the more edges and thin lines they have, the worse they look. In any case I will do my best to draw a set of icons which resemble more closely the one seen on your maps

P.S: Work on La Plate "damage" models is finished. I am now importing the new meshes in game. Hopefully tomorrow there will be an update by me
Old 12-30-18, 10:54 AM   #14
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Quote:
@ Kendras

I know, that im answering about a year old post, but im reading this thread from first post...
If you want 20 km environment, install M.E.P. 6 (im not sure, but i think it was in v. 4.2 and later)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=229333&page=4

Last edited by JeromeHeretic; 12-30-18 at 11:19 AM.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 12:24 PM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Hi guys, sorry for the late replies,

unfortunately Kendras can't answer any longer on this thread since, apparently, an infraction by him was sanctioned with what now seems a permanent ban from subsim. You can get in touch with him on his personal forum:

http://kendras-sh3-modding.forumactif.com/

Since our last update here, we have made little progress with this mod: the Ile-de-Sein was added to the SHIII world (though I think Kendras wasn't too happy with its last layout), new lighthouse icons have been created, and together with several unfinished lighthouse models, I have worked on a port light model that I sent to Kendras for him to add it to the French ports. After that, there was a long stand-by caused by real life engagements.

As some of you already know, I have now started a new project for SH5 which deals mostly with therrain/tree textures, but among its features there are also terrain shape improvements, more realistic ports, and the modelling of natural and human-made landmarks, including daymarks and lighthouses. I am in constant touch with Kendras, and be sure that whatever I do will be passed on to Kendras for porting to SHIII

@ Seaowl:

Glad to read your comments on this thread too!

@ JeromeHeretic:

Thank you for your information mate. I will save it for future reference. In the meanwhile you might find interesting the following website gathering information on lighthouses worldwide:

https://www.ibiblio.org/lighthouse/