Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-15, 09:32 PM   #1
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default Sonar Sounds & Periscope Depth

Been playing a bit now and noticed a few things. I wanted to see what my fellow virtual (and real) fellow submariners thought.

Firstly, occasionally in some missions I will hear some strange sounds on the sonar. I know its not whales and the closest thing I can describe it is maybe rain on the waters surface? It doesn't sound like any kind of screws I am aware of...Is there another type of biological? I don't THINK its dolphins, not even sure if they are in the game. I don't think it sounds like dolphin calls

Secondly, the sea wolf seems to be pretty bad about coming up to periscope depth. It almost always goes above where it is supposed to and the sail breaches the water I don't seem to have that problem in the LA. One solution I suppose would be to always set the periscope depth manually. I was just playing as an akula and had it happen.

Nukesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 07:00 AM   #2
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

The 'rain' sound is shrimp nearby. I kid you not. Have truth on and you can see them!

As for the Seawolf breaching the surface when coming to PD, itdoes it to me too and I don't know how to stop it, apart from ascending manually.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 07:14 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesub View Post
Secondly, the sea wolf seems to be pretty bad about coming up to periscope depth. It almost always goes above where it is supposed to and the sail breaches the water I don't seem to have that problem in the LA. One solution I suppose would be to always set the periscope depth manually. I was just playing as an akula and had it happen.

Is your game patched to the latest version or are you using mods? I vaguely remember this being an issue with unpatched stock. Might need mods like LWAMI to fix it. Or I simply don't know it is still there in the game. As I usually play the LA, and hardly the Seawolf.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 09:34 AM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15

Concur with the strange sound being shrimp.

I've also experienced the odd PD problem and the solution I've found is to go to periscope depth at 5 kts or greater. Below that, the depth control goes all wonky for some reason.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 01:30 PM   #5
Nukesub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 56

Shipmates! Thank you for the informative answers. I would not have guessed that it was shrimp. Do they really make that much noise? I guess its just a huge swarm and I pick up that disturbance they make in the water...how interesting.

Also I am patched to the latest version and have been recently trying out the LWAMI mod and the problem still occurs. Though I think I am usually making turns for 3 kts when I try so I will give fpschazly's solution a go.

I appreciate the input
Nukesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 10:38 AM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Are you sure it wasn't one of these?

Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 01:16 PM   #7
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180

Ah yes, the Mk. 48 AdCap squirrel. Silent running, impervious to decoys (except piles of hazelnuts) and comes with it's own identification flag.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 01:43 PM   #8
Relmu
Watch

Downloads: 0

I can confirm, using the Cumulative patch to 104, that the SeaWolf has no idea what Periscope depth actually is and getting there automatically is nigh on impossible and extremely annoying to 'correct'. Needless to say... manually is the only solution I have found to that.

As for Shrimp. I advise you to google "Do shrimp make noise". I'd have linked directly, but getting membership to this site proved... tricky, thus I'm not willing to chance it. Apologies. The point though, is that shrimp really make a lot of noise accentuated by sonar.
Relmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 03:11 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Relmu!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-15, 07:52 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 06:59 PM   #11
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35

Sounds like shrimp, surface and fish so your crew can have shrimp cocktails.

As for the periscope depth, as someone else mentioned, you have to keep your speed at 5 knots or higher, at least you do in the akula, I don't play American subs much. The realistic reason behind this is besides initial diving and surfacing subs are kept at neutral buoyancy and depth control handled by the diving planes. Just as with a planes wings, you need water flow over the planes for them to work. When you try changing depth while stopped it's done using trim tanks and isn't very controlled, resulting in depth fluctuations. Not a bug, just realism at it's best